What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco repair kit

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Discovered yesterday that my left pilot Matco brake cylinder is leaking and ordered the repair kit from Spruce. I bought the McMaster Carr parts for the spring assist mod a couple of years ago and decided I will install it while doing the cylinder repair however all of the prior threads I have found that show pictures of the assembled modification have the photo link X'd out and the link don't work. Anyone have a picture of the modification installed on the cylinder shaft and the correct dimension's to position the collar.
Thanks
Figs

Discovered yesterday that my left pilot Matco brake cylinder is leaking and ordered the repair kit from Spruce. I bought the McMaster Carr parts for the spring assist mod a couple of years ago and decided I will install it while doing the cylinder repair however all of the prior threads I have found that show pictures of the assembled modification have the photo link X'd out and the link don't work. Anyone have a picture of the modification installed on the cylinder shaft and the correct dimension's to position the collar.
Thanks
Figs

Is it this?

I saved these pics from a post on or about Aug 21, 2021. Maybe they might be helpful.

Matco-1 Large.jpeg

Matco-2.jpeg

I will no longer spend time to OH matco MC, the shafts and/or body usually get gouged and new seal won't fix em, my experience only.

I will no longer spend time to OH matco MC, the shafts and/or body usually get gouged and new seal won't fix em, my experience only.
Good to know. I have only done Matco master cylinder overhauls on two different aircraft and did not have issues. Yes the Matco are cheaper than the other options out there.

Shafts can be polished easily or buy a new shaft with the rebuild kit.
The spring “mod” isn’t necessary if you do the single bottom bolt and properly align the assembly. It will still wear over time as the Vans design allows for side loading of the shaft.

Shafts can be polished easily or buy a new shaft with the rebuild kit.
The spring “mod” isn’t necessary if you do the single bottom bolt and properly align the assembly. It will still wear over time as the Vans design allows for side loading of the shaft.
Just for reference the brake system is around 17 years old and I rebuilt the right cylinder about 2 years ago and now the left, I also do have to long bolt installation. Not bad performance really if the alignment is set up OK, just a pain to do the work under the panel.

Back