What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh rental car

PHOTO01

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong spot for this post!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a rental car company for Oshkosh? We are flying a Navy aircraft in and are looking for the preferred option. Our hotel is in Appleton so unless Uber is a legitimate plan we are hoping to reserve a car.

Thanks as always to everyone for their help!! This is such a great community..

Good luck with a rental car, they were probably all reserved months ago, and extremely pricey for a big event. (At least in years past, I go with Plan B these days).

Don't know if uber will be feasible or not. Check out buses from the airshow to Appleton -- there have to be some -- and that will at least help.

Flew in to Appleton one year a few years back. There is a BUS that runs from Appleton to OSH and used that to get to AirVenture. My friend and his wife also had flown into Appleton. Since we both had same departure day / time, he arranged for a Uber or Lyft (I forget which) to get us back to Appleton.

There is a bus service to and from Oshkosh/Appleton.

The bus service brings you to the "circle" near the main gate. You should get the schedule as one year I arrived expecting to use it and it was TOO LATE for bus service.

There is no NEED to rent a car unless it is wanted to get around Oshkosh.

I usually reserve my rental car in February for Oshkosh, but somehow forgot this year. Last week I checked with Enterprise, and they were sorry, but had nothing…..except in Appleton! So I reserved a car there, and will either get a ride up there (yes, they have Uber, but I’ve also got friends with cars….), or I might just fly in too Appleton this year - it would make a nice story to do the show that way, and folks have seen all my airplanes….

But I’ll probably come up with an excuse to fly in to the show anyway!

Paul

Another option is the Turo car sharing app. It's basically the Airbnb of cars. You're renting a car from an individual.

Antonio,

You don't say what type of Navy aircraft. If it's multi-place, perhaps you can drop someone in Appleton to pickup your car.

If it's a Corsair, you'll have to take the bus or alternative to Appleton to pick up your car.

After one day of driving to and from Airventure and parking there, I suspect that you'll prefer to ride the bus back and forth.

Another option if the aircraft has multiple seats is Madison (MSN). There is an Air Guard base for fuel and a commercial airport for rental cars.

Turo

Definitely check Turo. I often fly my 7 to model plane contests. Usually smaller airports where rentals are a PITA. I've used Turo about 10 times now with great success.

Turbo app for the win

I think you mean TURO... This is an App that connects renters with car owners for cars to rent, think AirBnB for cars. You have to get vetted. You will be asked to take pictures of DL and you holding DL. Turo has list of cars, photo of car, pick up location, rate, owners rating, message system and handles payment. Expect to save 25% to 50%. There are old cars, but they have late model and exotic cars to rent, at least in destinations like Vegas. Airport rentals have airport tax/fees.

I rented a 2008 Honda Civic in Las Vegas for two days to go to tourist sights out of town. However for most of the week I used the bus or walked. The down side was I had Uber cost on both ends as the car pickup and drop off was not at airport. However if I planned it better I could have taken bus for cheap to get to and from airport. Still it was cheaper and a nice car. ****

You don't need to leave the convention site if camping. There are buses to take you to nearby shopping center. There are food marts, food vendors and big outdoor bar, beer tent just off site within waking distance. I recall 10 yrs ago I fell in love with a beautiful Mid-West waitress at the beer tent... Ha ha.

**** Like all rental car companies or individuals car you rent, TAKE PICTURES. Draw a sketch and document all damage, even minor. My experience was great.

Last edited:
Antonio,

You don't say what type of Navy aircraft. If it's multi-place, perhaps you can drop someone in Appleton to pickup your car.

If it's a Corsair, you'll have to take the bus or alternative to Appleton to pick up your car.

After one day of driving to and from Airventure and parking there, I suspect that you'll prefer to ride the bus back and forth.

I wish it was a Corsair! We are bringing a T-6A “Texan II” in from VT-10 aboard NAS Pensacola. For years and years I’ve wanted to make the trip and this is likely the last chance to do it in a Navy aircraft. So super excited to say the least!!

Back