What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New product?: RV-7/9 Slider windshield fairing

N2756C

Any interest among builders of RV7s and 9s for a full windshield / windscreen fairing for Sliders?

This part would be used by 7 and 9 builders when attaching the windscreen. It is a full mold of the fiberglass surrounding the windshield - including the intersection of the windscreen and boot cowl and the full profile up and around the windshield. It extends foward of the windscreen about 8". It also has some extra overhang behind the rollbar that could be trimmed to fit your particular aircraft.

In practice, this part would be used in conjunction with a wet layup of epoxy and microballoons to seal the fairing in place. It could save many hours of labor versus a conventional multiple layer build-up of fiberglass.

I've just completed a mold and will post some photos of the finished part. I'm interested in learning if any builders are interested in this part. No pricing yet -- I'm just interested in seeing what interest exists.

Thanks,

Robert
www.pilotlights.net
RV9A flying
RV10 fuselage

interesting

I would like to see some pictures of it when you get a chance.

Thanks.
Christopher.

Correct fit?

I have already cut my windshield and am wondering how that is going to fit your fairing. I bet every windscreen is a little different because they are hand cut.

Whij does it extend 8" in front of the windscreen? does that have to be cut-off as well?

Regards, Tonny

slider molding

Any interest among builders of RV7s and 9s for a full windshield / windscreen fairing for Sliders?

This part would be used by 7 and 9 builders when attaching the windscreen. It is a full mold of the fiberglass surrounding the windshield - including the intersection of the windscreen and boot cowl and the full profile up and around the windshield. It extends foward of the windscreen about 8". It also has some extra overhang behind the rollbar that could be trimmed to fit your particular aircraft.

In practice, this part would be used in conjunction with a wet layup of epoxy and microballoons to seal the fairing in place. It could save many hours of labor versus a conventional multiple layer build-up of fiberglass.

I've just completed a mold and will post some photos of the finished part. I'm interested in learning if any builders are interested in this part. No pricing yet -- I'm just interested in seeing what interest exists.

Thanks,

Robert
www.pilotlights.net
RV9A flying
RV10 fuselage
Robert,
If the quality is there, definitely interested. One piece I would assume. Shipping could be an issue that large a singe piece.
Mike H 9A/8A

Windshield fairing

Thanks for your comments.

We'll shoot some pictures this weekend as we pull some additional products from our mold.

In response to a few comments: the box size is large but I believe it will still be within the UPS standards and not outrageously expensive to ship.

Also, so far, we've seen this fits most installations fine but it still requires a wet layup of epoxy to fill any gaps between the fairing and the boot cowl / windshield and roll bar.

It extends forward and aft of the windshield to provide enough room to custom trim the installation. The foward excess material helps allow for a nice taper down to the metal boot cowl.

I'll post pictures and work up some pricing this weekend.

Robert
N2756C RV9A
N1UV (reserved) RV10 fuselage

I'm interested...

My finish kit is due to ship from Van's next week, so I'm several months away from needing it, but I sure would like to minimize the fiberglas work on the canopy install.

Last edited:
Robert,
If the quality is there, definitely interested. One piece I would assume. Shipping could be an issue that large a singe piece.
Mike H 9A/8A

it might be possible to cut it down the centerline for shipping... then just install each half and fill and smooth the place where it joins together during install.

I've installed two RV windshields (mine and helping a friend). It seems there is lots of variability in where the bottom of the windshield ends up and how it overlaps back near the rollbar.

I'm a little concerned that trying to get a pre made fairing to fit up might be more work than just doing one from scratch on the plane. However, if it works then great! Especially for folks doing the sika thing this might fit well.

Last edited:
Photos of new windshield fairing product

All,

I've taken an initial set of photos of the new full windscreen fairing for RV7 and RV9 (a) sliders. I'll admit that I'm not a fiberglass expert but my partner on this job is very, very experienced in working with fiberglass. (It's his day job)

Any technical questions I'll defer to him as we get this product launched. We will pull a few initial sets over the weekend.

For fit - we've built in a good amount of overlap on the rollbar side. For the front edge and fit against the windshield - we think we have this correct, but we want to run a few tests...

I'd like to find a Southern CA RV7 or RV9 builder for a test fit. We are very confident that the fairing will fit well but want to further test it out. Obviously, someone at the appropriate stage of construction is the best candidate. Please email me if you are nearby. We need to see and work with the mold to ensure we have the proper fit and the proper quality and depth / taper to the mold.

The aircraft in the photos below is my RV9A from which we made the original mold.

here are some photos of our test fit today. We have not trimmed this completely for installation.

view.php
[/URL][/IMG]
"BEFORE"

view.php
[/URL][/IMG]
AFTER

ANOTHER VIEW

This is my first attempt at loading photos on Doug's site. I'll post others and answer questions either on the Forum or by private email.

Robert
www.pilotlights.net
[email protected]

I'm interested and could use in the next few weeks for a 9. I layed one up before and that was the worst job on the plane to get right. My concern would be for the as shipped surface finish. If not basically ready to prime after trimming, it would not be worth the trouble if you had to go through much of the microballoon fill and smooth process as well as the inital fit and bonding.

canopy skirt

Robert are you associated with a certain canopy builder named Charles out of Hicks Field, Texas? Myself and several other builders had a very bad experience with this individual. Just asking.

I am that exact stage right now................send me one and I'll install it as soon as I get it out of the box to see how it fits.

No kiddin, gimme a call. Check your pm for my number:D

No

I'm not sure who you're talking about... I have heard about someone at Hicks but don't know them personally. I'm in Long Beach, CA

Also, I spoke to Jay by phone today and although he doesn't remember me, I've spoken with him on a few occasions in the past. Jay had some great suggestions on the fairing. Also, Mel was the DAR on my 9A, if you know him.

Robert

canopy skirt

I'm not sure who you're talking about... I have heard about someone at Hicks but don't know them personally. I'm in Long Beach, CA

Also, I spoke to Jay by phone today and although he doesn't remember me, I've spoken with him on a few occasions in the past. Jay had some great suggestions on the fairing. Also, Mel was the DAR on my 9A, if you know him.

Robert

Robert
Since you are in California, then you probably would not know this guy.
This person was promoting a carbon fiber canopy system,based out of a hangar at Hicks Field,Tx who fleeced several builders out of their money, even with a written contract. He was a good composite man but had losy business practices. I'm not saying that you would stoop to such a low level as this individual did, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth. I was one of the fortunate ones and finally got my refund from him after a year of legal threats. Don't take this personally, but I learned my lesson and would never pay in advance for a product from anyone again who wasn't a well established business. I wish you the best success with your product. Not only is quality of the highest importance but so is honest customer service.
Just my 2 cents from a wary Oldgeezer

Robert,
The layups look great.
I wish that was available when I was executing the task.
I'm sure it will be a big seller.

Update

I've cut and pasted this info based on some private emails I've received on the part:

UPDATE
======

The fairing is looking good. We're making some improvements to the mold based on our test fits. We're adding some additional curve to the over-the-rollbar section. This makes it easier to close the vertical gap between the fairing and the sliding canopy. The fit on the boot cowl and fuselage sides is solid.

Question for discussion - shipping is the biggest issue for one-off sales. Would a buyer consider using this if it were cut in half exactly down the centerline? It would actually be easier to fit (working from each side towards the center, when bonding) but adds a little bit of work to close any gaps after bonding it to the aircraft and windshield. Your comments are appreciated.

Also - Other changes we made include preparing the mold to produce a painted part (less pin holes).

Robert

Would a buyer consider using this if it were cut in half exactly down the centerline? It would actually be easier to fit (working from each side towards the center, when bonding) but adds a little bit of work to close any gaps after bonding it to the aircraft and windshield.

Robert

I think the cut sounds like a good idea if it makes the fairing easier to fit and it isn't too hard to close the gap. Perhaps you could make the two sides slightly longer than they need to be, so they could be trimmed in the middle to make a perfect butt joint that would barely show.

Quite honestly, after paying beaucoup dolleros for shipping from Van's and for shipping of engine, prop, etc., I for one would be willing to pay a little extra for the shipping to get the product in one piece. Of course, if this will make it more difficult to fit to the a/c, that is, having no way to adjust ANY of the dimensions, that is a different story.

Do you have a ballpark figure for what the product would cost (understand that this would be a BALLPARK figure) and what the shipping would be?

I am one VERY interested builder.

Peter K
9A QB

Estimated Pricing

All,

We're producing our first finished products next week. Our materials include top quality Aeropoxy (epoxy resin), slow hardener, and 8.8oz bidirectional cloth to produce a rigid and strong part. Additional steps include painting the mold during layup to produce a painted part with less pinholes. The extra steps add some time and expense, as you can imagine.

We have not finalized pricing but expect it to land around $450 (FOB Long Beach, CA). We could cheapen the part by eliminating painting and use cheaper materials but we have decided to try and make this as easy to install and finish as possible. Having personally worked on my own 9A fiberglass as well as this mold, I think the quality will be worth it.

For the first few parts produced, we're interested in working with local builders to ensure the part fits and the mold is correct. We're willing to provide free transportation of the part within So Cal in exchange for the ability to post photos, etc. of new installations.

Please let me know if you have interest - particularly if you're in Southern California as the shipping has not yet been resolved. We're looking at box and crating options and will advise when we're ready to ship outside our local area.

Additional photos and specifications will be available shortly.

Best regards,

Robert
www.pilotlights.net

Sliding Canopy Fairing RV-7 & 9.

Hi Robert
I am interested but I am not a local and you may not have it fully sorted yet anyway , however I thought I would enquire regardless.
My kit is due to be packed for shipping around the 10th / 15th March , and it may be too difficult to address this so quickly before my 7A is packed ? ?.
My email address is ' [email protected] ' should you think it is possible to get one to Vans for including in my kit.
Obviously I would like to see a series of photos first to confirm it is along the lines I picture in my minds eye.
Regards
Allen Buckley ( Gold Coast - Australia )

RV Slider Fairing - shipping now

All,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. We've improved the mold and pulled and test fit our first few parts. The photos posted here show a fit to a RV9A.

Builders interested in the part can email me directly at [email protected] or through our website at www.pilotlights.net

We'll post some additional photos to pilotlights.net soon.

view.php

view.php

view.php

view.php

view.php

The shipping size meets UPS' standard 108" linear size maximum and provides good protection of the one-piece molded part.

The part itself is made a little oversized on the forward skin contact area, sides and over the rollbar to better fit individual installation variances. We also added in some curvature to the over the rollbar section to allow the part to close the distance to the sliding canopy.

The part is made from Aeropoxy resin and 4 layers of 8.8oz fiberglass cloth. The part is primed when laid up resulting in a molded part with very few pinholes. Builders should expect to do some level of trimming to fit and final touchup of the part before painting. It's just not possible to make a one-size fits all part that is plug-n-play.

The fairing allows you to install the windshield per the Plans and then, using epoxy resin, bond the fairing to the aircraft and windscreen. This should save quite a few hours versus the normal piece-by-piece layup. See the photos for a good example of what it looks like before and after. (Although the photos show an unprimed part - all parts shipping now are primed in white color 2-part epoxy primer).

Pricing is $450 FOB Long Beach, CA. Please contact me via PM or direct email if interested. Thanks again to all the builders who contacted me with suggestions during the development.

Robert
N2756C 9A flying

Last edited:
RV Slider Fairing Now Available

We've begun shipping our new RV7(a), RV9(a) Slider Fairing and have received positive feedback from our initial customers.

7 or 9 builders can reach me with any questions at britta_imports "at" yahoo.com

RV Slider Fairing

Builders: Based on conversations with Van's, we believe this product also fits RV6's.

Robert

Testimonies

Hi all,

Has anyone used this product and could provide some feedback please with reference to quality, fitting etc etc. ( Preferably for a 7 )

Thanks

Back