What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of hex type anti-rotation bracket

Mark L

Does anyone have some images of installation of a T-715 hex type anti-rotation bracket on a flop tube? Which parts did you drill for the 2 rivets.

We also did the mod before the new hex brackets came out.

sbfloptube.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope this helps.

Tom

It's not clear in that photo if the safety wire can slip over the edge of that bracket or not. Looks like maybe it can....

Why didn't you drill the bracket and terminate the safety wire there?

It's not clear in that photo if the safety wire can slip over the edge of that bracket or not. Looks like maybe it can....

Why didn't you drill the bracket and terminate the safety wire there?

Dave,

We safety wired it exactly as depicted in Van's SB 06-2-23, figure 2. The safety wire is under sufficient tension to prevent slippage. Your suggestion IMO would also work.

Regards,

Last edited:
Debating on complying

I'm building an RV8. (the ultimate slow build... Started in '99).

I decided to to be extra careful and put a homemade anti-torque bracket on the bulkhead fitting when we made the inboard rib. Now that we're ready to put the tank on the wing, we found this SB. Given the way that we implemented the first service letter, we can't remove the flop tube and bulkhead fitting to safety wire them without destroying the tank.

Has anyone heard of one of these coming loose, other than the fuel starvation incident which precipitated the SB?

A friend got some glider time in a -6A a while back when the pickup unscrewed off the tank fitting inside the tank. He *knew* there was fuel in the tank based on both totalizer & guage, so he didn't switch tanks. :)

Unless you are dead set on sustained inverted flight, a sure cure is a regular pickup mounted in the regular place (inspection cover). That's what I did on my purchased -4.

Charlie

Back