What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Out of things to buy?

rthur

I'm building a -14 in France, but traveling to Richmond for work in November. Ideally I'd fill up my suitcase with RV bits to save on shipping, but I'm running out of ideas! Any suggestions?

Things I already have / am trying to get:
- "Standard" tools, plus a Numatx squeezer
- B&C alternator and regulator
- FlyLeds nav and landing lights
- JDAir tail wheel, yoke, fairings, and canopy latch
- Pitot tube and mount
- Avery Oil Door latch
- Antisplat oil separator and ultimate gust lock
- Aerosport armrest and throttle quadrant
- Beringer wheels
- Krogger sunshade
- Metal eyeball vents

I've not made a decision on avionics yet, so that's out of the question. But maybe spools of electrical wire? Or a bunch of adel clamps?

Thanks!

Bogert tow bar and jack pads. Both are excellent.
Cleveland Tool spring hinge for oil door. Heck, almost any Cleveland tools.
Small halon fire extinguisher.

Maybe pitot/static/AoA install kits? Lines, fittings, pass-thru grommets. Available from several vendors.
Fuel tank sealant (Proseal)
Stick grips if you already know what you want

If you have your harnesses done by Vans or someone else you won’t need much wire.

Customs is going to love sorting through your luggage ;)

Parts

Difficult to make suggestions but based on your signature...

Tools, tools and more tools. Bring back a Harbor Fright Store!

If you have tools, then lets go with other stuff...
-Pitch & Roll servo mounts and servos if you know what brand you want.
-Pitot, AOA, Static plumbing
-Extra fasteners (bolts, nuts, washers, nutplates) and rivets. That's a lot more than you might think. Make a list. It will save a lot of shipping to buy half dozen of every size and nutplate. Nothing worse than running out of one.
-Adel clamps. Lots and lots of adel clamps
-Fiberglass supplies. That's lot of stuff. Epoxy, fabric, blah, blah.
-Primer?

Last edited:
Thank you for all the ideas - this is really helpful! My wallet was too heavy anyways.

Maybe Crow seat harnesses. Wouldn't Beringer wheels be better sourced in France since it's a French company :confused:

Harnesses are a great idea, thank you. I am ordering Beringer wheels directly from them in France (it's one of the few parts I can get locally!), the list was "stuff I already have", not everything I'm fitting in my suitcase.

Bogert tow bar and jack pads. Both are excellent.
Cleveland Tool spring hinge for oil door. Heck, almost any Cleveland tools.
Small halon fire extinguisher.

Tow bar is a good idea, thank you! I think the FAA doesn't allow fire extinguishers in checked luggage.

Maybe pitot/static/AoA install kits? Lines, fittings, pass-thru grommets. Available from several vendors.
Fuel tank sealant (Proseal)
Stick grips if you already know what you want

If you have your harnesses done by Vans or someone else you won’t need much wire.

Customs is going to love sorting through your luggage ;)

I think the RV14 kit includes Van's static kit. I'm a bit worried about Proseal shelf life, but good shout on stick grips! I completely forgot about those.

Difficult to make suggestions but based on your signature...

Tools, tools and more tools. Bring back a Harbor Fright Store!

If you have tools, then lets go with other stuff...
-Pitch & Roll servo mounts and servos if you know what brand you want.
-Pitot, AOA, Static plumbing
-Extra fasteners (bolts, nuts, washers, nutplates) and rivets. That's a lot more than you might think. Make a list. It will save a lot of shipping to buy half dozen of every size and nutplate. Nothing worse than running out of one.
-Adel clamps. Lots and lots of adel clamps
-Fiberglass supplies. That's lot of stuff. Epoxy, fabric, blah, blah.
-Primer?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Fasteners are a good idea, did you need lots of spare ones in general? Or mostly for fasteners that need to be removed during inspections?
Adel clamps is also a great idea, lots of build logs mention needing a ton.

I haven't received my FWF kit yet, but I think Aircraft Specialties are now supplying their hoses direct to Van's! I hadn't seen their alt air door actuator, thanks for the tip.

Out of Things to buy

Have you considered fairings at rear rudder cable exit. Metal fuel caps instead of Vans standard. VPX and or PPS? Cowling attach instead of standard Vans upper and or lower? At least two US options. Fuel drain and overflow fairings.

Be careful what you take with you onboard the airliner in your carry-on bag. It is my understanding that the TSA will not allow certain tools, implements, or other weird mechanical devices to pass through airport security. Best to put such items in checked baggage.

Fasteners

<snip>
Thanks for all the suggestions! Fasteners are a good idea, did you need lots of spare ones in general? Or mostly for fasteners that need to be removed during inspections?
Adel clamps is also a great idea, lots of build logs mention needing a ton.
<snip>

I find it much easier to work with more choices so I have a few of every size in the most used dimensions. Sometimes the Vans callout is a hair too short or long. Order extra AN3-3 and AN3-4. You use a lot assembling Adel clamps.

Yes, you need extra for disaasembly and reassembly. I don't reuse Nylocs.

You need a lot of extra screws.

I don't think it's possible to have too many Adels but a few sizes get used a lot. #4-#12. You want heat rated FWF.

A few other items down the road.
Wire single and shielded (18, 20 & 22). Start a list.
Heat shrink tubing
Connectors & pins & tools

1. Skybolt cowling fasteners (https://store.skybolt.com/vans-rv-1014-c711.aspx)
I did the top of firewall, but I wish that I had done the entire cowling

2. have you purchased all the specialty bucking bars and dimple dies required for the 14?

3. locking heater vent cables.

4. Everything from Aircraft Specialty (https://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html): fuel line kit, FWF hose kit, U1024 spacers, brake hose kit, etc. The wing root filter kit looks cool (not available when I built. Just email them and ask what you "need" based on your build.

5. Are you QB or slow build? If slow, then you will have to make or have a cframe made for the Numatx. BTW this squeezer is awesome. I have the plans to make frame.

6. how many tungsten bucking bars do you have? IMO--at least two. small square one and a longer rectangular one.

Back