What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LIO-360 conversion to IO-360 possible?

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I am interested in finding an IO-360 C1E6 for my RV14A build and have found numerous LIO-360-C1E6 for sale online. Obviously the IO version is more popular and I understand that some have used the LIO version with the left rotation, however, I'm not interested in that. I was just wondering if its possible for an LIO-360 to be converted to an IO-360 if the crank is changed etc. during an overhaul. If I can find a cheap LIO-360 is this feasible and can the case and accessories still be used or. Again forgive me if a dumb question.

Last edited:
You can investigate by downloading a Lycoming IO360 Parts Manual & comparing all the parts that differences compared to a standard 360.
I would assume the cam & mags are the minimum differences, possibly accessory timing gears also. You would have to split the case to get to the camshaft for sure.

Thanks for the feedback. I will investigate, however, it seems like it could be more hassle than it's worth. Just gotta find someone parting out a Seneca. :)

I am interested in finding an IO-360 C1E6 for my RV14A build and have found numerous LIO-360-C1E6 for sale online. Obviously the IO version is more popular and I understand that some have used the LIO version with the left rotation, however, I'm not interested in that. I was just wondering if its possible for an LIO-360 to be converted to an IO-360 if the crank is changed etc. during an overhaul. If I can find a cheap LIO-360 is this feasible and can the case and accessories still be used or. Again forgive me if a dumb question.
What about putting a CC propeller on? is the engine mount canted one way? Vertical fin?

Aerodon

I'd be interested in learning more about this. I don't think the crankshaft would need to be changed. The crank is planar and the damper weights are symmetrical. Cam shaft would need to be changed for sure, and an idler gear in the accessory case. Can't just have all the accessory gears turn the other way because prop governors and vacuum pumps only turn one way. Tach drives too probably.

...and in addition to all of the above, the motor mount would need to changed to put the 4° offset in the other direction, and invert the F-781 VSTAB attach plate to kick the Vstab the other direction...

Then, after all that, re-train yourself to use LEFT Rudder to maintain the centerline

:)

Have a look at the PC-406-2 parts manual. Spells out the differences in at least the C-series engines. A quick look shows the crank, cam, accessory housing, oil pump housing and flywheel all unique to LH rotation engines.

The crankshaft oil holes are on the opposite side of the throws.
Ahhhh. That's interesting. So the point in the rotation where the crank journals are charged with high pressure oil is timed to a particular point in the rotation? Presumably close to where the loads are highest?

The hardest parts would be getting a modified engine mount *and cowl* for the left turning engine. Shifting the vertical stab should be a lot easier, and learning to fly with your left foot leading instead of your right is possible.

The hardest parts would be getting a modified engine mount *and cowl* for the left turning engine. Shifting the vertical stab should be a lot easier, and learning to fly with your left foot leading instead of your right is possible.
The OP's question was not about putting a left-turning engine on an RV, but rather converting a left-turning engine to right-turning. Thus no motor mount or cowl mods needed. Just an engine overhaul. Depending on availability and price, it might make sense to use an LIO-360 as a core and convert it to an IO-360. The other question that came to my mind is why he might a IO-360-C engine? Rear horizontal induction. That would create a lot of headaches FWF

Ahhhh. That's interesting. So the point in the rotation where the crank journals are charged with high pressure oil is timed to a particular point in the rotation? Presumably close to where the loads are highest?
You are stretching my brain way back here, IIRC the oil supply hole is opposite the load bearing zone.

The OP's question was not about putting a left-turning engine on an RV, but rather converting a left-turning engine to right-turning. Thus no motor mount or cowl mods needed. Just an engine overhaul. Depending on availability and price, it might make sense to use an LIO-360 as a core and convert it to an IO-360. The other question that came to my mind is why he might a IO-360-C engine? Rear horizontal induction. That would create a lot of headaches FWF

Thanks for all the info. The main reason I asked was because the RV-14 requires an engine with the prop governor on the front left part of the case, no room at the rear due aircraft design. I'm looking at alternatives to a new IO-390 and the IO-360 C1E6 or A16D fits the bill. It is just that they are not easy to find and the LIO-360 C1E6 are more readily available.

Yes, that is correct. Before the load about 60 degrees
So if you were to run the engine the other way, the bearing journals would have lower oil pressure at the point where the loads are high. The pressure decays as oil leaks out the sides of the journal. I wonder if the pressure drops fast enough to actually matter to bearing life?

Back