What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 Hot Start

dhsa

I have about 1200 hours on my -10's Lycoming IO-540 and the hot starts are becoming very difficult. Any suggestions, experiences or advice on how to remedy the problem?

Fuel

I'm just throwing something out here but do you have a return line that you can purge hot fuel from?

Jason

I have about 1200 hours on my -10's Lycoming IO-540 and the hot starts are becoming very difficult. Any suggestions, experiences or advice on how to remedy the problem?

Key here is you were fine for 1200 hours, and now "becoming" more difficult. Clearly your not a newbee trying to figure out a hot start. Are you noticing any other symptoms at all? And what are you having to do different to be successful on the hot start?

As simple example, worn stretched mixture cables can prevent making idle cut off stop, making hot start more difficult. It would also be a useful test to set up for a VERY hart start with cowl off, and a second pair of eyes to see if there is excess fuel being delivered during idle cutoff cranks and things of that nature. Something has changed/ is changing.

Last edited:
Something's changed

I agree with Kahuna. You didn't mention what kind of ignition system(s) you might have on it. It's all about air, fuel, and spark at the right time in the right amounts. I see you are in Atlanta so if you need help bring it down to my place and I'm sure we can figure it out.

Vic

Also agree with everyone, if it has become an issue suddenly, something may be failing.

If you dont have a return line installed, there is a method for hot starting. Open your throttle (fully open), close the mixture. Hit your starter. Keep your right hand on the mixture lever and soon as the engine starts, reduce the throttle to idle while simutaniosly adjusting the mixture to full open, or as required. Works very well with Lycoming turbo engine which are notorious for hot start issues.

It is a Silverhawk injection system (no fuel purge return line) and dual mags, one with impulse coupling. I think it has been a gradual thing. It cold starts just fine. I didn't try to hot start it when it was here. It could be a stretched mixture cable.

Plugs too.

If they are old Champions the higher resistance and maybe plug gap could be conspiring against you.

Set of Tempest Fine Wires does wonderful things for start and smooth LOP ops. ;)

Back