What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Label / placard requirements

TX7A

Well Known Member
Is labeling required for the throttle/prop/mixture controls? (I know they each have a different "feel" by how the knob is molded.) I've looked in the FAR's for the info but what I find is for certificated A/C.
Also, I want to label my autopilot toggle switch as "A/P". (Because of space constraints.) Is that acceptable?
Does the word "ON" have to be on a toggle switch label; or is it assumed that if the switch is up, then it is on?
Am I over-thinking this stuff?? :confused:
Is there a source for these types of labeling requirements for experimental A/C? What do the DARs expect?....
(Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here ;))
Thanks,

This EAA document....

Is labeling required for the throttle/prop/mixture controls? (I know they each have a different "feel" by how the knob is molded.) I've looked in the FAR's for the info but what I find is for certificated A/C.
Also, I want to label my autopilot toggle switch as "A/P". (Because of space constraints.) Is that acceptable?
Does the word "ON" have to be on a toggle switch label; or is it assumed that if the switch is up, then it is on?
Am I over-thinking this stuff?? :confused:
Is there a source for these types of labeling requirements for experimental A/C? What do the DARs expect?....
(Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here ;))
Thanks,

...might help giving you guidelines.

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebui...ards, Numbers_ Dont forget these items.html?

Member login may be required.

The way I was told by my FSDO.

Everything had to be labeled in such a manner that if anybody jumped in your plane to fly it.... they could see what everything did. Even if they were stealing the plane.

Assume nothing. You know what that word means as*-u-me.

Ted

What does your DAR say?

I have the standard shaped push/pull vernier style throttle/prop/mix, so it should not be required to label them, but my DAR wanted labels. Enough said. So I have little circular labels that fit on the ends of the controls. It actually looks ok labeled.

If you want to save some time, I have a throttlepropmix.doc file that you can use to make your own. I just printed them to a glossy photo using a photo printer. You can optionally laminate if you want them to last. Then just cut them out and afix them with some two-sided tape.

Don

Infinity Stick Grip

I can't find enough room to label the buttons/switches as well as the Up-Down functions for trim and flaps where my hand doesn't rub them off. Anybody find a solution?

My controls and switches are labeled in name only (THROTTLE, LANDING LIGHT, etc). Their function or operation is not labled. My DAR never said a word about it.

All thieves left behind,

Thanks, Gil & others.
I looked through documentation and LOTS of forum panel pics and I've just about decided that there's about as many answers to my questions as there are panels.

My controls and switches are labeled in name only (THROTTLE, LANDING LIGHT, etc). Their function or operation is not labeled. My DAR never said a word about it.
If the operation of the control is "normal or standard" for that particular control, I usually won't question it. However, if the operation of the control differs from normal or standard, then it should be labeled as such.
Just use a little common sense. If I get in your aircraft and can't figure out how to operate a control properly, then I want to see properly labeling.

Any suggestions here Mel? A placard maybe?

Same rule applies. Each function should be labeled. If the operation is obvious, then you need not go further. For example, trim button needs a label to show "Trim". If pushing forward trims nose down, that's normal. If pushing left trims left roll, that's normal. Any operation not normal needs additional labeling.
This is the way I look at it. Other inspectors may require more.

Infinity grip

I'm just wondering how to actually apply labels to the grip. Particularly so they will stay on with all the handling.

Have you seen any good solutions?

Same rule applies. Each function should be labeled. If the operation is obvious, then you need not go further. For example, trim button needs a label to show "Trim". If pushing forward trims nose down, that's normal. If pushing left trims left roll, that's normal. Any operation not normal needs additional labeling.
This is the way I look at it. Other inspectors may require more.

I’m wondering the same thing. After reviewing lots of pictures, I noticed that many are not labeled.

According to Mel, the required minimum placard or label would not pass.

How does one label a military grip were PTT and index buttons are out of the pilot’s sight?

I’m wondering the same thing. After reviewing lots of pictures, I noticed that many are not labeled.

According to Mel, the required minimum placard or label would not pass.

How does one label a military grip were PTT and index buttons are out of the pilot’s sight?

I suspect many don't label the stick. I didn't. I was inspected by FSDO not DAR and my experience was a 5 minute cursory glance at the plane (though I did get the ever popular "where is your compass" question) followed by an hour of paperwork followed by 30 minutes of factually incorrect preaching about maintenance sign off process. He kept telling me I had to follow part 43. I finally emailed him the first page, which says it doesn't apply to experimental and he replied "Wow, I never knew that; These rule are confusing." It was an interesting experience. First inspection was a bit different. He did even less and said that he still needed to be overseen by a supervisor as he was still new and wasn't expected to know much. I asked how long he had been there and he replied 14 months. I remember thinking that I wished I had a job like that; I felt I was lucky to have 14 days before I was expected to perform at 100%

No intent to dump on the FAA here; Just amusing stories for a Monday morning.

Last edited:
Control labels

I still have a few pages of these. Send me an e-mail (below) for my address. Send a self addressed stamped envalope. I'll send a set or two or three. They are precut and fit Vans or Bowden cables.
Apologies if the one label offends.
Or
If you prefer the Adobe Illustrator file to make your own, I can e-mail that.
20221226_103738.jpg

Last edited:
Engraving

Aircraft Engravers in Granby CT is a good source with a great website. They do everything from custom plastic to fuel cap engraving.

I put a laser engraved "business card" with the stick and throttle switch functions on the (custom) side console.

Drew it up in Visio and ordered a couple on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 251
I bought Tosten grips and had them etched.
Midwest Panel Builders
View attachment 35718

Very nice and just what the doctor ordered. I saw this and was thinking of putting a transfer on in front of the throttle but the engraved are sweeeeet looking.

Attachments

• 91E26100-5470-4A95-8ADE-4A56342AB55F.jpg
    91E26100-5470-4A95-8ADE-4A56342AB55F.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 202
I still have a few pages of these. Send me an e-mail (below) for my address. Send a self addressed stamped envalope. I'll send a set or two or three. They are precut and fit Vans or Bowden cables.
Apologies if the one label offends.
Or
If you prefer the Adobe Illustrator file to make your own, I can e-mail that.
View attachment 35717

Larry,
I would like to take you up on that offer. Could I get two of the sets? If you can PM me an address I will send you an envelope. Also, I would love to get a copy of the file. You can see my contact information on the link in my signature. Call or email anytime.

I did something similar to Larry: Laser printed on metallic sticker paper I got from a craft store. Of course, I like the look of his black ones better after I did mine. The fact that they are only stickers means easy to redesign.

I considered machining and engraving the wording onto little fiberglass disks which I'd bond to the cable pulls, but then I told myself just finish the darn plane and I can get fancy later.

For the stick grips, my Ray Allen grips conveniently have little rectangular insets where you can apply stickers, and they provide a nice set of potential stickers.

I bought Tosten grips and had them etched.
Midwest Panel Builders
View attachment 35718

The rest of the panel was done this way.
It's A Wrap

I called Midwest today. Learned that the plastic must be a special plastic that turns white when the laser hits it. If not, then it melts.

Either let Tosten or Midwest know when you order. BTW - It's $40 per grip for the etching.

Are such labels and placards (other than "Experimental" and Passenger Warning) addressed by FAA regulation, or are we solely talking "best practice" or subjectively applied by a DAR? IOW, would the absence of such labels/placards be noted in the event of a ramp check?

Etching

I called Midwest today. Learned that the plastic must be a special plastic that turns white when the laser hits it. If not, then it melts.

Either let Tosten or Midwest know when you order. BTW - It's $40 per grip for the etching.

Yes. I forgot to mention. It's easier to call Midwest and let them do the entire job. They will make sure you get the sticks and switches exact. Minor additional cost to let them get the hardware.

Back