What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil analysis kit

PH-SCP

Well Known Member
Hello RV'tors,

I am getting close to my 50 hours check on my RV-9 and I would like to do an oil analysis to verify how my O-320 is doing.

Aircraft Spruce offer several Oil Analysis Kits.
Which one is dependable ?

Cheers

Blackstone Labs

I've used Blackstone Labs for a number of years and am happy with their service. You can order the kits (prepaid, or just order free kits and pay when you send in sample) off their web site:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

You can pull up your results report history on-line if desired and they'll email you the reports as well.

If you want to see example of what you get from Blackstone (I expect other labs do something similar), the report from my December 2010 oil change, including the previous results for trends, is posted on my RV web site at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/PhaseIIflying/OilAnalysis.htm

Last edited:
Blackstone

Ditto OneCharlieKilo...! They email results and will even call you if something worries them. Great guys.

Probably the key is to use one lab rather than getting analyses from multiple labs (my two cents as a user of chemical labs on a regular basis, though not necessarily for oil). What you want to establish is a trend, and each lab will have some slightly different procedures, but typically they are internally consistent, which makes for better long-term comparisons of your data.

greg

Thanks

Thanks guys... I mailed Blackstone Labs for a kit and will work towards a lasting relationship with them to analyse my oil.

:)

Blackstone is great!

Just keep in mind they don't know your flying habits and view the results as a long term trend, try not to overreact to a single analysis.

Not sure you still qualify as a newbie Michael :D

As for me (yes, the popcorn is ready) AOA does fine, and has done so for quite a few years and oil changes by now.
Quick processing, and all the most relevant values and graphs in the reports.

Blackstone would be my next choice, but their literacy essays are not really helpful, some of the analysis looses clarity in the amount of data, and they’re more expensive. Also their shipping containers are way bigger, thus only qualifying as parcel, against AOA‘s envelopes, certainly a factor when shipping from abroad.

Back