What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

o360 vs o320 engine mounts

mekoRascal

I'm New Here
I just bought a partially complete RV7 kit that came up for sale locally. It came with the engine mount for an O-360, but I have an O-320 in my hangar from a past airplane. I called Vans and they no longer do exchanges and the lead time for a new mount is estimated to be a year+. My understanding is that the only difference is how far forward the mount ring is; does anyone know the specifics? I thinking about taking it to a local engine mount builder and having it modified. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

what prop are you thinking of?

If you can find the dimension difference, and the weight differences between 320 and 360, you can see how much the w&b would be impacted by a 320 CS with your mount compared to a 320 FP with Van's mount.

You could also consider using a steel crush plate on a FP prop. SabreMFG.com - up to 20 pound crush plate.

what prop are you thinking of?

If you can find the dimension difference, and the weight differences between 320 and 360, you can see how much the w&b would be impacted by a 320 CS with your mount compared to a 320 FP with Van's mount.

You could also consider using a steel crush plate on a FP prop. SabreMFG.com - up to 20 pound crush plate.
I haven't gotten that far yet, i literally bought the kit a few hours ago. I was thinking about a ground adjustable composite. I'm not actually picking it up until next week. At the moment I'm just trying to get a handle on the big items I'm going to need.

I've done several C172 180hp upgrades, uses the same engine mount as before, engine is 1" wider, baffles are different. If its a very old C172, you have to check that there is a 'star' welded onto two of the 3 way tube intersections.

And there is about a 15 lb weight difference, you can narrow the gap with a lightweight starter.

So if your engine mount is set an inch or two back for W&B reasons, there are plenty of other ways of adjusting your W&B.

Don

Originally I planned to narrow the gap on my plane with a heavy alternator. Had one on hand, one less thing to buy. Ha. Cowling is so tight it won't fit.
I don't know if a heavy starter will fit under the RV cowl.

Would love to know what the difference is in the engine mount. Last time I looked at the Type Certificate Data Sheet for the Lycoming 320 and the Lycoming 360 / 180 HP, there was only 10-pounds difference in weight. The useful baggage load on my RV-6 would be a fraction or a lot less without my Hartzell constant speed prop. Would get to the aft CG limit without adding much weight in the baggage compartment.

Would love to know what the difference is in the engine mount. Last time I looked at the Type Certificate Data Sheet for the Lycoming 320 and the Lycoming 360 / 180 HP, there was only 10-pounds difference in weight. The useful baggage load on my RV-6 would be a fraction or a lot less without my Hartzell constant speed prop. Would get to the aft CG limit without adding much weight in the baggage compartment.
A search has revealed that Chad Jensen posted in 2013
"
When I built my 7, I planned a 320. Ended up with a 360, but the 320 mount is 2" longer than the 360 mount. Not really a way to tell unless they are right next to each other.

BTW, I used the 320 mount with the 360 engine and the cg worked out great, and it gives a longer nose look...very cool. :cool:"

Keith Rhea
RV7
2024 Donation

Back