What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint stripping

rvbuilder2002

Legacy Member
Mentor
Is there anyone that works in aircraft refinishing that can recommend a stripper that works well on 2K clear and epoxy primer?

Thanks guys for the recommendations.
Unfortunately, the 5 gallons these are only available in is way more than I will need.

Scott, I’ve personally had success with eco-strip from Stewart systems. It comes in one gallon jugs. Heat and time are very beneficial when you use it.

Can't beat good ole fashioned methylene Chloride. While not available via retail you can still get it from Spruce ($30/gal). Can't remember which brand, but one of them is still MC. Need to read the data sheets to see which one it is. Avoid the Dimethylene stuff. That is the eco friendly stuff that works poorly. I can run to the garage to get the name off the bottl if interested.

Last edited:
Can't beat good ole fashioned methylene Chloride. While not available via retail you can still get it from Spruce ($30/gal). Can't remember which brand, but one of them is still MC. Need to read the data sheets to see which one it is. Avoid the Dimethylene stuff. That is the eco friendly stuff that works poorly. I can run to the garage to get the name off the bottl if interested.

Probably the PTI stripper / quart that has rave reviews. It is still on the web store but shows no price and if you click add to cart nothing happens. Oh darn.

Scott, I’ve personally had success with eco-strip from Stewart systems. It comes in one gallon jugs. Heat and time are very beneficial when you use it.

I may give this a try.
Hopefully it works better than the stuff from the hardware and auto parts stores.

Have you had any success with it removing epoxy primer?

Have you had any success with it removing epoxy primer?

I have. I epoxy primed and single stage painted some interior parts. Then I decided I didn't like the color, and used the ecostrip to remove all of the primer and paint. The key, IMO, was to apply the stripper then put a layer of plastic over it and put the whole thing in the sun to keep it warm while the stripper did its thing.

I stripped my 6A with the hardware stuff that had Methylene Chloride. I found that the strength of the stripper varied a lot from can to can. Maybe the MC evaporated from the can that sat on the shelf. When stripping I had to strip twice. Once for the top coat and a second time to get the primer off.

I wish I could still buy methylene chloride based strippers. You can strip in an hour what hydrogen peroxide strippers take all day for. It would be really cool if you get the acid strippers from the 1990’s. That stuff took everything off. Including your skin :D

I stripped my 6A with the hardware stuff that had Methylene Chloride. I found that the strength of the stripper varied a lot from can to can. Maybe the MC evaporated from the can that sat on the shelf. When stripping I had to strip twice. Once for the top coat and a second time to get the primer off.

Unfortunately, none of the general consumer strippers available any more have MC as ingredient. In fact they say so right on the front label.

C'mon Down Under

We can still get the original MC (dichloromethane) as well as a new safer, but less effective version at Bunnings (equivalent to Home Depot). The MC stripper is effective on paint and also on "Proseal" type tank sealant and powder coating. Must wear good PPE and work in a well ventilated area or outdoors. Might need to stock up...

Attachments

• 20230806_125234.jpg
    20230806_125234.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 12

It must be shaken each time you take some out of the jug. They mix in compounds to thicken the stuff and you get lots of settling when it sits. Forget just once and you end up taking out a bunch of the active stuff and the remainder of the jug is now ineffective.

It is PTI Certified Sure Strip. I bought a gallon from Spruce last winter and used it to strip paint from some tanks that I was resealing. Paint was bubbled and fully detached in about 5-10 minutes and literally rinsed off with water. Only methylene chloride can work that fast, so pretty sure that is what is inside the bottle. Possible one of the regulators caught up with them.

Back