What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance discount for IFR rating

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I hear it often that getting an IFR rating lowers your insurance. Generally speaking what are the economics of this? Given the not insignificant expense of acquiring the rating, roughly how much of a discount does the average private pilot realize.

A good question for your broker/agent. Underwriting policies are variable, not just from company to company but sometimes from underwriter to underwriter.

IMHO there are many good reasons to get an instrument rating...insurance rates should probably be relatively low on the list.

its been a very long time since i got my instrument rating, but i seem to recall i chuckled at whatever premium reduction i received as a result of the rating.

Having just passed my instrument this morning, I can say when I asked Shanna with AJG last year what my discount might be once I was done... it was looking to be a single digit percentage. I figured it wouldn't be much, but... o_O:cautious:

Mine dropped pretty substantially but I had a builders policy claim the year prior, so hard to say how much of that was the rating.

The instrument rating is a very very valuable one besides insurance though so keep the other benefits in mind too.

Mine dropped pretty substantially but I had a builders policy claim the year prior, so hard to say how much of that was the rating.

The instrument rating is a very very valuable one besides insurance though so keep the other benefits in mind too.
As far as I can tell the $ benefit of the instrument rating and insurance is pretty much confined to low time pilots, e.g., for a -10, and a 150 hour VFR PP, some companies won't write insurance at all, but they would write it (but expensive) if the same guy had the instrument rating. For me, the biggest benefit was the confidence factor that I could take a weekend trip and be pretty sure of getting home. KLVK, especially in the winter, often has low stratus (600' ceiling) come in from the ocean, around 8 pm or so, and last until just after dawn. Without the rating, I wouldn't go away for the weekend, out of fear that I'd be stranded until Monday; but with the rating, it was a very easy ILS or LPV approach. BTW, the controlled airspace around LVK, plus the high terrain in all quadrants, made scud running a very poor choice.

Mine dropped about 30% when I notified them I had my instrument. My agent hinted I'd see another drop when I add commercial (that's next month) - plus my time in type goes to 100+ vice the 10 I opened the policy with.

Based upon what I've seen some folks paying...I'm actually quite pleased atm.

Mine dropped about 30% when I notified them I had my instrument. My agent hinted I'd see another drop when I add commercial (that's next month) - plus my time in type goes to 100+ vice the 10 I opened the policy with.

Based upon what I've seen some folks paying...I'm actually quite pleased atm.
Time in type is a big deal with insurance companies, until it's greater than 100 hrs. My guess is your "IFR" rate drop was actually due mostly to more time in type. Same for the commercial (going from less than 100 hrs to more than 100 hours seems to be a big deal to many insurers). I would venture to guess that virtually all of your projected premium decrease will be due to time in type, with zero for the commercial ticket.

My insurance has been pretty flat for 20+ years till last year. I did get my instrument and commercial over several years during the time my rate was almost unchanged. From what my agent told me, I was getting the lowest possible rate and the lowest possible rate went up last year.

My insurance has been pretty flat for 20+ years till last year. I did get my instrument and commercial over several years during the time my rate was almost unchanged. From what my agent told me, I was getting the lowest possible rate and the lowest possible rate went up last year.
Don’t they always say that?

Don’t they always say that?
My auto and homeowners insurance went went up 30% last year but airplane insurance only went up 20% so I sorta believe the agent on the airplane insurance. I did shop for different auto insurance but could only find same price or higher at other outfits.

My auto and homeowners insurance went went up 30% last year but airplane insurance only went up 20% so I sorta believe the agent on the airplane insurance. I did shop for different auto insurance but could only find same price or higher at other outfits.
What we have found is that insurance companies creep up over time, and then offer lower rates to new customers. Kinda the opposite of a loyalty program. So I change insurance companies every 3 years and find that it cuts my rate down 25% or so. Screw these predatory companies.

IMHO there are many good reasons to get an instrument rating...insurance rates should probably be relatively low on the list.
In my opinion EVERY pilot should be instrument rated. The awareness, abilities, decision making, EVERYTHING is so much better.

It’s just like having ADSB traffic on your iPad. You can see a target on the screen just 2 to 3 miles from you, scan the exact area where you know it is, yet never see them. Just think how many years we’ve been flying with never a clue traffic was so close. Same thing with instrument rating; you will feel lucky to still be here flying when you think back to your skills prior to instrument. You just never knew what you didn’t know.

Get the rating regardless of insurance savings.

I hear it often that getting an IFR rating lowers your insurance. Generally speaking what are the economics of this? Given the not insignificant expense of acquiring the rating, roughly how much of a discount does the average private pilot realize.
I can only share my experience -- 5% was the discount for having IR... or about $75 (actual dollars). I explicitly asked for this info way back when I was getting my IR.

Agreed - an insurance discount does not even belong on the balance sheet about whether or not you go get your IFR.

Back in 2021 when I got my instrument rating it was a $175 insurance savings. I already had a quote from AIG without the rating. Passed the check ride 2 weeks before the insurance renewal, so the savings was purely for the rating. That makes it a 20+ year rate of return. :)

This year's renewal was a couple of hundred bucks lower due to the instrument rating I got last year. But I ate the discount by pumping up the hull value to reflect current costs.

The market is nuts right now, but if I suffered total loss that's the market I'd need to be in to recover.

- mark

Does anyone get a break if you are active in the FAA’s Wings program anymore like did the ground and flight reviews via wings and had the FAA email proof? On my Rv-8, I used to get asked during renewal if I had obtained any Wings levels recently, something like that, which I never did at the time. I do recommend that program now and did do this in lieu of a traditional BFR this year.

Does anyone get a break if you are active in the FAA’s Wings program anymore like did the ground and flight reviews via wings and had the FAA email proof? On my Rv-8, I used to get asked during renewal if I had obtained any Wings levels recently, something like that, which I never did at the time. I do recommend that program now and did do this in lieu of a traditional BFR this year.
My insurance company (Global) doesn't even ask the question about continuing education.

My insurance company (Global) doesn't even ask the question about continuing education.
Might want to ask them and shop around. Traverse was consistently best on price for me and would seemed to always remember to ask if I had any new ratings or wings credits to help get a discount but that was a decade ago when I sold the 8 so this could all be OBE.

Might want to ask them and shop around. Traverse was consistently best on price for me and would seemed to always remember to ask if I had any new ratings or wings credits to help get a discount but that was a decade ago when I sold the 8 so this could all be OBE.
Thanks for the input but my rates have been low enough to be completely acceptable, and I trust my broker. No desire to rock the boat.

The flight club I am in sure likes the Wings program but my personal plane under Global doesn't ask.
Yep, I was also surprised Global's highest certificate they care about is Commercial. Nothing for my CFI or CFII.

Yep, I was also surprised Global's highest certificate they care about is Commercial. Nothing for my CFI or CFII.
I've always assumed that your CFI time gets you a better quote via your reported hours, e.g. time in insured airplane = 50 hours, time in other airplanes = 60 hours. The insurance company knows you got 110 hours of experience and staying current while they only had to insure 50 of those hours. A good deal for them.

I've always assumed that your CFI time gets you a better quote via your reported hours, e.g. time in insured airplane = 50 hours, time in other airplanes = 60 hours. The insurance company knows you got 110 hours of experience and staying current while they only had to insure 50 of those hours. A good deal for them.
Ya that's a good point I never thought about Bob.

Back