What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacksonville Ordinance 2006-543-E

I invite you to visit the builders website and look at the pictures of the neighborhood. This is not a deed restricted/gated area. Just a regular working-Joe street. I would have to say that his house is one of the better kept on the street.

www.jaxairplane.com

I'm afraid I would be very tempted to buy a Harley, nasty boat, and and old RV (camper) just for spite. Perhaps he could store his projects in an old school bus?

JAX ordinance

fl-mike said:
I invite you to visit the builders website and look at the pictures of the neighborhood. This is not a deed restricted/gated area. Just a regular working-Joe street. I would have to say that his house is one of the better kept on the street.

www.jaxairplane.com

I'm afraid I would be very tempted to buy a Harley, nasty boat, and and old RV (camper) just for spite. Perhaps he could store his projects in an old school bus?

I used to live in a small town in Ohio, and I started to receive similar notices and citations after having had a boat parked in my driveway for about two weeks.
Seems as they had an ordinance that you couldn't have anything other than a car parked in such a manner where it would protrude toward the street past a line formed by the boundaries of the residence. I promptly removed the boat, but then I went around the neighborhood taking pictures of similar situations and interviewed some of the neighbors who pointed to some boats, campers and motor homes that had been there since the Kennedy administration!
I wrote a couple of very interesting letters to the city council complete with pictures, but after I started showing up at the televised council meetings with some of my pictures, actually showing council member's properties in violation, they began to take a different view of the ordinance.
Before it was all over, they sent me a copy of a revised zoning ordinance for my approval before it went into law!
Moral: You can indeed fight City Hall-and WIN!

P.S. If they only allow you to have a "car" parked there, use your imagination.
For example, I found that that an old Oscar Meyer wiener mobile qualifies as a "car" as long as it's properly tagged!

Last edited:
Here it is....from the EAA hotline..

JACKSONVILLE ORDINANCE PROHIBITING HOMEBUILDING AT HOME UPHELD
Motion seeks clarification

December 20, 2006 - Homebuilt aviation enthusiasts and aircraft restorers in Jacksonville, Florida, are continuing to pursue their legal options after a judge recently ruled the city?s ordinance prohibiting work on airplanes at home was constitutional. That ruling allows charges against an EAA member for violating the ordinance to move forward, but a motion for rehearing and/or clarification on the order has already been filed.
The ordinance, passed in the summer of 2006, contains two sections: (a) prohibits parking or storing aircraft or airboats in residentially zoned areas, except in completely enclosed buildings; and (b) prohibits anyone from repairing, testing, operating, modifying, or altering flying craft or airboats anywhere on a residential lot.

Brian Kraut, EAA 692635, was cited for violating both provisions of the ordinance (656.420) and sought to have it ruled unconstitutional, but Duval County Judge John Moran?s ruling upheld the ordinance. However, in his ruling he addressed only section (a) of the ordinance, writing, ?Defendant has not been deprived of his right to own aircraft or store them on his property; he may own any aircraft but store it off-site or on his property in an enclosed garage.? There were no comments on section (b).

That?s what led Kraut?s attorney, Jeffrey R. Ludwig, to motion for rehearing and/or clarification. ?In his order, the (judge) really didn?t get into talking about if it was permissible under the ordinance for a homebuilder to work on an airplane in his garage, and that?s what everyone is excited about.

?The judge didn?t clarify how working on an airplane is different from common hobbies such as working on a car in a garage,? said Ludwig, EAA 316810.

A hearing date on the motion has not been set, but Ludwig feels ultimately the solution will likely involve legislative modification to the law.

EAA Chapter 193 in Jacksonville is helping to finance Kraut?s appeal on the ordinance. ?I credit the chapter for stepping up to the plate,? Ludwig said. ?It?s of vital interest to not only EAA members, but to aviation as a whole in Duval County.?

For more information, visit www.jaxairplane.com.

Back