What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Miracle Antenna

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone know anything about the Miracle Antenna?

I hadn't heard of it until I saw it in a recent issue of Kitplanes. It's roughly the same price as the Bob Archer antenna. For the price, it may be worth trying out, but I was curious if anyone else has been down that road before me.

cheers,
mcb

End fed 1/2 Wave antennas have been around for a long time. I expect everything they say is accurate.

However, for an RV there a couple of serious issues.

They need to be mounted in a RF transparent area: fiberglass, fabric, etc.

They need to be mounted with the proper polarization orientation: vertical for COMM, horizontal for NAV.
The element is twice as long as a 1/4 wave whip. Might fit well in a wingtip for NAV, but I doubt you could get enough vertical orientation to make it worthwhile for a COMM antenna.

Yah, I was thinking about it as a NAV antenna, not for comm... a half wavelength at VHF nav frequencies is roughly four feet, which might be doable in a fiberglass RV wingtip. May be easier to just buy the proven Bob Archer antenna, though!

cheers,
mcb

A good product.

A great company.

I purchased an AirWhip from this company 4 years ago when they were first getting started. Solid product, peforms just as stated. Dirt simple installation, yes you can actually use duct tape, RTV, or even zip ties. Much easier than installing an Archer.

I would call them and discuss what it can do in a wingtip before discarding the idea for an Archer antenna.

From their website:
"Installation of the Air Whip is a snap. Simply lay out the whip portion of the antenna into the aircraft nose, side-panel or even flooring - any area that is free of metal and spanned by a composite or fabric surface. "

Sounds like it would work great in my CT; not so well in an RV.

TODR

Back