What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MOSAIC high altitude flight restrictions

KenB

Folks,

I've been noodling alot on the MOSAIC NPRM, which I'm mostly delighted to see.

As I see it, the proposed rule would be a great thing for me personally. My Piper Pacer, my Pietenpol, and my (not yet completed) RV-9 would all fit within the new rule, if adopted as proposed. My concern is about the altitude restrictions, which are being carried over from the old Sport Pilot language.

Below is draft language that I'm working on to submit to the FAA. I'd appreciate your feedback, suggestions, etc. And, of course, if you want to add your voice, I'd also appreciate your sending something similar to the FAA during the current comment period:

"My understanding is that the Mosaic NPRM maintains the current rule about flight up to 10,000 feet above mean sea level (MSL) or 2,000 feet above ground level (AGL), whichever is higher. I would strongly recommend that this restriction, as currently conceived, be reconsidered.

"For the majority of pilots that might be affected by MOSAIC this altitude restriction is likely to have no real world impact. Most pilots fly where MSL is within a couple thousand feet of sea level.

"This is not true for those of us that live in the mountain west. I live and mostly fly in Colorado, where there are 58 mountains in excess of 14 thousand feet, 638 mountains between 13 and 14 thousand feet, and countless mountainous areas above 10 thousand feet. The restriction, as currently written, requires that pilots fly a sort of nap of the earth profile when crossing over peaks in excess of 10 thousand feet as they attempt to maintain no more than 2000 AGL. Worse, between mountains, when the ground below drops more than 3k below cruise altitude, if complying with FAR 91.159, it requires descent to 8500' or 9500', depending on the heading. Such rapid altitude changes are dangerous, as density altitude combined with diminished capabilities of naturally aspirated engines reduces the ability to out-climb rising terrain of virtually all airplanes that would fit within MOSAIC. This problem is not limited to Colorado, of course. Most of the states in the western third of the country have terrain that challenges the climb capabilities of naturally aspirated aircraft. This problem will be worsened with the adoption of MOSAIC, as it will sweep many legacy Cessnas, Pipers, and other airplanes into potential compliance with Sport Pilot privileges. As currently conceived, the rule will inevitably lure some pilots into engaging in behaviors that are inherently dangerous, even though required by FARs and MOSAIC.

"I would encourage FAA prior to final passage to modify MOSAIC to incorporate the logic of many of the new parts of the rule with respect to high altitude flight, which is to require instruction and endorsements for aspects of flight that Sport Pilots would not have encountered in their initial training, such as the use of retractable gear or controllable pitch props. I would recommend that Sport Pilots intending to fly above 10 thousand feet be required to receive instruction and logbook endorsement from a CFI on high altitude flight. With such endorsement, pilots exercising Sport Pilot privileges would be permitted to fly up to 18 thousand feet without AGL restrictions. High altitude instruction should include topics such as density altitude, engine, prop, and airfoil efficiency losses at high altitude, effects and recognition of hypoxia, requirements for oxygen for pilots and passengers, and best practices for navigating mountain areas. Such instruction would enhance safety by allowing pilots exercising Sport Pilot privileges to follow accepted practices when navigating through mountainous areas of the country.

"With respect, Ken Bickers"

Well written and all valid safety concerns.
Also consider that the proposed rules are limited for a reason. There already exists a path to overcome all the things you mentioned. Private Pilot certificate.

I suspect there will be pushback from the FAA. The concept of the Sport Pilot option was to provide a limited license that would require less training to maintain a similar level of safety.

limited certification, less training = less privileges.

It is like asking to add additional training on the Commerical so it could be used for air carrier ops in lieu of ATP. The certifications are distinct in training and privileges. You train and apply for the certification appropriate to the operation you conduct.

Yes

limited certification, less training = less privileges.

It is like asking to add additional training on the Commerical so it could be used for air carrier ops in lieu of ATP. The certifications are distinct in training and privileges. You train and apply for the certification appropriate to the operation you conduct.

This ^^^^^

Well written and all valid safety concerns.
Also consider that the proposed rules are limited for a reason. There already exists a path to overcome all the things you mentioned. Private Pilot certificate.

I think the problem would also (mainly?) come in for those with a private certificate but operating on the "driver's license medical" as I suspect that folks with a private certificate operating under sport pilot probably well outnumber those with "just" a sport pilot certificate.

Honestly I think that the main point of sport pilot (from the pilot community's view) has been "fly a 'real' airplane without a medical" regardless of what the FAA thinks.

I suspect there will be pushback from the FAA. The concept of the Sport Pilot option was to provide a limited license that would require less training to maintain a similar level of safety.

+1

I would expect major pushback here. 10K is the line the FAA has drawn where extra caution is required due to more commercial traffic. e.g. ADSb required, greater cloud clearance req, etc.

To your point about driver license medical. If you have a condition that doesn't meet requirements for the FAA medical it is difficult to argue that what you have does not contribute negatively to the safe operation. People read 61.303(b)(3) and say aha loophole. I know I'll be denied so I just won't go. Then conveniently don't read 61.303 (b)(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

How exactly do you comply with this if you can't get a FAA medical?

The only positive thing a driver license medical does is save the money and time going to the appointment for the AME.

The negative thing it does is creates wishful thinking and partial readings of regs to achieve personal desires.

I think it creates more problems than it solves

+1

I would expect major pushback here. 10K is the line the FAA has drawn where extra caution is required due to more commercial traffic. e.g. ADSb required, greater cloud clearance req, etc.

Not to mention respiratory physiology and the consequences that some older and perhaps more infirm people might suffer from altitudes even lower than 10,000 ft, or O2 system malfunction at higher altitudes. I think 10K is a reasonable altitude limit for people whose physiology has not been fully assessed by anyone other than the DMV.

I think 10K is a reasonable altitude limit for people whose physiology has not been fully assessed by anyone other than the DMV.

The point is that 10k is not an altitude limit under the existing rule or the proposed rule when the underlying terrain approaches or is above 10k.

The question is how to make flight safer for those who want to fly under Light Sport rules and are trying to do so in the western third of the country.

In truth, a PP license may, emphasis may, make it legal to fly above 10k, but it doesn't always make it smart to do so. Some people flying under Light Sport privileges WILL try to bumble their way through Colorado and Wyoming or into the Frank Church wilderness area. They'll be able to do so legally. I'd like for them to be able to do so smartly and safely.

To your point about driver license medical. If you have a condition that doesn't meet requirements for the FAA medical it is difficult to argue that what you have does not contribute negatively to the safe operation. People read 61.303(b)(3) and say aha loophole. I know I'll be denied so I just won't go. Then conveniently don't read 61.303 (b)(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

I think it creates more problems than it solves

Nah, there is a ton of space between things that can disqualify you from an FAA medical and things that would prevent safe operation. You're taking an extreme interpretation. I'm not going to argue specific conditions or treatments on the internet, but I know from conversations with various level MDs that they consistently think a bunch of stuff for a 3rd class bears no relevance to safe operation.

Just to point out the obvious that we're all familiar with. If gazing at your rear end and fondling your junk effects your ability to be safe, you were taught to fly an airplane entirely differently than I was.

Those MD's should submit their findings and assist in the revision of the FAA medical to remove the unnecessary conditions that have no impact on safety of flight. That way we don't have to ignore them and use the driver license as a "workaround" (i'll continue to get a FAA med or Basic med)

An individual and their MD's opinion on "safe" vs the FAA. Sounds like a losing battle, especially post-accident.

The question is how to make flight safer for those who want to fly under Light Sport rules and are trying to do so in the western third of the country.

In truth, a PP license may, emphasis may, make it legal to fly above 10k, but it doesn't always make it smart to do so.

The partial pressure of O2 at a given altitude MSL and a person's ability to tolerate that altitude doesn't change relative to the height of the underlying terrain.

Physical exam by a physician is not required by any DMV that I know of. People driving a car may not have seen a doctor in decades and have no clue about their own potential respiratory impairment. I know people who can't even tolerate skiing at Vail, and that's fairly common.

I'm not arguing the silly stuff like whether or not a digital rectal exam has any bearing on flying an airplane. But I do think it's relevant for someone to determine whether or not some component of COPD is present before sending that person up to 10,000 feet.

Last edited:
Nah, there is a ton of space between things that can disqualify you from an FAA medical and things that would prevent safe operation. You're taking an extreme interpretation. I'm not going to argue specific conditions or treatments on the internet, but I know from conversations with various level MDs that they consistently think a bunch of stuff for a 3rd class bears no relevance to safe operation.

Just to point out the obvious that we're all familiar with. If gazing at your rear end and fondling your junk effects your ability to be safe, you were taught to fly an airplane entirely differently than I was.

One example... childhood ADHD diagnosis from decades ago? No medical for you! Even though I'd suspect a noticeable fraction of the current pilot population could have met the ADHD criteria when they were children, had they been evaluated...

How much time/money/manpower does the FAA spend on evaluating long-resolved conditions from decades ago and things that they think might maybe possibly could potentially theoretically cause a problem... vs. how much are we spending to address things that, you know, actually consistently result in light airplane fatal accidents?

I'd argue that the lack of a massive spike in airplanes falling out of the sky due to medical-related causes over the last 20 years (since sport pilot came about), or for that matter the dearth of medical-related glider accidents (because the presence of an engine doesn't magically make you have a heart attack), is a pretty good indicator that third-class medicals aren't doing much at all.

Those MD's should submit their findings and assist in the revision of the FAA medical to remove the unnecessary conditions that have no impact on safety of flight. That way we don't have to ignore them and use the driver license as a "workaround" (i'll continue to get a FAA med or Basic med)

An individual and their MD's opinion on "safe" vs the FAA. Sounds like a losing battle, especially post-accident.

It sounds to me like you have not read the NPRM or otherwise made yourself familiar with the MOSIAC. The FAA has reviewed over a decade of data under new rules and is coming to new conclusions with respect to medical factors and safety of flight. The FAA is involved, and this is the point.

You don't have to ignore anything. If you really like getting a medical and feel like it makes you a safer pilot you are welcome to do that. Just because others are considering the safety records and data and taking a more practical approach, doesn't make them cheaters. This is not a "workaround", it's a legitimate rule change.

I have read it, I also read this https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/275... personal flying,5.2 per 100,000 flying hours.

LSA accident rate is double.

MOSAIC addresses the initial poorly conceived LSA requirements which resulted in limitations that caused issues with design and resulted in less than capable aircraft.

MOSAIC, if you read between the lines is also about EVTOL and getting butts in seats during the initial stages when pilots are still required in these vehicles. It's the only way to get the manpower number they will need initially. Lower the bar and increase pilots. This is about EVTOL manufactures being able to sell product to the public. It provides a larger envelope and a larger customer base.

Last edited:
I have read it, I also read this https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/275... personal flying,5.2 per 100,000 flying hours.

MOSAIC addresses the initial poorly conceived LSA requirements which resulted in limitations that caused issues with design and resulted in less than capable aircraft.

I noted these additional abstracts cited on that same page. Interesting, and relevant to both sides of the argument (within the limitations of these single studies).

Aeromedical Hazard Comparison of FAA Medically Certified Third-Class and Medically Uncertified Pilots

Aviation Accident Causes Among Sport Pilots as Compared to Class 3 Private Pilots from 2004-2017

PubMed is a rabbit hole. Be wary.

Operating on the assumption most pilots that have a faa medical or basic med don't have a need for LSA aircraft. That's not a stretch.

The partial pressure of O2 at a given altitude MSL and a person's ability to tolerate that altitude doesn't change relative to the height of the underlying terrain.

Physical exam by a physician is not required by any DMV that I know of. People driving a car may not have seen a doctor in decades and have no clue about their own potential respiratory impairment. I know people who can't even tolerate skiing at Vail, and that's fairly common.

I'm not arguing the silly stuff like whether or not a digital rectal exam has any bearing on flying an airplane. But I do think it's relevant for someone to determine whether or not some component of COPD is present before sending that person up to 10,000 feet.

Back to 10k discussion, this is an excellent point.

Maybe

"...Just because others are considering the safety records and data and taking a more practical approach, doesn't make them cheaters. This is not a "workaround", it's a legitimate rule change..."

Maybe we should start a list to see what you can legally drive with (medically) that would disqualify you from a 3rd class medical...

Considering there are ZERO medical requirements (except a silly eye test) to get a drivers license, the list should be fairly long...

Yes, there are things that probably should be allowed for the 3rd class medical that aren't but there are many more aren't allowed for good reason.

Operating on the assumption most pilots that have a faa medical or basic med don't have a need for LSA aircraft. That's not a stretch.

Sure. Maybe the problem is the assumptions being made. I have a private, and a current and valid basic med. I also have a need and very much enjoy an LSA. There are a lot of pilots who might not fit your mold, or feel that a class 3 is the magic feather that makes them safe.

Sure. Maybe the problem is the assumptions being made. I have a private, and a current and valid basic med. I also have a need and very much enjoy an LSA. There are a lot of pilots who might not fit your mold, or feel that a class 3 is the magic feather that makes them safe.

3rd class does not make me safe. It makes me legal, and is only a part of a part that is required. Still need to apply IMSAFE

Below is draft language that I'm working on to submit to the FAA.

Looks great Ken! I agree completely. I doubt that anyone that operates other than where we are (or similar) can understand/appreciate the issues. I did the <10,000' thing for a few years without ADS-B - it was an issue out here.

3rd class does not make me safe. It makes me legal, and is only a part of a part that is required. Still need to apply IMSAFE

Unless at the FAA or Basic Med exam your AME or Primary Care physician discovers a potentially-dangerous-but-asymptomatic condition that neither the pilot nor the DMV are aware of. I'm thinking, say, a new heart murmur, a carotid bruit, a pulmonary condition, or hemorrhoids. Maybe that chest pain that you think is heartburn is actually a heart-attack-in-the-making. IMSAFE ain't gonna help you there and isn't a replacement for a visit to the doctor.

OK...kidding about the hemorrhoids, but still....

Last edited:

How exactly do you comply with this if you can't get a FAA medical?

Here's an example. I'm prescribed an antidepressant, and it's one that is on the list of meds that the FAA will consider for a special issuance. So the FAA has already acknowledged that having depression, treated with that particular med, is compatible with flying. However, the FAA's current policy (https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants) is that if you have EVER been on two different meds at the same time, for any reason, for any amount of time, no matter how long ago, they will not grant a special issuance. Many years ago, when I first developed depression and was going through the process of figuring out which med worked best for me, I was on two meds at once for a short period in order to see if a different class of med worked better. If my doctor or I had known at that time about the FAA's "never two at once" rule then we would have swapped instead of combining, but we didn't. I think it would be hard to argue that that history makes me "unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

Here's an example. I'm prescribed an antidepressant, and it's one that is on the list of meds that the FAA will consider for a special issuance. So the FAA has already acknowledged that having depression, treated with that particular med, is compatible with flying. However, the FAA's current policy (https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants) is that if you have EVER been on two different meds at the same time, for any reason, for any amount of time, no matter how long ago, they will not grant a special issuance. Many years ago, when I first developed depression and was going through the process of figuring out which med worked best for me, I was on two meds at once for a short period in order to see if a different class of med worked better. If my doctor or I had known at that time about the FAA's "never two at once" rule then we would have swapped instead of combining, but we didn't. I think it would be hard to argue that that history makes me "unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

It's a great example. I'm really surprised that there are pilots who can't appreciate a nuance like this and feel like you shouldn't be allowed to fly at all. The rest of us are lucky that the FAA is moving to a more reasonable position.

Public safety?

I recently drove to the summit of Pikes Peak, 14,115’. There were dozens of drivers of all ages and I assume all different levels of health issues. There were school busses with kids making the trip and there are many very sheer drop offs without guard rails.

So limiting pilots to 10k’ in the name of public safety is hypocritical.

I did Ride the Rockies. I saw 30-year olds hitting the "Sag Wagon" right and left with altitude sickness. A 48 year old guy died in his sleep at an overnight stay in one of the high school gymnasiums.

Last edited:
I recently drove to the summit of Pikes Peak, 14,115’. There were dozens of drivers of all ages and I assume all different levels of health issues. There were school busses with kids making the trip and there are many very sheer drop offs without guard rails.

I agree. But you are making my point, perhaps inadvertantly.

Under the existing Light Sport rules and the proposed MOSAIC Light sport rules, there is NOT a 10k limit. That is a limit ONLY when the underlying terrain is relatively low.

A pilot operating under Light Sport rules would legally be able to fly to an altitude in excess of 16k over Pikes Peak, as long as he stayed within 2k AGL. He would have to fly a nap of the earth course in order to do so. Such a pilot would not have had to obtain any special training on high altitude flight. That, of course, is insane, which is precisely why my proposed change in the proposed rule is to actually make 10k a meaningful limit, except for pilots that have obtained instruction and an endorsement prior to flight above that altitude.

I think oxygen hypoxia is real. The first time I drove to Pikes Peak, I felt dizzy and needed to sit down. I didn't stay up there for long.

It's a great example. I'm really surprised that there are pilots who can't appreciate a nuance like this and feel like you shouldn't be allowed to fly at all. The rest of us are lucky that the FAA is moving to a more reasonable position.

It's slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

I love my RV-12 enough that I probably wouldn't replace it when MOSAIC goes into effect. What I'd really like to see is the deletion of 61.23(c)(3)(i)(B), the "at any point after July 14, 2006, have held a medical certificate" requirement for BasicMed - that would let me upgrade to a PPL and then go for my instrument rating. But, flying day-VFR-only is a heck of a lot better than not flying at all...

as i have said many times, the faa medical needs to be overhauled. however, scrapping it for a dmv medical is not the answer. anybody that disagrees just needs to come here to southwest florida and drive for a couple of days.

what need to happen, is the medical standards need to be brought up to 2023 levels. the feds are still operating in a 1960's medical world. i feel they still need to be very conservitive on the mental health issues and substance abuse, but they are worlds behind on things like cardiac care, and other issues that have made incredible progress in care over the years.

bob burns
rv-4 n82RB

Since the non-LSA group included Part 135 ops, the answer is “Duh!”

But maybe this “study” (observation, really) says the opposite thing. All it says is that people without medical certificates, flying single-pilot in light, slow airplanes crash and die more than people with medical certificates flying everything from 1321# up.

Maybe the correct conclusion is that people without medicals shouldn’t be allowed to fly those lightweight airplanes. If you put the same people in the front of a Citation, they’d be much safer. And, of course, that much is true. A Cherokee, for instance, is safer and much easier to fly than a Kitfox. There’s no reason anyone who can legally fly a Kitfox shouldn’t be able to fly a Cherokee.

There’s also no indication that medical status has anything to do with the crashes in question.

Kudos to the OP. I hadn’t thought it through, but now it’s obviously stupid to have different maximum altitudes over different terrain.

as i have said many times, the faa medical needs to be overhauled. however, scrapping it for a dmv medical is not the answer. anybody that disagrees just needs to come here to southwest florida and drive for a couple of days.

what need to happen, is the medical standards need to be brought up to 2023 levels. the feds are still operating in a 1960's medical world. i feel they still need to be very conservitive on the mental health issues and substance abuse, but they are worlds behind on things like cardiac care, and other issues that have made incredible progress in care over the years.

bob burns
rv-4 n82RB

I am pretty positive these Florida drivers are not driving the way they are driving because DMV has lackluster medical requirements ..

I am pretty positive these Florida drivers are not driving the way they are driving because DMV has lackluster medical requirements ..

Well, maybe the vision requirements, but otherwise, no it isn't the medical requirements that are the problem. And it isn't just Florida, I travel the country for business, and Florida isn't any worse than anywhere else. Try Chicago for a few days! :eek:

MOSAIC, if you read between the lines is also about EVTOL and getting butts in seats during the initial stages when pilots are still required in these vehicles. It's the only way to get the manpower number they will need initially. Lower the bar and increase pilots. This is about EVTOL manufactures being able to sell product to the public. It provides a larger envelope and a larger customer base.

This is BS.

For the last two years – YES TWO, S-LSA have had less fatalities per 100k flight hours than certified non-commercial GA.

S-LSA had been matching GA certified accident rates, but it has finally past certified GA. Be careful about people using “LSA” to describe accident rates. LSA accidents disproportionately involve E-AB LSAs and ELSAs. Those types of LSAs, however, cannot be rented as a matter of law. So if your renting an LSA it has to be an S-LSA, which are statistically in less fatal accidents than certified GA. Until certified non-commercial GA comes up to speed re modern engines and instrumentation it likely S-LSAs will be continue to be safer. Lots of other reasons explain the better safety record related to sport pilot limitations – VFR only, day only, older more experienced pilots, etc. S-LSAs just have a bunch of inherent safety factors that other types of GA planes don’t have so it is a bit of an unfair apples to oranges comparison between certified non-comm GA and S-LSA safety stats.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/media/2021_SLSA_COS.pdf

Nice – 2021 was the second year in a row SLSAs had fewer fatal accidents per 100k flight hours than certified/ga/non-commercial planes.

Always interesting to review the latest SLSA safety stats – 56 pages of fatal and non-fatal accident SLSA data.

Last edited:

and you would be wrong. there are people that are blind, people that have dementia, and all kinds of other things that still hold a drivers license in florida. a week does not go by that a driver does not drive into a store front, park bench. bus stop benches ect. someone I know was parking a car in a parking lot and hit another car so hard it moved it 3 feet. the responding officer said that he would put in his report that the dmv re-evaluate her driving ability. that was 2 years ago and she still holds a drivers license. every day i see a silver alert posted, for those that don't know what a silver alert is, its a notice for a missing senior that has driven away from home and is lost.

and you would be wrong. there are people that are blind, people that have dementia, and all kinds of other things that still hold a drivers license in florida. a week does not go by that a driver does not drive into a store front, park bench. bus stop benches ect. someone I know was parking a car in a parking lot and hit another car so hard it moved it 3 feet. the responding officer said that he would put in his report that the dmv re-evaluate her driving ability. that was 2 years ago and she still holds a drivers license. every day i see a silver alert posted, for those that don't know what a silver alert is, its a notice for a missing senior that has driven away from home and is lost.

Yes … yet these examples are still dwarfed by sheer numbers of accidents caused by healthy and seemingly sane people ….

bob burns
rv-4 n82RB

Not to mention the whole power-grab around CPAP and ADHD meds.

Not to mention the whole power-grab around CPAP and ADHD meds.

Antidepressants.

Also...alcohol has reached alarmingly draconian proportions. The key regulatory phrase that needs to go is...."have you ever in your life....?"

Anecdotal evidence like this and the other Florida-based comments should not be the bases for forming either a personal opinion or government policy such as MOSAIC. Here's a real study with statistics on the auto accident rates caused by medical issues.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811219

I believe it is the case that MOSAIC is being proposed in part because of the safety record of Light Sport, based on real studies and statistics over the last decade. Those statistics make a strong case for Drivers License based medicals.

It's hard to believe that there are pilots that are opposed to this aspect of MOSAIC, given the success of Light Sport, in particular regarding accidents caused by medical incapacitation.

I think that BasicMed has also shown that the FAA does not need to be involved in the medical evaluation of pilots flying light GA aircraft for personal travel and pleasure. Here's a quote from AOPA regarding this aspect of BasicMed.

Although some critics of BasicMed were skeptical, accident data has shown that BasicMed is safe. In fact, the GA accident rate is at its lowest level in decades and medical incapacitation continues to be an exceedingly rare event. When you consider that BasicMed relies on the same principle of medical self-assessment under FAR Par 61.53 as traditional medicals, this makes sense. Every pilot is responsible for personally evaluating his or her medical fitness on every flight, regardless of the type of medical certificate held.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2021/july/pilot/basicmed-five-years-later

Antidepressants.

Also...alcohol has reached alarmingly draconian proportions. The key regulatory phrase that needs to go is...."have you ever in your life....?"

"Have you ever in your life hidden something from the FAA because you knew how they would react"...

We are still very much living in the age of "Don't ask, don't tell" with respect to the FAA and medicals, and it's impacting safety just the same it has for the last 40+ years.

"Have you ever in your life hidden something from the FAA because you knew how they would react"...

We are still very much living in the age of "Don't ask, don't tell" with respect to the FAA and medicals, and it's impacting safety just the same it has for the last 40+ years.

Today's ubiquitous and interoperative electronic medical record systems as well as complicit health insurance companies makes that a far more dangerous question than it was even 10 years ago.

Back