What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James Linder - Apache Pilot Lost

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Monday night I had a great friend pass away in a training flight in an Apache helicopter. James Linder was a husband and father of three great boys.

Newspaper Article

James had a huge passion for aviation. He and I first met at the University of Utah while we were working on our Mechnical Engineering degrees. He was the smartest guy and I thought I was pretty smart by being friends with the smartest guy. I don't know if would have made it through without him. We would fly model airplanes and he was really into helicopters. In 1998 we attended Oshkosh together and had a great time. He worked as an engineer for Motion Control where he did prosthetic limb design. With 100% support of his wife, he gave it all up one day and joined the National Guard so he could fly. He spent over a year in Afghanistan and came home to become an Apache instructor. He followed his passion and loved flying that Apache.
During his tour he and I would e-mail while I was building my RV-10. He really like the RV's and was looking forward to getting his fixed wing license.
I know he'll be with me everytime I go up.

James, you'll be missed.

186780219-M.jpg

Thanks for sharing that, Scott. James sounds like the kind of person we would all want to call friend.

I'm so sorry.

d

Scott,

I had a friend like that, a FAC in Viet Nam. You may have seen his name on the right side of my canopy. I know how you feel, buddy. Hang in there.

Bob Kelly

Along with being an instructor for the Apache he was an incredible engineer. This is the company he started. Approach Engineering

He owned a laser cutter and a bunch of other cool equipment. He did this in his basement when he had free time. He truely was an aviator to the greatest extent and dedicated his life to flight. James is a great example for all of us.

Ghost Squadron

After 23 years in Marine Aviation, mostly rotary wings, I've watched many friends pass. All were through "training accidents" - none in combat. My ghost squadron has a full muster of pilots and crew men. Sorry about his loss. Military aviation, especially helicopters, claims many good people.

Jekyll

I share your loss

It was my pleasure to know James and be part of the same aviation unit in Afghanistan. Both he and his co-pilot Clayton Barnes will be missed.

Terry
CW4 (retired)
RV-7

A toast

Here is a toast to these two pilots.. Our thanks go to them for paying the ultimate price for our freedom. Personally, I count myself as very very lucky, my Blackhawk always brought me back safe and sound... however, I too have lost quite a few friends in military helicopters... May their families be comforted by our prayers and may their memories live on forever. Peace be with you my Brothers.

Back