What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identifying a lycoming crank

rvator9a

Well Known Member
Looking for some direction or information. I was given a crankshaft that allegedly came from a maule. It is a 4 cyl crank that appears to be relatively light wieght as it has holed thru the crank pins and holes in the prop flange, but I cannot find any part numbers on it. I have looked closely at the flange and all over it the only numbers I have found are a cast in number near the center journal that reads. W-G 9152-a. I also found numbers scribed into the prop flange and on the rear of the crank that read s-64493-1. A rough measurment of the journals is 2.365 on the mains and 2.215 on the rods. I have tried contacting lycoming and had no luck. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Looking for some direction or information. I was given a crankshaft that allegedly came from a maule. It is a 4 cyl crank that appears to be relatively light wieght as it has holed thru the crank pins and holes in the prop flange, but I cannot find any part numbers on it. I have looked closely at the flange and all over it the only numbers I have found are a cast in number near the center journal that reads. W-G 9152-a. I also found numbers scribed into the prop flange and on the rear of the crank that read s-64493-1. A rough measurment of the journals is 2.365 on the mains and 2.215 on the rods. I have tried contacting lycoming and had no luck. Any assistance would be appreciated.
S-64493-1 appears to be an Aircraft Specialties part tracking number. Call them to see if they have record of that crank.

Here was mine...they engrave it in the crank

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 01.01.13.png

S-64493-1 appears to be an Aircraft Specialties part tracking number. Call them to see if they have record of that crank.

View attachment 59776

View attachment 59776
I think you must be right, it looks like something a shop would scribe on there. I called aircraft specialties, talked to a very nice guy on the phone. He tried to look it up but the number was to old for their records. I am going to send it to them and see if it is any good. Thank you very much fot the suggestion.

Put a picture on here so we can see it. One of the crankshaft and the other of the flange. Also on the end (assy case side) to see if there is a dowel pin sticking out to the recessed area in the end of the crankshaft.
A 4 cylinder Lycoming crank will have 3 main bearings (long front, middle and end) and have 4 con rod mains.
Early M-4's had 0-300, which is a 6 cylinder engine. Later Maules had Lyc's in them, most likely a 0-360, but could be a 0-320 M-7 Sportplane.

Im not sure how to post pictures on the site. The crank is definitely a lycoming 4 cylinder. It does have a dowel on the accessory end. The prop flange is .215 in thick with 1 in lightening holes between the prop bolts. It also has approximately 1.35 in lightening holes in the throws and main bearings, the front of the crank is also hollow. Except for the accessory end you can almost see right though the crank.

Back