What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this really going to happen?

BruceMe

Well Known Member
This post is long winded and speculative. I know nothing except what I've read on the Vans site and in the old -11 yahoo group.

I dont see Vans Aircraft ever releasing a motorglider kit. Van himself is pretty fickle about it; what he's off building an RV-10 now. The company itself has steared a very sound course for bigger and better things. Good for the company, but where's a small low-cost single-place "total performance" motorglider in that objective?

Are they going to take the time to make a kit? Not really likely, that takes time and money and assumes a reasonable expectation that there will be a market. Lets face it, there isn't one. I guess I could see a plans-only glider with some kitting (engine mount, landing gear, etc). But that hasn't happened in Vans since when I was born (1973).

Still, I will remain optimistic and keep looking for progress.

-Bruce

Reading through the various information on all of Vans' aircraft, his motor glider stands out in that I get the feeling that it's a personal pet project of his rather than one that will ever get put on the front burner in order to sell more kits like the more financially viable designs he's now producing.
Even Vans' new Sport Pilot design (RV12) that now seems to be on the hot list is on that list probably because it will sell a lot more than would a motor glider.

I wouldn't hold your breath, but when Van is ready to finish it, it probably will get finished.

RV-11 Motorglider

I've been wondering the last year or so if Van's was ever going to come to market with the RV-11 motorglider. Now that Van has started on an RV-10, I think the question has been answered.

Sonex makes a motorglider kit called the Xenos. I've seen it at Oshkosh and read a couple of articles about it. Looks like a very nice ship. I wouldn't mind building one someday. But as far as I know, hardly anyone has bought the kit.

My theory is that the market for motorgliders is extremely small. I don't blame Van's for not putting resources into the RV-11 if there's no market.

The question is, why is the market so small? Again, my theory is that it is because very few pilots have soared and don't know how much fun it can be. A motorglider like the Xenos or RV-11 would be in the same speed range as a Cessna 172 or Citabria, but if you want to stop somewhere and thermal or ridge-soar, you can do it. No tow-plane required!

My two cents.

Motor + Glider = Obscuration

Bill,

Powered pilots take one look at my self-launch and say... "It's dangerous you fly it without an engine." Glider pilots look at the same ship and say, "It's dangerous it fly's on an engine."

When I go to a glider port with my self-launch Silent-IN, one would think it would garnesh a lot of attention... It really doesn't. The glider types tell me to get out of their way, and the powered types are annoyed that they have to get out of my way.

I honestly believe powered gliders are THE most under-rated form of aviation going. There is no other way to get that much glider time. Some day I think glider pilots will understand the benifits of self-launch and larger sub-set of powered pilots will learn the beutty and skill required to fly a glider.

-Bruce

Rv-11... Lsa?

I too would like to see the -11 happen, and after I'm done building the -9 (several years from now) the -11 would be the next thing I'd build. This could be flown as an LSA, couldn't it?
Johnny

Sure, but the RV12 is coming out soon which is designed from the get-go to be LSA compliant. You could always build a '12 for yourself, and then join a glider club that has real tow planes and stuff.

Since you'll have a -9 already, would you care if something else you flew were LSA compliant?

Highflight said:
Sure, but the RV12 is coming out soon which is designed from the get-go to be LSA compliant. You could always build a '12 for yourself, and then join a glider club that has real tow planes and stuff.

Since you'll have a -9 already, would you care if something else you flew were LSA compliant?

As it stands, no, I don't need an LSA. I'm not getting any younger, though, and should the need arise it's nice to have the option. As for the glider club - fun, great comraderie (sp?), and spendy! 30 years ago when I flew gliders I remember one beautiful day when 2 fairly low tows and just over 3.5 hours in the air cost me over $200! In a Schweitzer 1-26! in 1977 dollars!

N674P said:
I too would like to see the -11 happen, and after I'm done building the -9 (several years from now) the -11 would be the next thing I'd build. This could be flown as an LSA, couldn't it?
Johnny

Doesn't really need to be an LSA. Just get a glider rating, powered or not, no medical (or even drivers license) required. No LSA rules either, fly as high as you can stand and in class A and B.

Bruce is right, powered sailplanes are under-rated. At one point in time I was looking really hard at a Russia AC-5. I considered a Xenos but it's not a powered sailplane, it's a motorglider.

If you haven't soared you don't know what you're missing.

Rat

Back