What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for data for a very specific airframe engine combo (or a solution)...

Reflex

Well Known Member
Wondering if anybody out there has or is building a:
  • RV-14 (taildragger)
  • IO-390 EXP-50 210 hp Engine (not the 215 hp version which is an EXP-119)
  • Using a Vetterman 2 into 1 crossover exhaust
This seems to be a bit of a unicorn as most folks I see are building either an -A model or are using the EXP-119 option in the taildragger. Neither of which will have my issue. While it's subtle, when you get right down to the FWF, there are a few items that are quite different for each engine/airframe combo.

The reason I ask is that this is the combo I'm building and I've run into a problem with getting the fuel line from the fuel pump to the Red Cube with the Vetterman exhaust. At issue is the motor mount is directly below the fuel pump outlet. This is not a big deal on the standard Van's exhaust or on a nosedragger. However with the taildragger,and EXP-50 and the Vetterman exhaust you either have an issue with the motor mount clearance or the exhaust from the #4 cylinder.

Looking for a solution. I figure if you have the the configuration above, you've probably run into this and have an answer.

Yes, I'm open to moving the Red Cube....but where?
Yes, I'm willing to buy new custom hoses.
No, I won't accept a fuel line that is too close to the exhaust
No, I won't accept a fuel line that has significant stress due to a tight bend

Note: The exhaust configuration is significantly different for the EXP-50 and the EXP-119

Note: The motor mount is different for the RV-7 & RV-8 even if you're using an IO-390

Why did I decide to go with this exhaust configuration? I didn't like how close the #4 exhaust comes to the #4 intake and the Red Cube. There's no room for a heatshield directly between these two items. With the Vetterman exhaust, not only is there room, you could almost say that a shield may not be needed.

If I can't figure this out, I may have a Vetterman exhaust for sale soon!

Thanks,

Fred

The reason I ask is that this is the combo I'm building and I've run into a problem with getting the fuel line from the fuel pump to the Red Cube with the Vetterman exhaust. At issue is the motor mount is directly below the fuel pump outlet. This is not a big deal on the standard Van's exhaust or on a nosedragger. However with the taildragger,and EXP-50 and the Vetterman exhaust you either have an issue with the motor mount clearance or the exhaust from the #4 cylinder.

Looking for a solution. I figure if you have the the configuration above, you've probably run into this and have an answer.
Fred,

There are many threads on proper ways/places to mount the Red Cube. The RV-14 FWF instructions from Van’s is how not to do it. Such as: https://vansairforce.net/threads/high-fuel-flow-when-rpm-increases-above-2000.224062/#post-1744327

Carl

Last edited:
Carl,

Thanks for the response. Actually, your comments in the past are what prompted me to look at moving the Red Cube. I read your posts before spending a few hours last night trying to find a new spot for the Red Cube. I also had another builder (RV-10) come over and take a peek. We're a bit stumped, or perhaps we're just not to smart/creative.

For the life of me, I can't see where else to "reasonably" put that dang thing with this airframe/engine/exhaust combination.

Thanks again,

Fred

I have the exact same set up as you do. I bought my hoses from Aircraft specially and they fit perfectly. I did not need to modify the location or mounting of the red cube.

.IMG_3918.jpegIMG_4152.jpeg

Last edited:
Glen,

Thank you very much for the picture. Indeed, you have the same setup. Headed out to the shop now to see if I can find out what I'm not doing. My try and post a pic if I have time.

Took my lunch break and spent some time trying to identify the issue. Found that the fitting in the Red Cube is "clocked" as per directions from Van's. Spent time evaluating what re-clocking the fitting would do as it appears that Glenn's pictures above have the fitting clocked differently that what is in the manual. Makes sense as this exhaust is a modification.

Question for Glenn if you're still following this thread. What is the clearance from the #4 exhaust stack to your fuel line? It appears that I could technically make what I have work, but I end up with minimal clearance and what I would call undesirable stress on the fuel line due to the bend radius. Shortening the fuel line would help the stress somewhat, but doesn't give me much (if any) additional fuel line to exhaust clearance.

Again, thanks for the pics...speaks volumes.

Fred

Took my lunch break and spent some time trying to identify the issue. Found that the fitting in the Red Cube is "clocked" as per directions from Van's. Spent time evaluating what re-clocking the fitting would do as it appears that Glenn's pictures above have the fitting clocked differently that what is in the manual. Makes sense as this exhaust is a modification.

Question for Glenn if you're still following this thread. What is the clearance from the #4 exhaust stack to your fuel line? It appears that I could technically make what I have work, but I end up with minimal clearance and what I would call undesirable stress on the fuel line due to the bend radius. Shortening the fuel line would help the stress somewhat, but doesn't give me much (if any) additional fuel line to exhaust clearance.

Again, thanks for the pics...speaks volumes.

Fred
I’m currently traveling. Will have access to more pictures tomorrow. I’ll try to find one that shows what you’re asking. I had adequate clearance from exhaust heat shields. I put them anywhere the hoses came remotely close to the exhaust. I also insulated red cube and all exhaust heat shields. Saw it done here on VAF.

Where did you get your hoses from?

I’m currently traveling. Will have access to more pictures tomorrow. I’ll try to find one that shows what you’re asking. I had adequate clearance from exhaust heat shields. I put them anywhere the hoses came remotely close to the exhaust. I also insulated red cube and all exhaust heat shields. Saw it done here on VAF.

Where did you get your hoses from?

Glenn,

Many thanks for checking back, it's appreciated.

Regarding the hoses, I used the good stuff and what looks like the same as yours....I got them from TS Flightlines. Those guys are the best!

Thanks,

Fred

Glenn,

Many thanks for checking back, it's appreciated.

Regarding the hoses, I used the good stuff and what looks like the same as yours....I got them from TS Flightlines. Those guys are the best!

Thanks,

Fred

Here are some additional pictures. Hopefully not too many. The reason I asked about hoses used is TS asked me my exhaust set up. I'm not sure if the hose length is determine by this exhaust type. It really it looks like mine could have been a bit shorter. As an aside I wrapped my red cube per Vic Syracuse recommendation.

IMG_4152.JPGIMG_4338.JPGIMG_4338.JPGIMG_4337.JPGIMG_4151.JPGIMG_3932.jpgIMG_4962.JPGIMG_4946.jpgIMG_4947.JPG

Last edited:
Back