What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

one cylinder high EGT

Lycoming O-360-A1A
10–4164 carb
dual p-mag
fixed pitch

Im trying to chase down a single egt that is high only a full throttle so far i have:
replaced egt probe
all new plugs/wires
replaced all intake tubes, new intake flanges, new gaskets with permentex added to gaskets

at full throttle only my cylinder 1 egt will spike to 1350 or so degrees while the other remain the same. As soon as i reduce from full throttle the egt begin to even out. when running lower power and leaned out egt spread is very close.

see the savvy report below: i tried a lean, rich , lean test at constant MAP at altitude and all egts were about a 300 degree spread or so

https://apps.savvyaviation.com/flights/shared/flight/7526260/d8820ce2-ba6a-463c-9274-cc4198de44c7

whats going on here?

Have you stuck a camera in there and moved the prop to check what the valves in that cylinder is doing?

I'd also check plug leads and change plugs (especially since they are so cheap). One plug not firing will result in a high EGT as the gases are still burning on their way past the EGT probe.

The carburetor supply liquid fuel to the air stream.
The weight (mass) of the fuel is much heavier than the air.
With increased air velocity the distribution/ mixture of the fuel to the cylinders will be less exact with a carburetor. You could try with a larger main nozzle.
This will increase the fuel flow but will not change the distribution much.
A fuel injected system will provide better fuel distribution to each cylinder.

Good luck

At full throttle, try pulling carb heat and see if there is a change.... Wait for it. That may give you a clue.

Back