What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locking canopy on the 14

samgaddis

Hi all,

I have the non-locking canopy latch mechanism on my 14 (see image). 9 times out of 10 this is no big deal, but I’m curious what options might be available to modify it with something that locks.

Drilling the two tabs and adding a padlock doesn’t seem like a good option because the width of the tabs would necessitate a very small padlock that could be snipped easily. Plus a padlock almost invites bolt cutters, and just looks weird to boot.

I didn’t build my RV so I’m not sure what the best options would be. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 11.01.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 11.01.45 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
On my flying RV14, I opted for the small luggage padlock as you described. My thinking is/was that I wanted it secure enough to prevent curiosity, but light enough (bolt cutters would easily defeat it) that the serious avionics thief would break the lock rather than smash the canopy. I still feel this way. However, on my new build, I’m omitting the lock completely. In almost all cases of overnight parking, I use a canopy cover that offers almost the same security. YMMV

I travel with a Throttle lock on my push-pull throttle. It is heavy and uses a construction padlock that doesn’t expose the shackle and would be hard to get a bolt cutter on to cut it. As far as I’m concern, I’d rather they take the radios than break the canopy or steal the bird. Radios are insured so I’d get new ones!

Small padlock for past 20 years

Also use a canopy cover for overnight - never had a problem (knock on wood).
Used heat shrink on the lock body to keep it from marring the fuselage.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Also use a canopy cover for overnight - never had a problem (knock on wood).
Used heat shrink on the lock body to keep it from marring the fuselage.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I use a small piece of the canopy cover with a hole in it to shield the fuselage from the luggage lock. A sample piece was included with my cover from Bruce’s.

Back