What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 B2B ND cylinder choice

moto657

I'm New Here
I am gathering parts for an overhauled O-320 B2B narrow deck (160HP).

Looking for opinions on what cylinders I should buy. Both options are new parts.
Option 1 - Lycon ported Superior. $1915 ea.
Option 2 - Stock Lycoming. $1975 ea.

Cost is really close, so the choice is about performance and durability.

I am gathering parts for an overhauled O-320 B2B narrow deck (160HP).

Looking for opinions on what cylinders I should buy. Both options are new parts.
Option 1 - Lycon ported Superior. $1915 ea.
Option 2 - Stock Lycoming. $1975 ea.

Cost is really close, so the choice is about performance and durability.

I been flying same engine (Narrow Deck B2B) converted to constant speed for 26-years.

I had low S/N (008, 009, 010, 011) Superior investment cast cylinders that went 2,200 hour that was match flowed / ported but not by Lycon. I had them overhauled. The bore still had the crosshatch and were measured at new spec with the taper sides.

ONE of the rebuilt cylinders did not want to break in and had very low compression. One of the valve seats had separated from the head and there was a hole in the intake port. The large valve spring washer that the valve spring sits may have been in spec but the outside diameter was larger and created a hole.

The shop that did the work would not do anything and neither would Superior as the cylinders made it to TBO.

The Superior and Titan cylinders may flow better than the Lycoming cylinders new out of the box but the Lycoming cylinders just appear to work.

I have had lots of good luck with lower cost Superior Air Parts but bad luck with one of their cylinders. Because of this bad luck, I would pay the few extra dollars and get the Lycoming cylinders.

Last edited:
320 narrow deck cylinders

If you can wait, Continental PMA cylinder prices for Lycoming(R) engines are going to be very competitive after the 1st of the year through the main distributorship (Boeing) and others.

If you can wait, Continental PMA cylinder prices for Lycoming(R) engines are going to be very competitive after the 1st of the year through the main distributorship (Boeing) and others.
I too will be looking at some ND cylinders soon. Can you say why things would become more competitive next year??

If I am not mistaken, the Continental PMA cylinders will be the old ECI cylinders that they acquired when the same outfit that purchased Continental also purchased ECI.

I presently have ECI steel barrel cylinders on my 160 HP ND Lycoming and have had excellent service. They broke in quickly and use very little oil. I can / have gone over 40-hours since oil change before needing to add a quart of oil.

In the past, the ECI cylinders were just a little less expensive than the Superior cylinders. This was more than a decade ago.

When there were three sources of NEW cylinders, the prices dropped from all the sources.

Last edited:
Back