What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JPI EDM 350 pireps

SwimmingDragonfly96

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,

Currently have a flying 7A that I'm doing a light glass upgrade on. For EMS, I currently have a JPI 700 that does CHT/EGT, OAT and FF, however, I would like to get rid of all my other gauges if possible (map, tach, oil T, oil P, amps, fuel pressure, L+R fuel tank gauges). The 830 is an attractive option but doesn't support amps, or fuel level, so that's three gauges I would need to keep. The 350 seems like I can add on all the necessary sensors (for a **** fortune, exceeding the 830 cost) to get rid of everything. Does anyone here use an EDM350 as their primary? Does it give you all the information you need? Trying to stick to JPI since it's fairly plug and play.

Yup

I'm using the JPI 350 for everything. I've got about 150 hours on it so far. No issues.

You may also want to take a look at the EI CGR30P which I use, great unit and great folks. They usually have good deals at Osh.

You may also want to take a look at the EI CGR30P which I use, great unit and great folks. They usually have good deals at Osh.

Hey Walt,

It's very tempting and if I was starting from scratch, I think this is what I would go with. However, since I have a 700 already, I think I may just take the easy route and upgrade to the 350.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey everyone,

Currently have a flying 7A that I'm doing a light glass upgrade on. For EMS, I currently have a JPI 700 that does CHT/EGT, OAT and FF, however, I would like to get rid of all my other gauges if possible (map, tach, oil T, oil P, amps, fuel pressure, L+R fuel tank gauges). The 830 is an attractive option but doesn't support amps, or fuel level, so that's three gauges I would need to keep. The 350 seems like I can add on all the necessary sensors (for a **** fortune, exceeding the 830 cost) to get rid of everything. Does anyone here use an EDM350 as their primary? Does it give you all the information you need? Trying to stick to JPI since it's fairly plug and play.

I recently installed the EDM 350 to replace my ancient RMI uMonitor. I had a couple of hiccups in setup but now it is working nicely (I had to educate JPI tech about a couple of "features" that weren't documented). I'm not using the fuel gauges since I have an accurate EI gauge but I piggy back it to the Floscan I use with the Trio Pro Pilot and it totalizes nicely. It does everything I need, pleased so far. Keep in mind it is a small display, it might not be the best option for those with vision issues. The harnesses and senders are over-priced but......

Worth noting, we are working on a discounted, experimental version of the CGR-30P and are hoping to have more info available at Osh. Stop by the booth for a chat! Upgrade paths will likely be available, as well.

Wish I could be there but I won’t. Any ideas on timeline for the experimental 30P?

Worth noting, we are working on a discounted, experimental version of the CGR-30P and are hoping to have more info available at Osh. Stop by the booth for a chat! Upgrade paths will likely be available, as well.

It’s about time, I’m gonna stop by and see what’s new!

Hopefully have the package details finished and ready to market at Osh. The hardware doesn't change from the certified version, only what what is allowed to be monitored (more!) and the price (less!). :)

Love the look of this over the JPI stuff. Looking forward to seeing the experimental version soon, I may just do a complete retrofit.

Love the look of this over the JPI stuff. Looking forward to seeing the experimental version soon, I may just do a complete retrofit.

Quick pick of my setup...

2022112918441967--414909244176540453-XL.jpg

I'm not Walt so I'll give you an answer that might be useful for you. ;)

I estimate it took me 20-25 hours to remove the uMonitor from my RV-6, cut a new adapter panel and completely install and configure the JPI EDM-350. I consider myself a fairly competent builder, maybe this will be helpful for planning purposes.

By the way, I'll cut Walt a bit of slack, retrofitting can open all sorts of worm cans.

Last edited:
I use the JPI EDM 350 as a primary to replace another non-functional engine monitor. It was easy to install, setup is automatic, and it provides everything I could possibly need in one 3 1/4" instrument! Additionally, it archives engine parameters for download and later review. (Just having trouble figuring out how the use the graphing software....)

In any case, I recommend it.

I'm not Walt so I'll give you an answer that might be useful for you. ;)

I estimate it took me 20-25 hours to remove the uMonitor from my RV-6, cut a new adapter panel and completely install and configure the JPI EDM-350. I consider myself a fairly competent builder, maybe this will be helpful for planning purposes.

By the way, I'll cut Walt a bit of slack, retrofitting can open all sorts of worm cans.

Sorry just being my normal smart a** self :cool:
Assuming a full install I would probably quote a week/40hrs.
All the sensors plus fuel tank calibration is a lot of work, assuming a hole is already in the panel also.
And there's always the 'other stuff' that inevitably pops up.

Back