What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil separator

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Do you have an oil separator installed. Looking for input on the pros and cons. I was told returning the oil to the engine via the separator is bad. I looked at Antispataero, but they return the oil to the engine. Other then a cleaner belly, are there any real gains. Thanks…

I installed the Anti-Splat system with safety bypass and other than the clean belly (which is worth the cost of installation by itself IMO) I have no empirical evidence of anything else pro or con.

Last edited:
Someone once told me that walking under a ladder is bad luck. All sorts of opinions in the world.

The EPA hasn't allowed automakers to vent crankcase gases to the atomosphere since the 70's. Each one must ingest those gases back through the intake and some use a separator first to return the liquid parts back to the crankcase, as it keeps the stuff from building up in the intake system. If this was a bad thing, I think we would have figured that out by now. My separators drain back to the sump, as does the BMW in my driveway. All three have given great service with no signs of trouble. The general rule is that if it came from the engine and hasn't been contaminated with external influences, it is ok to put back in the engine. Most modern auto engines even send some of their own exhaust back into the engine (EGR).

Last edited:
Interesting article Dan! I see on the last page that your RV8 and another non-RV aircraft are running a product that you designed/built with great success. At least that was the case in 2016 when the article was published. Do you market/sell a “Dan Horton shop built” system for the RV10?

Regards,
Zach

No. My separator can is homebuilt, but quite conventional. The large AntiSplat can is similar and readily available.

Not a fan of the clamp on tailpipe tap. Weld a tap in a headpipe. Use NAPA 2-2900 check valves, for exhaust tap and the safety.

No. My separator can is homebuilt, but quite conventional. The large AntiSplat can is similar and readily available.

Not a fan of the clamp on tailpipe tap. Weld a tap in a headpipe. Use NAPA 2-2900 check valves, for exhaust tap and the safety.

Perfect, thanks!

After reading Dan’s article on the oil separator (informative info) if I install one on my RV10, I may save the little bit of oil deposits on the belly, but the trade off is I will be cleaning the tube for coking. Additionally I will also have to be vigilant about coking blockage. Still wondering about a return line to the engine vs a drain can. Is the scavenger oil that’s returned good because it reduces oil consumption or bad because of the other compounds returned with the oil.

I have one of the basic spun aluminum ones for homebuilts and it drains into the engine sump. Works, belly is cleaner and oil consumption is a bit less. After using it four years now with no change in oil analysis results and zero maintenance needed, I guess I will keep it in place.

Rich, maybe it's not for you.

Me? I listed six benefits and can probably think of more. I measured temperatures and pressures long ago, and examined before and after Blackstone reports for two RVs. I've since monitored coking rate for 8 years.

"Other compounds" returned to the oil? I don't give a rat's *** what "they" say, because they don't bring data or apply physical fundamentals.

Last edited:
Back