What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Number size on an RV7 question

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
So, this is a bit down the road for me but I'm starting to think about paint schemes.

I don't have any nefarious reason to not want 12" numbers, but there's not a lot of room back there. As I start to look at stripes and whatnot it would be nice to know what my requirements are.

I'm aware of the relevant FAR's and ADIZ requirements, but don't know how the RV7 lines up against the "no more than 180kt CAS" requirement for 3" numbers.

I will obviously be able figure out my CAS during flight test, but that's a bit late for determining N number size.

Do people put 3" numbers on an RV7 or is the CAS considered too fast? Where would I find documentation on typical calibrated airspeed with the various engine options

3" N numbers allow a lot more flexibility in designing a paint scheme, and are perfectly legal on an RV-7. Unless you plan on transiting the ADIZ on a regular basis, I would go with 3". Now that the RV-3, 4, & 6 are over 25 years old, they are eligible for 2" "NX" registration numbers.

I ordered the 3" letters and the DAR was okay with them. Other RVs on the field all have the 3" letters. I don't see any 12" letters unless I see them in the Oshkosh Youtube video.

I believe the requirement for 2" letters is 30 years, not 25 years. but yeah, since the originals came out more than 30 years ago they meet the requirement of 45.22(b)(ii) for 2" letters.

That won't happen for the RV7 until what, like 2030 or something?

Both

I bought my -10 with small numbers. I fly to the Bahamas so added the 12” ones later.

Attachments

• IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 132
Painters tape numbers seem ok

So, this is a bit down the road for me but I'm starting to think about paint schemes.

I don't have any nefarious reason to not want 12" numbers, but there's not a lot of room back there. As I start to look at stripes and whatnot it would be nice to know what my requirements are.

I'm aware of the relevant FAR's and ADIZ requirements, but don't know how the RV7 lines up against the "no more than 180kt CAS" requirement for 3" numbers.

I will obviously be able figure out my CAS during flight test, but that's a bit late for determining N number size.

Do people put 3" numbers on an RV7 or is the CAS considered too fast? Where would I find documentation on typical calibrated airspeed with the various engine options

For US operations almost everyone uses 3". I've seen painters tape used to create 12" numbers for the Bahamas.

12"

I thought 12" were required for any aircraft with a 180 kts cruise or faster, and if you intend to fly IFR, I thought 12" were required, no?

OP

Vans numbers show max cruise 207 MPH true, converted to knots is 180 true. your indicated/calibrated will be far lower number.

you know what? You're 100% correct. I was doing the conversion wrong in my head. Sorry, rookie mistake.

Oh well, it was still a good conversation about N numbers :)

Back