What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure Restrictor Fitting Angle

mack55

Patron
Apologize in advance if this has been covered before but I did search the forums.

Do it right or do it twice!

I hung my engine and realized that I have the older style accessory case with only 1 Oil Pressure port. In order to install the 45* restrictor fitting I have to remove the engine from the mount. Fortunately I haven't connected any wires or started on the baffling. The instructions state to have the fitting point 45* downward and 45* outward. Can someone please post a few pictures of how the Oil pressure supply hose is routed past the motor mount and Mag? I am going to be installing P-MAGS.

Also, I think that this is the only fitting that needs to be installed before the engine is installed, but if I am missing something else please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Is this the line you're talking about? If you need additional pics, let me know.

Not all my wiring is adel clamped and tied off yet.
1710903070835.png

Last edited:
That's the line! I just have to use the port to the right of yours. I am wondering if I can turn that fitting another 90-180* to have it exit and miss the motor mount.
I just looked at the other port and would turn it 180 and just have it go down enough to clear the engine mount. In other words keep it on a horizontal plane but just slightly pointing down.

Note: Line it up where you want it to end up before pulling engine from mount and mark both the fitting and engine case with a sharpie so you have a target when assembling.

Last edited:
I just looked at the other port and would turn it 180 and just have it go down enough to clear the engine mount. In other words keep it on a horizontal plane but just slightly pointing down.

Note: Line it up where you want it to end up before pulling engine from mount and mark both the fitting and engine case with a sharpie so you have a target when assembling.
This is one of those pesky little items that seems to be overlooked or not realized until the engine is on and all the other accessories are installed. Then you have to disassemble alot of stuff just to change a fitting. We hear about it alot. Especially with newer builders.

I used one of these and had no trouble installing it with the engine mounted. You then put whatever AN fitting into it that suits your need. I also had the older style case with the only port available being the one pointed at the mount with limited clearance.

img 1.png

Last edited:
I used one of these and had no trouble installing it with the engine mounted. You then put whatever AN fitting into it that suits your need. I also had the older style case with the only port available being the one pointed at the mount with limited clearance.

View attachment 58892

View attachment 58892
Those fittings have been used for decades on Pitts aircraft. The S1S plans call for that fitting. They are automotive fittings called a "street elbow" . Pitts plans call for a rivet pressed into the end with a small hole to create restrictor.

View attachment 58892
Thanks for this idea!

Thanks for the guidance. Going to try the street elbow first. Worst case well pull the 4 bolts and use your sharpie method!

Thanks for the guidance. Going to try the street elbow first. Worst case well pull the 4 bolts and use your sharpie method!
There was a street fitting and a straight nipple already on my used engine, ex-Piper. The straight nipple has a restrictor as part of the fitting, but there are also loose restrictor fittings available that insert into the hose end. I couldn't get the Van's 45 degree restrictor to thread into the street elbow with the engine on the mount, so I used the straight restricted fitting that was already on the engine. I haven't tried the loose inserts pictured below, but that might be easier than trying to modify a nipple with a restrictor orifice with confidence that it would never come out and slip back into the engine side.

raceworks-rwf-399-03-5-1_a5e98918-e36c-45b3-a0ba-2cadab937fe6_600x600.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 58892
I went to Advance Aircraft Parts tonight. Bought a brass street elbow but I couldn't get it to clear the mount once you began to tighten. Any links you can share on the one you bought? Much appreciated. I like this idea since its serviceable down the road.

I had to change my fitting to get a different angle. Was able to do it by removing the top two mounts and loosening the bottom two but not removing them. Lowered the engine crane to let the engine "sag" enough to get in there, then back up to re-install the top mounts.

BTW, I made my restrictors by using a -3 rivet with a small hole drilled through.

View attachment 58892

I went to Advance Aircraft Parts tonight. Bought a brass street elbow but I couldn't get it to clear the mount once you began to tighten. Any links you can share on the one you bought? Much appreciated. I like this idea since its serviceable down the road.
go to mcmaster carr. available there in brass or SS. These are NOT street elbows. street elbows are a pluming term that simply mean they are male on one side and female on the other and the plumbing standard is female female, hence the unique term. Not sure the official name of the fitting I posted but it is a special one designed for tight clearances.

Larry

Back