What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument panel location

MarkCFI

Well Known Member
I purchased a flying RV-6 last year and I’m making some changes to the throttle and mixture cable attach points at the engine end.

Essentially I’m installing the VANs bracket that installs between the carb and the sump. Now it has a couple of angle aluminum brackets that are bolted to the engine mount.

However when I look at the throttle cable it appears that it is too short to reach the bracket. I suspect that it’s further back than normal as the instrument panel is further back. But I don’t know.

Can someone look at this picture and tell me if that is normally where the panel is? It detached easily and allows access to the connections behind but I don’t think its placement is stock. I think its more aft.

Thanks

IMG_0263.jpeg

I purchased a flying RV-6 last year and I’m making some changes to the throttle and mixture cable attach points at the engine end.

Essentially I’m installing the VANs bracket that installs between the carb and the sump. Now it has a couple of angle aluminum brackets that are bolted to the engine mount.

However when I look at the throttle cable it appears that it is too short to reach the bracket. I suspect that it’s further back than normal as the instrument panel is further back. But I don’t know.

Can someone look at this picture and tell me if that is normally where the panel is? It detached easily and allows access to the connections behind but I don’t think its placement is stock. I think its more aft.

Thanks

View attachment 62140
It looks right to me. If it were any further forward, the hinges wouldn't clear. As far as the engine mounted brackets, most all early RV-6s used brackets made up of angles. In the early days Vans did not offer anything forward of the firewall except the engine mount and cowling.

Last edited:
According to the plans, the two ribs that run between the sub-panel and the panel are 6 inches wide. That should be the distance between the panel and sub-panel.

Thanks very much.

I’m planning on replacing this setup. Though it sounds like it may be somewhat normal depending on year of build

IMG_0260.jpeg

Last edited:
Back