What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to fabricate, no plans

walkman

Well Known Member
For my upcoming panel refresh I will need to fabricate a new part.

I bought this airplane, and consequently have no plans.

It is what I would call the lower RHS switch/breaker panel. Not sure what its really called. Its the folded sheet metal piece in the lower right hand side area of the cockpit that many builders mount switches and breakers to.

What is the official part # of this piece?
What type of sheet metal is it made from?

It looks like a pretty easy piece to duplicate, any gotchas?

I would buy a set of plans from Vans for future reference. A preview set may be sufficient. In the meantime though, I'm sure someone will get you a part number shortly. My plans are all at the airport and today is a family day but there is bound to be a builder with access nearby.

It is what I would call the lower RHS switch/breaker panel.

If you're talking about the triangular panel below the right hand switch console, that's not a kit part, just something that many people make up to fit the area. I would use .032 sheet and match up to the part you have already. Here's a picture from Mike Elliott's site.

FP06012011A00011.jpg

You may have higher expectations for "plans" that you get. The drawings are primarily for identification of parts and assembly, they are not dimensioned drawings as an engineering drawing of parts or assemblies with a list of part numbers. That said, they remain your best reference (with instructions) for understanding your plane, assuming you did not get a thousand build pictures, a build log, all documentation for components, wiring diagram etc from your builder. Also there are a number of OP drawings that have necessary detail of some sub systems. For individuals, you may get Vans to email you a PDF of them. I do this and it is frequently faster to look up on the computer, blow up a section and print it than to fumble through full size drawings.

I would share, but I have a 7:D

I went with fuse blocks on the horizontal plate below that. It seemed a good idea when I read about them in Bob Nuckols book. (inexpensive, sensible)
Those fuse blocks have tabs & wires sticking out the sides, there is no way I can make it look right. Probably supposed to be hidden behind something.
Andy, thanks for posting that Pic, That looks like an upgrade I would be interested it doing.

If you're talking about the triangular panel below the right hand switch console, that's not a kit part, just something that many people make up to fit the area. I would use .032 sheet and match up to the part you have already. Here's a picture from Mike Elliott's site.

FP06012011A00011.jpg

Thanks Andy. I'm actually talking about the rhs switch panel. My triangular area is open, although I'm thinking of putting storage there.

Back