What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ideas for engine storage-

Hartstoc

Well Known Member
The list of major mods I?m doing on my RV kept growing, so the resulting down time for the engine is becoming a concern. A VAF search on the topic takes one to many threads with a lot of good ideas, but there seems to be a blind spot in the many that I reviewed. Placing desiccant bags in the exhaust and sealing those and the intakes is a common theme and a good idea, but none of the posts I saw pointed out that the induction and exhaust systems communicate only with the combustion chambers.

Humidity inside the crankcase itself is an equal concern, and there are ways to expose that environment to desiccants as well. Since one of my mods is a second LightSpeed PlasmaIII, I chose that somewhat invasive place for a bag of desiccant as shown in the photos below, but there are at least two other possibilities as well. Material from nylon paint strainer bags tied shut with safety wire offer a good way to contain the desiccant(I double-bag it just to be sure). I shoved a fist-sized bag into the magneto hole and spring-loaded the cover provided by Lightspeed in place as shown, making it easy to check the desiccant color frequently.

Another less invasive option is to tape-seal the top half of an empty oil bottle inserted into the filler tube in place, toss in a desiccant bag, then slip the lower half of the bottle over it trombone-style and tape-seal the overlap. This could also be done on the breather tube, which should be sealed shut one way or the other.

Just a thought that might be useful- apologies if this has been covered in earlier threads that did not turn up on my searches.- Otis
2v2EWPvA9xBELK5.jpg

2v2EWPvB8xBELK5.jpg

2v2EWPv6MxBELK5.jpg

2v2EWPvtzxBELK5.jpg

2v2EWPvR3xBELK5.jpg

Back