What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Pilot dreaming of building RV-10

Bhargav

I'm New Here
First of all a huge thank you to the admins for adding me to the forum.

Hello All, I am a new PPL holder and got my ticket in July'23. As soon as I got my PPL, i started flying friends and family and have racked up around 92 hrs total so far. I also dream about building my own RV one day but have many newbie questions.

One question I have is, as a builder, do you also install the engine at the home garage and then tow the aircraft to the airport ? how does it work for folks that does not have a hanger at the airport? Do you have to have at least a tie down sport at the airport so that after the test flight, the airplane can be tied there?

In all the videos that I have watched on youtube, I see builders working in a hanger at the airport and just push the aircraft out and take it for a test flight..

TIA for answers and guidance

Last edited:
One question I have is, as a builder, do you also install the engine at the home garage and then tow the aircraft to the airport ? how does it work for folks that does not have a hanger at the airport? Do you have to have at least a tie down sport at the airport so that after the test flight, the airplane can be tied there?

Welcome Bhargav!

Answer to questions...

Yes, you can install engine in home garage before moving to airport. I did. You should have seen the neighbors come out on 1st start!!!

You will need a hangar to move project to eventually. I had everything built, but no wings attached until at airport. Used a flat bed tow truck to get it there.

I suppose you could do a tie down, but that won't be conducive to finishing the plane. You will need tools, air, etc... that a tie down may not have. I can't imagine trying to finish a build without a hangar. Not saying it can't be done. Just saying I wouldn't want to be the guy doing it.

Good luck with the venture if you choose to do so!!

A real concern in many areas is obtaining a hangar. Many airports frown on any maintenance out in a tie-down. Yes, you can mount the engine while the project is in your garage, but not the wings. At a bare minimum make friends with someone with a hangar, so you can borrow it for final assembly, plus maintenance. One of the big benefits of an EAB is that you may legally do your own maintenance. Building a -10 is a multi-year project. Contact the local airport authorities, find out how long (in time) the hangar waiting list is, get on it. e.g. I waited almost 3 years for my name to make it to the top, which was about when I was ready to move to the airport.
Don’t stop flying. Insurance for a -10 will want you to have a few hundred hours (and instrument rating will help, too).

I'm building a 7, but the concept is the same;

I built the airframe and installed the avionics in one extra deep bay of a a 3 car the garage on a rolling cart that I made out of 2x4's. I then took over a second bay for about a week while I was installing and rigging the wings, including drilling the aft spar for the wing angle of incidence.

When I started building I got on the waiting list for a hangar at several nearby airports and by the time I got airframe to that point I had a T hangar so when I took the wings back off I moved everything but the fuselage to the hangar in a rental U-haul trailer.

I moved the fuselage back to the single bay, put it on its gear and installed the engine.

Currently working on engine baffles, canopy skirts, stuff like that.

it's super convenient to have it at home, but in a month or so I hope to have all the details wrapped up, at which point I'll trailer into the hangar for final assembly.

What I've described isn't the only way to do it, but it's pretty common.

Welcome Bhargav!

Answer to questions...

Yes, you can install engine in home garage before moving to airport. I did. You should have seen the neighbors come out on 1st start!!!

You will need a hangar to move project to eventually. I had everything built, but no wings attached until at airport. Used a flat bed tow truck to get it there.

I suppose you could do a tie down, but that won't be conducive to finishing the plane. You will need tools, air, etc... that a tie down may not have. I can't imagine trying to finish a build without a hangar. Not saying it can't be done. Just saying I wouldn't want to be the guy doing it.

Good luck with the venture if you choose to do so!!

Thank you for the welcome. I plan to start the build in my home garage whenever I start but looks like I will need a hanger for the final assembly:)

A real concern in many areas is obtaining a hangar. Many airports frown on any maintenance out in a tie-down. Yes, you can mount the engine while the project is in your garage, but not the wings. At a bare minimum make friends with someone with a hangar, so you can borrow it for final assembly, plus maintenance. One of the big benefits of an EAB is that you may legally do your own maintenance. Building a -10 is a multi-year project. Contact the local airport authorities, find out how long (in time) the hangar waiting list is, get on it. e.g. I waited almost 3 years for my name to make it to the top, which was about when I was ready to move to the airport.
Don’t stop flying. Insurance for a -10 will want you to have a few hundred hours (and instrument rating will help, too).
I am in the same boat, we have a long wait list for hangers at the near by airports :(
I am planning to start my IFR in the fall of 2024 and get at least 400hrs of total flight time before going for the first flight of the build.

I'm building a 7, but the concept is the same;

I built the airframe and installed the avionics in one extra deep bay of a a 3 car the garage on a rolling cart that I made out of 2x4's. I then took over a second bay for about a week while I was installing and rigging the wings, including drilling the aft spar for the wing angle of incidence.

When I started building I got on the waiting list for a hangar at several nearby airports and by the time I got airframe to that point I had a T hangar so when I took the wings back off I moved everything but the fuselage to the hangar in a rental U-haul trailer.

I moved the fuselage back to the single bay, put it on its gear and installed the engine.

Currently working on engine baffles, canopy skirts, stuff like that.

it's super convenient to have it at home, but in a month or so I hope to have all the details wrapped up, at which point I'll trailer into the hangar for final assembly.

What I've described isn't the only way to do it, but it's pretty common.

I think I will do the same, get on the list as soon as I complete the IFR and start the build.

Any recommendations on any books on aircraft building that I should start reading?

I thought of volunteering and helping out a builder in order to gain some insight on the build process and some hands-on but didn't find anything.

Thanks all for the info.

A good place to start is by just reading builder logs. A bunch of folks on here have links to their logs in their signature blocks.

Bhargav,

You didn’t mention if you have joined EAA. That’s a great way to surround yourself with other builders. You can learn by leaps and bounds by getting involved in a local EAA Chapter. I see you’re based in the Seattle area, and there are several very active chapters there.

Maurice.

So I'd say the majority of builders get their projects to the point that's up on its gear and install the engine prior to moving to the airport. A lot of folks will then have a flatbed tow truck move the rolling fuse to the airport. My EAA Chapter had repurposed an old boat trailer that they installed a plywood deck on for this purpose. To finish the aircraft you're going to need a hanger, but that doesn't mean after it's done it can't be tied down on the ramp. Many EAA Chapters have "member hangars" for the sole purpose of completing projects. My advice is get on your airport of choice's hangar wait list now -- don't wait as in many areas it can take years to finally get a hangar. Finally as you start your educational journey, don't forget about the EAA How to Videos available on the EAA website -- there's hundreds of them that cover almost every aspect of building.

Last edited:
Bhargav,

You didn’t mention if you have joined EAA. That’s a great way to surround yourself with other builders. You can learn by leaps and bounds by getting involved in a local EAA Chapter. I see you’re based in the Seattle area, and there are several very active chapters there.

Maurice.

Hi Maurice, yes I am exploring the eaa chapters near me and will be joining one soon. I also went through some videos and pages on the eaa website, very good info on how to get started.

So I'd say the majority of builders get their projects to the point that's up in its gear and install the engine prior to moving to the airport. A lot of folks will then have a flatbed tow truck move the rolling fuse to the airport. My EAA Chapter had repurposed an old boat trailer that they installed a plywood deck on for this purpose. To finish the aircraft you're going to need a hanger, but that doesn't mean after it's done it can't be tied down on the ramp. Many EAA Chapters have "member hangars" for the sole purpose of completing projects. My advice is get on your airport of choice's hangar wait list now -- don't wait as in many areas it can take years to finally get a hangar. Finally as you start your educational journey, don't forget about the EAA How to Videos available on the EAA website -- there's hundreds of them that cover almost every aspect of building.

I will get on the hanger wait list, good info on eaa I will join a chapter

One thing to consider is the noise generated by building. I know people who are building almost completely in their garages and then going to the airport for final assembly.

I tried that. We had (we moved) a lovely three car garage with lots of space. My wife's home office was relatively close to the garage. After a month of the air compressor and the buck rivets, I was looking for a hanger. I'm sure the neighbors weren't happy, either, but they didn't say anything. If you live on a ranch with a barn, fantastic. Build away for years without complaint. If you live in a neighborhood with houses fairly close together, and you plan to work in the evenings, you might want to consider another space.

One thing to consider is the noise generated by building. I know people who are building almost completely in their garages and then going to the airport for final assembly.

I tried that. We had (we moved) a lovely three car garage with lots of space. My wife's home office was relatively close to the garage. After a month of the air compressor and the buck rivets, I was looking for a hanger. I'm sure the neighbors weren't happy, either, but they didn't say anything. If you live on a ranch with a barn, fantastic. Build away for years without complaint. If you live in a neighborhood with houses fairly close together, and you plan to work in the evenings, you might want to consider another space.

Good tip, I never thought about the noise.

Good tip, I never thought about the noise.

Unless you have a student or spouse working in an adjacent (lateral or vertical) room, the noise from your build probably won't bother anyone. Certainly not your neighbors as long as your garage or shop door is closed.

Regarding noise -- It also depends on if the garage space is insulated, and the type of insulation. Currently in my garage, I used Rockwool (Roxul) insulation for the walls and attic truss bays. It is currently not covered in wall board (sheet rock or plywood). The Rockwool does a great job at both insulating and absorbing sound waves. While I would prefer to eventually sheet rock the garage, I rather enjoy the reduction in noise levels when I'm working out there. It does not have the "echo" that I have experienced in shops with steel sheathed walls or other hardboard. (note- I still wear ear protection when riveting and when the air compressor is running)

Also, by insulating, the garage is also more stable in temperature and humidity. I do have a mini-split AC unit to run when the temp and humidity get outside my comfort zone. I only ran it for about a month this summer.

If you live on a ranch with a barn, fantastic. Build away for years without complaint. If you live in a neighborhood with houses fairly close together, and you plan to work in the evenings, you might want to consider another space.

...or better neighbors. :)

Build all at home

Build all of it at home. Even stab the wings ,, if you can get 3 days between rain?
Move to hanger after it’s finished, finished, finished.
You won’t drive 40 minutes or a hour,,, round trip,,, to do a 10 minute job.. do all you can at home.
You have to have a hanger for your tools, after it’s finished. Preferably with a fridge ,, potty, and sink. Chairs, and a couch, so you can nap and wake up and see your creation.

Build all of it at home. Even stab the wings ,, if you can get 3 days between rain?
Move to hanger after it’s finished, finished, finished.
You won’t drive 40 minutes or a hour,,, round trip,,, to do a 10 minute job.. do all you can at home.

1000% agree with this. The progress decrease once you move the project to the airport is incredible because you don't have the convenience factors - both the time/distance and the fact that you don't have a comfy couch for a 15 minute break or a restroom nearby or...

Advise

All great advise. Especially hangar waiting lists and finishing as much a possible at home. You may end up paying fir an empty hangar at some point but it's a necessary evil. Dropping off a list could take a long time to get to the top again. Inkeep my name on nearby waiting lists and if a good one come up, I will keep two till she's reasy to fly.
My 7A is almost ready to move to the hangar and the few trips to work on stuff at the hangar are not fun. I have to make a list of everything I need because I still need it all at home.
The only words of wisdom I would add is find a Mentor. Play or help in their shop till your comfortable with building processes. You will make a friend for life with similar interests. You will know what stuff like tools and mods you want to buy. It's just a fabulous way to get into building. I still learn from my Mentor Dave all the time.
Videos and EAA Chapters are great too. I learn by performing a task so it helps me to have someone show me then immediately critique before bad habits form.
Best of luck
Build on

All great advise. Especially hangar waiting lists and finishing as much a possible at home. You may end up paying fir an empty hangar at some point but it's a necessary evil. Dropping off a list could take a long time to get to the top again. Inkeep my name on nearby waiting lists and if a good one come up, I will keep two till she's reasy to fly.
My 7A is almost ready to move to the hangar and the few trips to work on stuff at the hangar are not fun. I have to make a list of everything I need because I still need it all at home.
The only words of wisdom I would add is find a Mentor. Play or help in their shop till your comfortable with building processes. You will make a friend for life with similar interests. You will know what stuff like tools and mods you want to buy. It's just a fabulous way to get into building. I still learn from my Mentor Dave all the time.
Videos and EAA Chapters are great too. I learn by performing a task so it helps me to have someone show me then immediately critique before bad habits form.
Best of luck
Build on

Lot of great info from everyone!... I have already started making my to-do list.

I will start by joining an EAA chapter near me and hopefully will find a mentor.

Back