What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-Mag Timing Fu**up

Swiss14A

I was lately introduced to the concept of "****up-sessions", where in a company you do a competition for the biggest ****up. The goal is obviously to learn and avoid the same mistakes in the future. My latest attempt in P-Mag ignition timing would be a good candidate for such a session.

After doing our second annual/100H maintenance this week, my wife and I wanted to finish up with a ground run and check everything. It was already 11p.m. and I was tired after getting up at 4 a.m., working an early shift, then 10 hours in the workshop to finish the annual. It was already dark outside and we pulled the plane out of the hangar and onto the apron. I went into the cockpit to do the runup, because my wife had to go to the loo. She agreed to observe from the outside. The cowl was not installed, so we could check for leaks after the runup...
When attempting to start the engine, I didn't use the checklist. And the engine just didn't want to start... After realising my mistake, I turned ignition on (dual p-mag with separate switches) while the engine was turning. of course it "shot" twice, but didn't start. I stopped, waited half a minute and tried again. Also no success. And my wife even saw some fire/flames but couldn't locate them exactly. It was dark, so you could see them, during the day probably not...
Because we were both tired and suspected the engine to be flooded, we decided to pull the plane in the hangar again and try on the next day. So we finished everything up and went home.
Only then we were thinking about what happened and what we could have done wrong. Spark plugs were in, fuel was ok, p-mag timing was set, ... Just to be sure I checked the manual again for the timing... Only then I realised, that there are two ways of timing! The marks on the flywheels propeller side for the starter, AND the mark on the flywheels engine side for the crankcase top line!!! I mixed up and used the propeller side for the crankcase top line, where the crankase halfs come together! That explained everything.
So the next morning we went back to check. And sure it was exactly what happened! It seems like the position I set the P-mags was such, that the intake valves were still open. So it fired probably back into the air intake. We removed the plugs, borescoped the cylinder, removed the snorkel and inspected the fuel injector (Air Flow Performance 150). The injector had a lot of black soot inside the fuel injector and also a bit in the snorkel… so those were the flames my wife saw, probably shining trough the snorkel in the dark…
After cleaning and checking everything, we made sure to set the timing correct and did another runup… Now as always, fired up after one or two blades and run smoothly. We did a runup, high power check (as high as the brakes allow) and everything seems fine.
We checked the engine after the runup and couldn’t find anything worrying. The post maintenance check flight had to be postponed because of some shower cells and thunderstorms moving through the area, but we will do that tomorrow. It seems that we were lucky and did no damage!

What did we learn:
- it was the third time we set the timing (initial, 100H, now 200H), not enough to be experienced, but enough to feel so…
- our life is packed with things just now, that’s why we split the 100H-Maintenance into several small parts, ans also did maintenance after tiring morning shifts and until late; we have to slow down
- I marked the flywheel clearly and hope my markings survive 100hours of flying :)
- It’s not really a failsafe design from Lycoming to have two different markings stamped on two sides of the flywheel :)

Black soot inside the fuel injector by Fabian Hummel, auf Flickr

Last edited:
Hei Mickey

The foto just shows my finger smearing through the black soot inside the fuel servo ;)

No the filter looks good… Interesting post though!
I think because the valves were open, it didn‘t really build up a lot of pressure… also we didn‘t try for long as we thought the engine was flooded and best to let it sit for a while (overnight in this case)…

I’ve been arguing for years ( decades? ) that to have variable timing in an aircraft w/o an in cockpit display of the timing advance is foolish.

Thanks for sharing.......we all learn from this.
The Pmags annual checks full of potential pitfalls.
I have learned to unplug one plug wire at a time to ohm check least I reinstall it in the wrong place.

Working those kind of hours and trying to finish it while you are so tired, essentially ensures one is at the top of the class in the "****up-sessions"

But I am glad you figure things out and didn't decide 'I need to finish this tonight' and to force the engine to run by trying more times.

Award

Glad everything is ok
Our workplace had a trophy. It was not the award you wanted to win because, you owned it till the next person won it. It could take years to get rid of it. No I didn't win it but one winner was pushing a bus into the shop and shoved it right though the door on the opposite side. Another winner drove a bus into the oil change pit.

.......... to have variable timing in an aircraft w/o an in cockpit display of the timing advance is foolish.

Sure, but the data which generates the timing display would come from the P-mag, and we know that was timed to the engine incorrectly, which means the display would be incorrect too (relative to crankshaft position).

Don't work or work fast when tired - especially on aircraft. You should feel lucky it was an item found on the ground.

Lots of jobs allow screw ups - and there are people to inspect and clear up the mess. Personally, working on aircraft and items that absolutely must work properly does not fall into a category where "mostly right" is ok. Thanks for serving up a good example. 2 thumbs up!

Way back in the 1990's when I was a junior officer attached to a Seabee battalion, while deployed, our commanding officer had a weekly "camel award" (something to do with being humped) that went to the officer with the biggest screw up from the preceding week. Their punishment was to buy the wine for the wardroom dinner we had together each weekend. It was all good fun, and was designed with the same intent as you mention; to not make the same mistake twice.

Back