What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KAPA hangars

Hangar 1271

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me the opportunity to get a hangar and the pluses and minuses of each option? There seem to be a bunch of choices but, from a distance of 2,000 miles, it is hard to get a feel for it. KBJC's waiting list for hangars starts at 8 years and goes up to 18 years! That doesn't seem to be a realistic option.

Are there any other options for hangars west of the city? I'd rather not drive 90 min each way to get to my plane.

Thanks.

Hangars are scarce up and down the Front Range.

There aren't any airports immediately to the west of Denver, due to the proximity of the mountains.

On the south side, there is KAPA, which is crazy busy. Friends of mine that used to be based there complained about the long waits to get departure clearances due to the heavy traffic in and out of corporate and DOD aircraft.

Northwest of Denver is Rocky Mountain Metro (KBJC), locally still often referred to as Jeffco. You've already encountered the hangar situation there.

North of KBJC is Boulder (KBDU). A vote is being held today about closing that airport. We'll hear soon how that vote goes. Needless to say, however, in that environment no new hangars are being built. The existing hangars, mostly owned by the city, are in various states of delapidation.

Northeast of Boulder is Erie (KEIK). I'm not sure of the status of hangars there, but I suspect the waits are as bad as at KBJC. North of Boulder is Longmont (KLMO), which is where I'm based. It is possible to build hangars at KLMO, as there is still developable land, but the recent new ones are very, very pricey. There are official waiting lists for hangars, which are many years long. Unofficially, I'm aware of people hearing about someone contemplating selling and getting lucky on a hangar. Part of the pressure on hangars at KLMO is that the Fort Collins-Loveland airport recently kicked approximately 50 GA airplanes out of city-owned hangars. Those folks have been flooding all the surrounding airports looking for space.

Swinging around to the East, there are a couple residential airparks. There's also Platte Valley (18V), which is a favorite of mine for a quick hop, but it's pretty far out in the boonies. There's KDEN of course, but regular folks avoid it as fees are high and controllers aren't interested in GA traffic smaller than corporate jets. Just south of KDEN is the Colorado Air and Space Port (KFCO), formerly called Front Range Airport. It has private hangars and may have space to build additional ones. I don't have any recent info about wait lists there. It probably is worth checking.

Long answer, I know. But that's an overview.

Best of luck, Ken

I don't think the Boulder vote is today, but rather another stupid "community open house" where people can complain about living near an airport that has existed for 98 years and was there when they bought or built their houses. The city did get a very sternly worded letter from the FAA which basically said "You don't get to choose whether to close an airport. We choose whether to close an airport. And we don't want to close Boulder, so back off."

None the less, the last I heard the waiting list was 316 people deep to get one of the 80 T hangars.

There is also an air park very close to Denver airport called Van Aire. All the hangars are attached to homes, but I know about one house where they have a hangar and the lady living there (a widow) doesn't want to move and doesn't have a plane, and therefore is willing to rent the hangar. I was looking to move there when I got bumped out of my sublease at Boulder, but before I found another solution. I can provide info if interested.

I will add that there are rumors that the increasing redevelopment of KBJC will result in there being fewer county owned hangars in the future than there are now. They may also kick out all the port-o-ports. That appears to be a 2-3 years down the road thing.

They've already decided to close the crosswind runway.

Really? They are closing 3-21?

Given the HUGE amount of student traffic at KBJC I'm surprised. I only needed to use it once or twice when I was training there a long time ago, but it offered quite a bit of safety margin for a student in the pattern when the wind shifted.

Back