What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel size question

Humrnv

I'm New Here
I'm redoing the panel in my RV-6 and have a question about the size of the panel. I want to make the lower edge of the panel that has the 90-degree bend about an inch longer or lower depending on how you look at it. I included a pic of my panel and highlighted the area I'm talking about. The current width below the canopy edge is 1.5" and this is where my headset plugs are at. I want to lower the whole bottom edge by about one inch so I can lower my switches and circuit breakers to make room for the new screens that I'm installing. I'm not sure if this will create any issues with legs or knees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8846.jpg
    IMG_8846.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 45
I think it should be OK because the standard panel in the -7 and the -9 is taller than the -6.

An easy check for your situation and the people who ride in the plane would be to temporarily clamp a 1 inch thick piece of timber to the bottom of the panel to confirm there will not be any interference with sticks or knees.

Here is the oversize blank from Van's and the specs say it is 13 inches deep. The old panel is probably around 11 inches.

Depending on the positioning & length of your control stick, you may have to shorten it a bit to accommodate the larger, lower panel.

Here is an RV-6A panel ready for paint. The bottom part of the panel now sports an “apron” similar to an RV-10. The objective is to make the apron the mount for all the switches and breakers that stay in the plane when the panel is removed. This provides for much easier install, maintenance and future modifications. The radio stack comes out with the panel.

Carl

Attachments

• 9337F3FC-D47A-452A-A76D-79D6764993F6_1_201_a.jpeg
    9337F3FC-D47A-452A-A76D-79D6764993F6_1_201_a.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230605_202100.jpeg
    20230605_202100.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
Here is an RV-6A panel ready for paint. The bottom part of the panel now sports an “apron” similar to an RV-10. The objective is to make the apron the mount for all the switches and breakers that stay in the plane when the panel is removed. This provides for much easier install, maintenance and future modifications. The radio stack comes out with the panel.

Carl
This was the first mod I made to my RV-9A project after I got it home. I copied from my RV-10. Most of my switches are on it and anything electrical on the panel itself are fed to three 9-Dsubs for EZ disconnect and panel removal. The lower switch panel is attached to brackets using screws for future removal also.

I Bought a blank RV-7 panel from vans and cut it to match the top arc and other relevant cut outs to my my existing RV-6 panel. I think it is a full 3 inches “taller” ( lower toward the knees) than original for the -6. I have had no issues. I am 6’ tall. The extra real estate is wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_5655.jpeg
    IMG_5655.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5652.jpeg
    IMG_5652.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Back