What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ID Plate Location?

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm wondering where other Canadians have been putting the ID plates. I was planning to mount it on the side of the fuselage under the HS, but I just reviewed CAR 201.01(2) and my initial conclusion was that this location really doesn't work.

The ID plate needs to be mounted "to the structure of the aircraft in a place where it is visible to a person on the ground or to a person at the main entrance or rearmost entrance door". My next plan was to put it on the side of the fuselage, just ahead of the HS, which is sort of out of the way, but "visible to a person on the ground". But, they don't actually say that the person has to be "standing" on the ground. So, maybe my original below the HS idea actually works, as if the person is actually laying on the ground they could see it.

Has anyone who mounted the ID plate on the side of the fuselage below the HS had a problem with the inspectors?

From the Ground

Kevin Horton said:
The ID plate needs to be mounted "to the structure of the aircraft in a place where it is visible to a person on the ground or to a person at the main entrance or rearmost entrance door".
I think the under the Horz Stab is perfect. I read "on the ground " means laying on the ground. It does not say you have to stand erect on your feet to see it.

Kevin Horton said:
Has anyone who mounted the ID plate on the side of the fuselage below the HS had a problem with the inspectors?
3 RV's I have owned, built or help build and certify and about 30 RV's I know of or flown with, all with plates under the HS. Now this is in the lower 48, not up in the hinterlands, so take it from your fellow Ca-nooks; however the key words "from the ground" is clear to me, FROM THE GROUND. Lay on your side under a RV horz stab (from the ground) and you will have a face full if ID plate if there is one there. Also it is almost the DEFACTO location in the USA for RV's and their ID plates. There is nothing wrong with putting it near the cockpit, but it needs to be outside right?

On the Boeing planes the plate is mounted inside the number one door left sill? (Not visible when door is closed.) May be you could put the plate on our canopy sill or "land" visible only when open. However from US regs of the top of my head it has to visible from the outside for experimental? Its not a safety issue and probably depends on who or what Gov agent does the inspection.)

Last edited:
IIRC the US FAR is worded in a similar or identical fashion. Everyone here seems to be putting it under the HS, and that's where I put mine.

The US used to allow the data plate to be inside, but when the "DEA" began requiring the Make, Model & Serial number to be on the outside, FAA changed the rule thereby making the data plate kill 2 birds with one stone.

Certified vs Homebuilt

Here is the current CAR "Canadian Air Regulation" relating to data plate....

549.17 Identification Plate

In accordance with the requirements of Air Regulations Series II, No. 1: Regulations Respecting the Identification of Aircraft and Other Aeronautical Products, a fireproof identification plate shall be secured in a prominent location on a part of the structure that is not removable. The information on this shall include:

(a) Name of builder;

(b) Model designation;

(c) Serial number;

(d) Date of manufacture; and

(e) Nationality and registration marks.

mikeljshields said:
Here is the current CAR "Canadian Air Regulation" relating to data plate....
Actually, that has been superceded by an exemption to CAR 549.01. The ID plate requirements are now:
In accordance with the requirements of CAR 201.01, a fireproof plate that identifies the
aircraft shall be attached to a non-removable part of the structure in a prominent location. The
plate shall include the following information:
a) the name of the builder;
b) the aircraft model designation;
c) the aircraft serial number.
But, the ID plate location requirements of CAR 201.01(2) still apply:
...the manufacturer or aircraft owner, as the case may be, shall attach to the aircraft an aircraft identification plate that contains the information required by subsection (4)

(a) in the case of an aircraft other than an ultra-light aeroplane or a balloon, to the structure of the aircraft in a place where it is visible to a person on the ground or to a person at the main entrance or rearmost entrance door;
A local RV-3 builder made a suggestion that I am considering. He did not put his plate below the HS, because he figured the edge of the plate made just one more place for grime to collect. He put it on the turtle deck skin, just behind the cockpit, where it is visible through the canopy. That way it is out of the elements, and out of the wind. I may very well do the same thing, as a location below the HS conflicts with some elements of my paint scheme.

This would not be allowed in the U.S. Here the data plate must be external. Viewing it "through" the canopy would not be possible with a canopy cover on.

Mel said:
This would not be allowed in the U.S. Here the data plate must be external. Viewing it "through" the canopy would not be possible with a canopy cover on.
Yes, FAR 45.11 is worded differently from the Canadian requirements. FAR 45.11 requires that the data plate be attached to the "aircraft fuselage exterior". I can't find any similar requirement in the Canadian regs.

Kevin I have always nailed the data plate on the RV- side by side models in the baggage compartment on the fixed side panel and have had no problems with the inspectors.

Hey Kevin

You can see that I put mine just under the leading edge of the hstab. Tim Parsons did my inspection and he had no comments on its location, so I assume that it is OK. You can just make out the plate in this pic:

paint19.jpg

You must be getting close if you're putting your inspection plate on :)

Cheers

Mel said:

My reading of the regs allowed the data plate to be internal if there is another data plate external that has the aircraft model (or manufacturer ?) and serial number. I placed the main data plate inside, on the plate that supports the front seat back support, on the right side. I also placed a smaller data plate below the horizontal stabilizer. My A/C was inspected by an FAA inspector and he agreed that it was acceptable.

Karl

The external data plate must include the Make, Model, & Serial number.
FAR part 45.11(a). The "internal" plate you describe is not required.

Back