What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this thing grounded?

RayJr

Hello,
This is my com cable where it goes through the floor and attaches to the antenna

Can someone tell me if this connection is grounding the shielding to the skin? Nowhere else on this coax is there a shield ground.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_131154.jpg
    IMG_20230625_131154.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 85
Hello,
This is my com cable where it goes through the floor and attaches to the antenna

Can someone tell me if this connection is grounding the shielding to the skin? Nowhere else on this coax is there a shield ground.

Thanks for the help

Put a multimeter on it to see if there is continuity?

Exactly, check continuity between the case of the plug to aircraft skin. If it's not grounded whatever radio is connected to it probably wouldn't function.

Last edited:
Antenna GND

Normally the antenna is mounted with 4 screws to the aircraft skin.
This provides a GND for the antenna.
The antenna BNC connector (shield) is connected to GND inside the antenna.

Good luck

…Nowhere else on this coax is there a shield ground.

Thanks for the help

Hopefully there is an identical looking plug at the transmitter, which connects the shield to the local ground there. The coax is a transmission line; the shield must be connected at both ends.
Most antennas route the shield connection at the BNC connector to the aircraft skin by either routing the signal to the airframe connecting screws, or to a flat metal plate on the bottom of the antenna which is in good contact with the skin. If you’re having trouble you might check the bottom of the antenna where it is in contact with the skin: no paint, no corrosion, there.

Back