What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Panel: replacement metal question

ntspdy

Hello all, I’m gearing up for a refresh of my panel and wanted to see what others have done when replacing or covering the side metal pieces of a -8 panel. I’ve got a new center panel section and I’m working through the new layup design but I also want to change the side panel sections. What is the best way to either reskin or cover these sections? I’ve attached a photo of the section I’m attempting to replace.

Attachments

• 2E2B6D9B-F7D1-4820-A7CC-F2D94AAD7DD0.jpeg
    2E2B6D9B-F7D1-4820-A7CC-F2D94AAD7DD0.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 166
RV8 side panel replacement

I have replaced the right side panel in my RV8 twice. I cut most of the panel out with a pneumatic air saw. Leave the outer 1/2 inch all the way around. I then made a cardboard template to fit, and then cut the aluminum replacement. Rattle can paint the panel. You can find a close match for almost any color. Best part is that the replacement is now flush with the main panel and looks better. If you desire another change you simply unscrew the side panel and make another. 7C7218F7-354C-463F-8C33-54D91D838306.jpg

Last edited:
Did this on an RV-8A. Recommend not replacing as it will mess up the fuselage paint. So two options:
- Order the side wing parts from Van’s to overlay the existing side panels, or;
- Use a couple of pieces of 0.032” aluminum to cover the side wings. For this you need to match drill for the center panel #8 screws.

When you go to mount the new components drill both the new cover and the old side wing, use the stuff you are mounting to hold the new skin outboard of the center panel screws to the old side wings. After all the new holes are drilled, disassemble and paint along with your new center panel.

Carl

Back