What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looks like those of us who use electronic charts are about to feel some wallet pain

Seattle Avionics gave a great webinar yesterday - I'm not quite sure how I got the email invitation, but it was definitely worth attending. I think that within a day or so, they might put the recording on their website.

They made a couple of interesting points (I think I got most of these correct) -

- The FAA mandate relative to fees is much like the postal service - not intended to profit; rather to recover costs.

- Dramatic drop in paper subscriptions versus the corresponding increase in digital

- Current Jepp cost for paper version of 48 states is about $1250 (excludes sectionals) and the comparable cost for NACO would be about twice that.

- Current Jepp cost for digital version of 48 states is about $790 and NACO is $0.

- The source of all chart information is the FAA (even for the Jepps) - BUT, Jepp takes the data in raw format and does their own charting, so there might be some question of how much cost of charting associated with NACO would be passed on to the large commercial users who are using Jepps

- The paper cost is huge - not only the costs of printing and distribuiton, but also the cost associated with allowing small vendors credit for returns of unsold charts / volumes. That all is eliminated with digital when it's a download - even with DVD production, it's a large saving.

- References to the rollout of the changes - mishandled. They claim the FAA is, in fact, listening to the reactions.

- They believe that the ease of download of digital significantly promotes flight safety - I gather they intend to make this point in December.

- The FAA says (where I don't know) that after April 2012, no digital data will be available to vendors without an agreement (the premise being they have better track on distribution and insuring that people don't start using the "new" charts up to two weeks early).

In short, the appearance is that costs will go up, but that the FAA is aware of the objections that people are voicing and they're also sensitive to the safety issue. I'd really like to believe that's true.

Dan

The AvWeb article clearly stated:

"That means charging fees to companies for those downloads and no longer allowing individuals access them at all. As of April 5, only those with distribution contracts with Aeronav will be able to download the data."

Something's rotten in Denmark... :)

The AvWeb article clearly states its opinion on a source it hasn't cited. Does anyone have a copy (or a link) to the actual FAA notice? I haven't seen anything on the FAA, AeroNav or NFDC/FADDS websites.

The original notice sent out by the FAA to digital subscribers explicitly said that individuals will be required to sign an agreement with AeroNav before getting access to the digital charts. I'm sure other vendors on this forum can confirm this.

Also, that AIN article is hogwash. The digital charts are currently 100% free if you download them off the AeroNav web site.

Cheers,
Mike

> I'm sure other vendors on this forum can confirm this.

Confirmed. Abby told me this tidbit back in Sept, 'bout 2 minutes before
telling me I needed to sign a NDA.

Nobody gets access without executing multiple contracts w/AeroNav. There
was also mention of a monthly minimum for e-chart distributors; IIRC, $25k per
month. The small guys are toast. The free websites are toast.

> Also, that AIN article is hogwash.

I concur.

Why not pay Aeronav the reported $5 Million shortfall out of aviation trust fund funds? Then downloads are free thus enhancing safety.

The AVWeb article is a good read....

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Higher_Prices_Digital_Charts_205875-1.html

The FAA also realizes there will have to be some other structure for websites that display charts, like FltPlan.com or RunwayFinder. Dave Parsons of RunwayFinder told us, "I won't be able to do it for even a dollar a user [per year]."

....I've been very curious how it will work out for those folks that have "unlimited" users.

Time to fire up the mass chart scanners. :) (And form a new company...as I imagine once you sign the AeroNav agreements, that company will have agreed in the contracts not to do such a thing.)

Last edited:
Back