What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Design and export

1bigdog

Well Known Member
Hi All

Does anyone have recent experience with PanelPlanner? Any on MAC OS - not critical.
I want to finalize my design in software and be able to export to dxf and/or pdf.
I'm building a 9A and installing a mix of glass (G3X) and some steam gauge. Is their database of avionics kept up.
Is it helpful for interference planning and for the sub-panel?
Would you rely on the output to cut a panel?

Thanks for your input.

I bought the panel planner software thinking it would assist me in getting customer panels laid out and cut more quickly. After spending a few weeks using it and a decent amount of time on the phone with their customer support, I decided it wasn't for me.

When I first downloaded the software, the import of the data (units and cutout dimensions) wouldn't download properly. They did promptly fix that item. This was using Windows 10.

However, there are some very basic functions of the program that are missing. There is no undo (control Z) function in the program. So, if you accidentally click on the wrong item and move it, you have to carefully replace the item. When you try to place an item based on X,Y coordinates, it would often round them one way or the other, which wouldn't leave it in the correct spot.

There were some units that had incorrect cutout dimensions. They did fix the items that I pointed out, but I felt like I needed to double check everything before getting it cut.

The program is great for doing a rough initial layout to give the customer an idea of what the panel would look like, but in my opinion is not capable enough to really be used to export a .dxf for a final cut.

I hope that is helpful.

thanks

I bought the panel planner software thinking it would assist me in getting customer panels laid out and cut more quickly. After spending a few weeks using it and a decent amount of time on the phone with their customer support, I decided it wasn't for me.

When I first downloaded the software, the import of the data (units and cutout dimensions) wouldn't download properly. They did promptly fix that item. This was using Windows 10.

However, there are some very basic functions of the program that are missing. There is no undo (control Z) function in the program. So, if you accidentally click on the wrong item and move it, you have to carefully replace the item. When you try to place an item based on X,Y coordinates, it would often round them one way or the other, which wouldn't leave it in the correct spot.

There were some units that had incorrect cutout dimensions. They did fix the items that I pointed out, but I felt like I needed to double check everything before getting it cut.

The program is great for doing a rough initial layout to give the customer an idea of what the panel would look like, but in my opinion is not capable enough to really be used to export a .dxf for a final cut.

I hope that is helpful.

Very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Michael B.

Ditto

I was really excited about the panel planner software. After using it for awhile, I found that it did not meet my expectations...

xpanel5000 and up north aviation

I used this one (https://www.xpanelsoftware.com/) to get a rough drawing, then this guy (http://www.upnorthaviation.com/) to finalize it and cut the panel. Turned out really nice.

The xpanel 5000 had to run in windows 10 VM on my mac - no native Mac version. What's nice about it is the very complete database, and if you find something he does not have in there, he'll add it very quickly.

Back