What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N93JP Early RV-3

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
I am the proud new owner of N93JP an early RV-3 built by John Palmeri. I have lots of documentation from the original build and some information on both wing mods that were supposedly done somewhere along the way. They aren't logged.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might have some information on the airplane, the original builder or subsequent owners.

I found an old EAA article about the Palmeri and this airplane online.

So far I have tracked down some brake grimlins and installed a Garmin G5. I have a Duckworks landing light that I have yet to install and some new baffling and calk to hopefully bring down the CHT.

On my RV-3B wings, the Duckworks landing light mount didn't come close to fitting. The lens, though, fit just fine.

I described it in my VAV blog, starting around post 82 or 83. There's a photo of it complete later in the blog. What I did was glue some fiberglass plates to a pair of carbon kite spar pieces (from IntotheWind.com, here in Boulder) and mount those in holes in ribs and the stall warning switch mount I installed. The light screwed to the fiberglass plates.

Dave

I am the proud new owner of N93JP an early RV-3 built by John Palmeri. I have lots of documentation from the original build and some information on both wing mods that were supposedly done somewhere along the way. They aren't logged.

I also recently bought an older RV3 and am loving it! I also had sketchy information on the wing mods, but found that it?s a fairly easy task to determine if they have been done. The details of each are available on the Van?s website. You might want to verify for yourself if they?ve been done before doing any heavy Gz.

BTW, congratulations on your new ride. You?re going to like it.:)

I also recently bought an older RV3 and am loving it! I also had sketchy information on the wing mods, but found that it?s a fairly easy task to determine if they have been done. The details of each are available on the Van?s website. You might want to verify for yourself if they?ve been done before doing any heavy Gz.

BTW, congratulations on your new ride. You?re going to like it.:)

Where on the website?

As mentioned I would check for the wing mods. Makes no sense to put all the time and effort into the mod and not put it in the logbook.
G

I must have been done by an interim owner. I have lots of documentation including the stuff from Vans and lots of pictures of the work. Still only has 24 gallon fuselage fuel tank. I don't know enough to know what I'm looking at on the pictures. I have an A&P to help me with it and log it if we can figure out what went on.

Where on the website?

Here's the site. Look for Service Bulletins. But heck, it's all worth knowing about, so have fun browsing.

Perhaps you can get a copy of the appropriate plans from Van's. The thumb drive they sell is the RV-3B version and I know there are differences beyond the different wings and the wing tanks.

Dave

I have both sets of plans from Vans and I have read both service bulletins. Doesn't really give me the nuts and bolts to look for to see if both mods were done.

Last edited:
Check out Randy Lervold's RV-3 site. Everything you wanted to know about the wing mods, with various links to early Van's info:

http://www.romeolima.com/rv3/info/info.html

Yeah, that's what I was looking for:

"Vans Change Notice 2 (CN-2):
This mod is done as a CN-2-1 for type 1 spars and CN-2-2 for type 2 spars. The mod consists of putting aluminum angle doublers on the upper spar flange on the back side of the spar between each rib in the inner half of the wing and in the fuselage at bulkhead 303 (this is the same for type 1 and 2). On the type 1 wing, it also drills out the inner 1/8" rivet row on the bottom flanges on the inner half of the wing and replaces them with 3/16" rivets. AN3 bolts or hi-locs can also be used. Copy of Van's CN-2 in Acrobat format available above."

Need to find out where bulkhead 303 is but I have original plans.

Back