What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nasty surprise from my insurance company

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
I was getting ready to renew my liability-only policy today for my RV-12 when I discovered that AVEMCO now requires all pilots over 75 to get a yearly flight review and a yearly basic med. I built an LSA so I wouldn't have to have even basic med. Now this.

Jerre

There are other insurance underwriters out there — and lots of agencies, that will help take your money; Falcon Insurance, Ladd Gardener Insurance, etc.

IIRC Avemco’s claim to fame is the direct to customer model and being the most expensive out there..

I was getting ready to renew my liability-only policy today for my RV-12 when I discovered that AVEMCO now requires all pilots over 75 to get a yearly flight review and a yearly basic med. I built an LSA so I wouldn't have to have even basic med. Now this.

Jerre
Insurance is a competitive business, shop around. There are several well regarded independent brokers that advertise on VAF. Give one a call.
PS Avemco is the only company that does not use independent brokers. Perhaps things have changed, but, in the past, when I asked them for a quote they were very expensive.

I got an email from Avemco last year stating they could save me 30 percent by insuring with them. I took the bait and called. The quote they came back with was 3 times the rate of my current policy.

Im approaching 70 years young so am yet to cross that bridge BUT I still maintain a class 1 medical (the tuffest) fir one reason, im kept well informed as to what’s going on inside my personnel fuselage👍 Twice a year visit to the Dr can only be a good thing! Oh just to add to the craziness of this world I don’t insure my A/C, I must have saved a small fortune over the years👍

One thing to watch out for is that often, after age 70, underwriters don't want to take on new customers. So be careful about shopping around and jumping between carriers when you get near or past that age.

What does a Class 1 medical exam get you that a regular check-up with your PCP doesn't? Other than doing it, at your own expense, twice a year instead of once a year, using (hopefully) your insurance?

What does a Class 1 medical exam get you that a regular check-up with your PCP doesn't? Other than doing it, at your own expense, twice a year instead of once a year, using (hopefully) your insurance?
OP said basic med exam, which implies completion of the CME Checklist. Yearly physicals are simply not indicated from a medical standpoint unless tracking the progression of a known condition.

An FAA class 1 medical exam includes a few mandatory tests like the EKG, and increased liability for the AME.

OP said basic med exam, which implies completion of the CME Checklist. Yearly physicals are simply not indicated from a medical standpoint unless tracking the progression of a known condition.

An FAA class 1 medical exam includes a few mandatory tests like the EKG, and increased liability for the AME.
I completely fail to understand what you're saying here. I didn't ask about the OP's BasicMed exam, nor the advisability of an annual physical with your PCP. Or the pluses and minuses for the AME (I couldn't care less about *their* liability). I only asked what a Class 1 gets you that an annual with your regular doc doesn't (mine includes EKG, and costs me precisely $0). Other than the expense, of course, and the opportunity to unnecessarily get yourself examined out of EVER being able to go BasicMed (and perhaps ending your flying for good).

Jerre
Hi Jerre,

Feel free to reach out to us at Gallagher (877-475-5860). We would be happy to look into this for you. It's possible that we may have another option available to you.

I am shocked AVEMCO would insure you at all. They seem like they openly reject experimental aircraft.
Age wise some just don't insure older pilots. I thought AVEMCO was one of them. I assume being existing customer helped.
I can't argue with getting training and checking your health is always a good idea, but I totally understand where you are coming from.
Good luck. I am sure you will find a solution.

Back