What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming 540 with Single Lever Control

The important point is this tech exists for the factory Lycoming without having to experiment with a one off solution. Everybody needs more horsepower right?

I assume that is the angle valved turbo'd TIO-540. Probably too heavy for an RV-10 nose. Fadec has been around for a while. This power pack would be a pretty dear price for sure.

As for single lever flying in the experimental world, EI/EFI like SDS have also been around for quite a while. My plane is operated with a single lever - all through from start up to shut down without touching anything else other than a toggle switch that flips to LOP operation as needed. The future is indeed here for those that want to take advantage of it.

This particular engine has been around for a while. I took pics of it at AERO Friedrichshafen in 2010. Surprised its tech never "trickled down" to any other Lyc engines. Or maybe I'm not surprised, since they seem to be making plenty of $$$ on their existing lineup and therefore have no incentive to change.

IMG_2388.1.JPG

This particular engine has been around for a while. I took pics of it at AERO Friedrichshafen in 2010. Surprised its tech never "trickled down" to any other Lyc engines. Or maybe I'm not surprised, since they seem to be making plenty of $$$ on their existing lineup and therefore have no incentive to change.

View attachment 35851

The problem with that engine (in my mind) is that if you think that prices are out of control on the standard engines we buy, don’t even LOOK at the price on this machine! I have not looked at the price for years, but I remember it was astronomical ten years back….

View attachment 35851

Tecnam seems to be proactive of producing more different GA aircraft than Cessna or Piper. If it can produce enough airplanes using this engine then I hope the price will come down following the economy of scale concept.

The price for this engine a few years ago before the price increases was something like 85k-90k and that was like 5-6 years ago. I am guessing it is well north of 100k by now. And Lycoming was only selling them to airframe manufacturers since it needed to be programmed for the specific airframe it was being put on. I agree it is a really nice engine but Lycoming is trying to make back their R&D investment on a very small number of engines sold so the price is rediculously high.

Last edited:
Back