What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to make a few parts

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am stalled on my -14A build waiting on kit bag # 3215-1, which contains the small parts needed to mount the nosegear onto the firewall. Van's is giving me a non-committal 6-8 week delivery for this bag, which is the same answer I have been getting for many months. I have determined that 15 of the 18 part numbers are in stock at Van's (I hope), leaving only three to come up with. These three parts are all something I can make on my lathe if I have the dimensions. This is where I am hoping some other -14A builder(s) might have these three parts on hand and can give me a few critical dimensions. Here is what I need:

BUSH-F-ST438X750X1.32 This is a flanged steel bushing. I need the thickness of the flange on the end. The other dimensions are included in the part number.
U-00711 This is an Axle Spacer. I need inner and outer diameter, and thickness. I assume it is aluminum.
U-01420-1 This is called a Cap Link Assembly. It looks like a single piece of aluminum in the store picture, but might be two pieces. I need all the dimensions to machine one from bar stock.

If anyone has these parts handy and can shoot me a pm or an email with the dimensions, I would be forever grateful. Thanks.

d dot rohrer at twc dot com

I made several backordered parts and each time I requested the engineering drawing from Van's builder's support. They emailed me the drawing within a day.

Update

Got a phone call from Kevin in Builder Support telling me he was emailing the drawings I requested, but advising me not to try to make the Cap Assembly because of special heat treatment required. He also advised that everyone at Van's is doing inventory and nothing is shipping for maybe two weeks, which we kind of already knew. He gave me some hope that my B/O parts will get here soon, so I will hold off on fabricating my own parts. He has an engine on order for about the same length of time as me, so we commiserated about that. He believes our deposits are good and Lycoming is running 2-3 months behind promised delivery dates. I really appreciated Kevin's call during this time of anxiety.

Got a phone call from Kevin in Builder Support telling me he was emailing the drawings I requested, but advising me not to try to make the Cap Assembly because of special heat treatment required. He also advised that everyone at Van's is doing inventory and nothing is shipping for maybe two weeks, which we kind of already knew. He gave me some hope that my B/O parts will get here soon, so I will hold off on fabricating my own parts. He has an engine on order for about the same length of time as me, so we commiserated about that. He believes our deposits are good and Lycoming is running 2-3 months behind promised delivery dates. I really appreciated Kevin's call during this time of anxiety.

Any news is good news... Thanks for the update. I hope your parts turn up soon!

Back