What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minnesota, Wisconsin Airports

markrufo

I'm New Here
Relocating to either Minnesota or Wisconsin- looking for airports with hangers available to rent or a short waiting list. A well maintained airport is a plus. Working from home allows some flexibility on where to live. Anybody have any tips?

Thanks
Mark

Those are both big states. Can you narrow down the metropolitan area that you will be near?
For instance, I lived in southeast WI for 20 years, but could not give advice about airports near the Twin Cities.

Wi Airports

LaCrosse Wi LSE on the West side of the state is a nice Class D airport with a FBO. I believe they have hangers available. T-Hangers are in the $140 too $250 range depending on how new a hanger you want.

Viroqua Y51 located about twenty miles Southeast of LaCrosse is a nice uncontrolled airport and a smaller community. No FBO and self serve fuel. Single hard surface runway in excellent condition with a turf crosswind runway. I dont know if they have vacant hangers but they do allow hanger ownership. I dont know the details.

Holland Airpark located a few miles North of LSE might also be an option if an Airpark is something you would be interested in.

As part of my research for flying to OSH next week, I came across airport directories for both Minnesota and Wisconsin. They might be helpful to you.

Minnesota https://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/airportdirectory/index.html
No hangar information but lots of other details including airport manager contact

Wisconsin https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/air/airport-info/arptdir-city.aspx
A little less information than MN, but lots there. Both have overhead pictures of the airports so you should at least be able to see which ones have hangars.

Oconto, Wisconsin. KOCQ airport. 25 minutes north of Green Bay. Extremely well maintained airport with lowest fuel prices in the region. Two RNAV approaches and a grass cross runway covers both ends of the fun spectrum. Very low cost of living area with most big city amenities in Green Bay.

Note: State law requires that all Wisconsin residents dedicate at least one room of their house to displaying Green Bay Packers memorabilia. Keep that in mind when home shopping.

I will put in a plug for KBRD in Minnesota. In the heart of lakes country/vacation land in Minnesota. Very well maintained, good services available, on-field maintenance and avionics, regional Airport but non-towered. Long/wide runways. Hangers are available…T-hangars $180-$210 per month.

It looks like there are a few houses for sale at Lake Geneva Aire Estates (WI89)

It should be easy to find an attached hangar with a house there.

Last edited:
Those are both big states. Can you narrow down the metropolitan area that you will be near?
For instance, I lived in southeast WI for 20 years, but could not give advice about airports near the Twin Cities.

I have the flexibility to live anywhere- looking for a good airport and a good place to live.

As part of my research for flying to OSH next week, I came across airport directories for both Minnesota and Wisconsin. They might be helpful to you.

Minnesota https://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/airportdirectory/index.html
No hangar information but lots of other details including airport manager contact

Wisconsin https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/air/airport-info/arptdir-city.aspx
A little less information than MN, but lots there. Both have overhead pictures of the airports so you should at least be able to see which ones have hangars.

Claude, very helpful, thank you!

I will put in a plug for KBRD in Minnesota. In the heart of lakes country/vacation land in Minnesota. Very well maintained, good services available, on-field maintenance and avionics, regional Airport but non-towered. Long/wide runways. Hangers are available…T-hangars $180-$210 per month.

Awesome! I will check it out. Thanks

fwiw lake geneva is also one of the largest tourist areas in the state. the lake is beautiful but the whole area is crawling with visitors.

Back