What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Important Update for Your echoUAT Installation

Pitot/static.....

What's all this about pitot connections? Second post you have referred to it. Altitude encoders use static pressure only and airspeed indicators are the only instruments that use pitot. So if your Echo is in the baggage area it is actually closer to the staitic source than if the unit was under the instrument panel. A simple inline tee should do it. No pitot system involved.

Well, I was initially writing pitot/static as it is, after all, a system. When I was emailing uAvionics, I left off the wrong end, meaning to say 'static' and not 'pitot'. Good pickup but it was my brain that didn't make the jump!:p It would still be a PITA to 'T' in but much better not having to....:cool:

Sounds like the new sensor unit altitude data is only used when it can’t get altitude from the transponder (away from the maddening crowds where it is not interrogated enough).
If I were doing it, I’d check and store the difference between the xponder alt and the sensor alt while the xponder was working and apply the difference when using only the sensor. If it is connected to the static system that difference would/should be 0.
But maybe the difference is small enough, even if not connected, that it is not worth the effort..(?) Apparently the FAA is satisfied with whatever they have done.

Sounds like the new sensor unit altitude data is only used when it can’t get altitude from the transponder (away from the maddening crowds where it is not interrogated enough).
If I were doing it, I’d check and store the difference between the xponder alt and the sensor alt while the xponder was working and apply the difference when using only the sensor. If it is connected to the static system that difference would/should be 0.
But maybe the difference is small enough, even if not connected, that it is not worth the effort..(?) Apparently the FAA is satisfied with whatever they have done.

How would you make that offset adjustment? In the echo set up?

I would have the echo read both altitudes and store the offset automatically. Then use the offset when the transponder data goes away.
But all of this is pure conjecture :cool:

My intent was to point out that you do not have to run a pitot line back to your baggage area from under the instrument panel as you were lamenting. Trying to ease your stress about that but I did it in a awkward way.

Well, I was initially writing pitot/static as it is, after all, a system. When I was emailing uAvionics, I left off the wrong end, meaning to say 'static' and not 'pitot'. Good pickup but it was my brain that didn't make the jump!:p It would still be a PITA to 'T' in but much better not having to....:cool:

I have an EchoUAT installed in my Kitfox. Installed in late 2018. Never a problem until missing baro alt started to appear a few months ago. I requested the .KMX file from the FAA and sure enough I'm fine except for the first and final 10-20 seconds of the flight. That led to me discovering the update at Uavionix and ordered the EchoALT. I also asked them why I can't just get the altitude from my AV-30E efis. It is used to provide pressure altitude and control to their tail mounted beaconX transponder. Does anyone have any info regarding this. I have not heard back.

Confused

I have the Echo UAT hooked up to my G327 using the Mux wiring harness. Been great.

Can someone help me? Am I suppose to get this little encoder for my RV7?

I plan on doing Option 1. I have no need for the other options.

Just need some guidance because I am in the same boat at Dennis.

Update: Just got word from uAvionix. I must comply.

Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
Yes. If you have the Echo, it is option #1 and the fix is an easy plug-and-play with no further hookup necessary. Unplug the molex connector from the Echo unit, plug the new unit into that, and plug the molex back in the new unit. At least that is the latest. And it's FREE! And they will be shipping them out in January. Oh, wait.....um........:unsure:

From the looks of things, the new unit, as small as it is, will still need some local support so it isn't just up there flopping around. I guess it would depend on how the Echo is mounted. Mine is mounted vertically on a bulkhead. We shall see! Watch this space......🥱

Last edited:
I'm presuming that I'm sniffing, not mux'ing. The previous owner had the EchoUAT installed. The log entry was pretty sparse but no mention of mux. Additionally, the paperwork I got from the PO included the uAvionix invoice which was for the EchoUAT only...uAvionix tells me that the mux cable would have been purchased and invoiced separately. I too have had BaroALT issues reported on PAPR's, mostly noted in fringe areas, although the FAA hasn't ever mentioned anything to me despite a lot of flights into the Minneapolis Mode C veil, and a lot of Flight Following. I'll still add the encoder, if and when it ever shows up, and when I have the time.

You do not necessarily need the mux adapter. You can send the baro data over RS232 without the mux. The mux was only necessary to match baud rates. Uavionics told me they made this so that if your transponder could only send the data at 9600 baud (quite common) but the serial port you had available on the Echo needed to run at 115200 the mux would "convert" the 9600 baud rate data to 115200. I had sufficient serial ports that I have never used the mux adapter and just run the data directly over RS232.

Just talked to Uavionix. The echoalt encoders for the echouat should start shipping next week. They will be prioritized by need at first. If an aircraft is on the no services list, their need is the greatest, etc.

As I stated in an earlier post, I had years of perfect PAPR reports, but not anymore. I get a baro altitude missing element on every flight. I asked if the FAA has tightened standards and was told that they have. They used to be more lenient when in a non-radar environment. Now they are not. That is what happens in my case. I'm not on their radar during the first and last 10-20 seconds (although I am getting pinged by other aircraft) and that is where my missing elements occur. It's interesting that the aircraft at our airport that don't have ADS-B out but do have mode c transponders also disappear from the TIS-B on short final. Same issue. No radar coverage so no target to rebroadcast over TIS-B.

My concern now are trips to visit my daughter as the airport I use is in the mode c veil and I will be taking off and landing.

Henry

My last Flightaware tracking was in December when I left my valley & flew over the mountain ridges into TN or GA. Last week, I flew Northeast over the Asheville airport & returned the same route. Flightaware did not pick me up & my FAA compliance report came back as no flight found. It appears something changed in 2024.
I'm using the EchoUAT with the MUX connector & formally had the Navworx setup with the GTX327.
I added my name to the UAvionix encoder list.

Update: I flew over the mountain ridge into TN yesterday & my ADS-B out was picked up on Flightaware & the FAA report. I really don't understand why it was not picked up last week when I flew over Class C Asheville.

Last edited:
Back