What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A-210 RADIO GROUP BUY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the total number of orders on the Group Buy now? Even though I have an A200 already, I'm thinking of making the switch.

I don't want to get caught waiting forever for a huge backlog, so it's tempting to pay a little extra and order from someone that has them in stock. If the price break is big enough, and it looks like backorders aren't going to be a problem I'll join the group buy.

G

Guy--

CJ told me on another board that the count is in the "high double digits". The second price break (200 units) has not been reached, so they are still at $1119.

He expects a surge during this last week, but I wonder if it will get to 200 units.

Wish I could jump in, but a $1000 pool filter repair just pushed my Fuse order back a month...sure don't need a radio any time soon! :(

Joe

Guy, Joe is right.

Joe, who needs a pool filter in the winter anyways!

;)

Any way you slice it, this is still the best price anywhere on this radio.

I am not sure why people aren't more interested in this purchase. Oh well, I tried for 500 units. Maybe featuring it on the front page this last week would be a good idea? Hmmmm...

;) CJ

HA!

I knew I would getcha with that!

Don't make me have to strong arm you like I did Chad in order to get you to jump in on this deal!

DFW is a long way for me to travel just to make you do the right thing for your plane!

:D CJ

I'll make you a deal...

If you're stuck at 199 orders, I'll pony up for #200, and push my fuse order another month. I guess I can just strap the radio to the HS and listen to the local traffic while I twiddle my thumbs in the garage (or worse...work on house stuff for the wife!!!:eek:)

:D

J

Howsabout I pay you the difference in Samuel Adams Oktoberfest like I am doing for Chad?

beer2.gif
CJ

That's a great offer...I'll add it to the 46 bottles I have left in the garage fridge stash! LOVE that stuff!!!

J

<snip>Don't make me have to strong arm you like I did Chad in order to get you to jump in on this deal!:D CJ
Hey, I don't think it was your strong arming that got me in...maybe reverse psychology or something...the difference in SA Octoberfest's might have somthing to do with it...;)

C'mon VAF! Get in on this!!:cool:

You are welcome!

This is the reason I do it. I do it for all of you. I make nothing off these deals.

...aside from saving a little myself too!

Let's all send Tom an order this week and close this deal out high!

:) CJ

The only problem is that the hole in my panel will have to go another month before it gets filled :). I ordered my 210 on the first day Spruce was supposed to officially begin taking orders. That is the problem with the group buys, if you snooze you loose. I got my Hooker Harness' on the last group buy and will closely monitor the Capt's group buys in the future. I love saving money.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A finishing up the slider canopy and the firewall forward. On to the panel now that my radio will ship next week

Get off the fence...

I'm in no hurry for my 210 but I'd guess that a lot of guys, like Steve, who have committed to Cap'n Johns group buy are sort of expecting the deal to be done tomorrow. It's a really good deal even if we don't get 500 orders so if you want one of these climb done off the fence and pick up the phone....

Jim McChesney
-7A QB Fuselage

I am sure that I can't extend it any longer. I would have more people upset than happy.

You are all welcome. I do it for the group.

One more day!

It ends on the 12th!

Send Tom at Spruce an email indicating your interest in the buy before the end of the day tomorrow and he will get back to you with payment information.

Looking at the numbers, we have a chance of getting into the next second category if some more people send in some emails!

Thank you to all who have already participated!

Maybe this has already been addressed but I notice the small print in the ad Icom had in the EAA mag this month said something like the FCC has not approved this product and the product can't be sold until the FCC approves it.

Has this been done?

Maybe this has already been addressed but I notice the small print in the ad Icom had in the EAA mag this month said something like the FCC has not approved this product and the product can't be sold until the FCC approves it.

Has this been done?

Hi Bob,

When I talked to them the first day at Oshkosh this summer, they said it hadnt been approved yet. Then, the radio got approved a couple of days later and they started taking orders then.

Should I

Still working on my RV7a empanage. Haven't even thought about radios yet. I had a Cherokee 140 with a Gamin 340 and would like that in the RV7. Would like advice on how I would best ultilize the Icom along with the Garmin.

The ICOM 210 would function just like any other COM radio into the GMA340 audio panel. I am planning the exact same setup - GMA340 audio panel with a ICOM 210 COM and a Garmin GNS-430W GPS/NAV/COM.

Hi Bob,

When I talked to them the first day at Oshkosh this summer, they said it hadnt been approved yet. Then, the radio got approved a couple of days later and they started taking orders then.

Thank you, Tom. I don't need a radio yet. And I know people say wait to the last minute to buy all the avionics, but that assumes a bottomless pit of cash. I'm nowhere near installation. But I might as well order it because it'll be a lot easier paying for this stuff over a longer period of time.

Thanks for setting the deal up.

BTW, back to that ad for a second. The white numbers on the radio in the picture, those were Photoshopped in, right?

Thank you, Tom. I don't need a radio yet. And I know people say wait to the last minute to buy all the avionics, but that assumes a bottomless pit of cash. I'm nowhere near installation. But I might as well order it because it'll be a lot easier paying for this stuff over a longer period of time.

Thanks for setting the deal up.

BTW, back to that ad for a second. The white numbers on the radio in the picture, those were Photoshopped in, right?

Bob, NO... those white numbers WERE NOT photoshopped in!

That is the next gen displays we have to look forward to!

Yes, we are aging!

Can you imagine what these things will look like in color 10 years down the road!?!

P.S. The deal is DONE!

It is OVER!

You snooze, you lose!

I am open to suggestion for a next buy. See me on www.rivetbangers.com for future deals. I will be glad to accomodate, so long as I want one for my project!

;)

ICOM IC-A200 group buy final count

What was the final count and what is our final cost for the ICOM A210 group buy?

I am not sure yet.

Historically, not everyone sends me an email after purchasing so my count is always low.

I will talk to Tom next week and find out.

I know we were close to the second price break. I hope we made it!

P.S. Anyone interested in Lord (read BEEFY) engine mounts next? They say the ones in the kit tend to let the engine sag over time, like most things in life!

Maybe PS8000 audio panels? I talked to PS about their new unit, but they wouldn't talk turkey.

Any other suggestions?

I jumped on the A-210 bandwagon on Thursday, so I made the deadline. I'm glad to hear the positive reports and can't wait to get mine.

And I'd be interested in a PM8000 group buy, too. My panel components are starting to show up, so I may need an audio panel before a group buy could be formed. That's my only disclaimer.

What happens next?

Anyone heard from Aircraft Spruce yet about their order? Will the radio just show up on the door step in a week? Not sure how this wraps up. I am sure ACS doesn't want 200 people calling in about their orders.

Steve Eberhart

No Charge to CC yet

I do all electronic banking and update my account daily, as of yet no charge from ACS for the radio! When I place orders the charge shows up within 24hrs. Since I left my name and number with Tom but received no confirmation (he did not ask for email), not sure if mine was lost in the shuffle. I spoke with Tom directly when I ordered because I was not getting any response from the email I sent. Anyone who has seen the charge show up on there account please post here so we can gauge when our accounts will get charged. I will call ACS if it does not show by the end of the week.

Cheers

Anyone heard from Aircraft Spruce yet about their order? Will the radio just show up on the door step in a week? Not sure how this wraps up. I am sure ACS doesn't want 200 people calling in about their orders.

Steve Eberhart

I received an order confirmation email today from Aircraft Spruce that says the price is $1119 and the radio is backordered.

Email confirmation of order "Back ordered"

Go figure, just after I post that I have not heard a thing, later the same day the email comes from ACS. The radio is on back order, based on the $1119 price I guess we did not reach the 200 threshold.

Cheers

backordered

yep....I got the back ordered e mail too :(

Be nice to know an estimated when. I assumed (we know what that means) that they would have radios. I guess not.

Sal

I talked to Tom Glaze on Monday. He told me to call if I have not recevied the radio within two weeks. He didn't think it would be longer than that. He had to wait to place the order with ICOM until Monday since he didn't know the total number of radios he would need until then.

When I placed my order with Tom...

I told him that I wasn't in a big hurry for mine so he could back order me and send one to some one who's in a hurry. He said that that wouldn't be necessary. He said that he had been in communication with Icom so the factory would know what we were up to and he didn't expect big delays.

Jim McChesney
-7A finishing

I also just got the charge. $1,119 and the notification that the item is backordered. I wonder how close we came to 200? No matter. If I didn't spend it, I'd have just lost it in the stock market anyway.,

I also just got the charge. $1,119 and the notification that the item is backordered. I wonder how close we came to 200? No matter. If I didn't spend it, I'd have just lost it in the stock market anyway.,
Tom said we were "south of 150."

I think the problem with this group buy was that the deal wasn't good enough to get people who didn't need the radio right away to buy in. It has to be good enough to encourage people to pull money out of savings or investments early. Discounts of less than 10% won't generally do that, I don't think. I'm not sure if there is enough profit margin on avionics to make such possible, but the 30% or so off milspec camlocs a year or two ago was exactly that type of deal.

I needed the radio now, though, so it turned out to be a good enough deal for me. Again, still better than any advertised price elsewhere.

Last edited:
I received an order confirmation email today from Aircraft Spruce that says the price is $1119 and the radio is backordered.

I hear that the official count is 68 units sold. I severely underestimated this one. Dunno why more people didn't participate, really.

I hear that some radios will be backordered. I am guessing first come, first serve.

Thank you all for helping out.

I am working on the Lord mounts right now.

I will be in touch!

;) CJ

We all appreciate the effort put forth for this one anyway John! Even at 68 sold, it was still a good sale price!:cool:

I wish I were closer to where you are, then I'd jump on these group deals. I almost caved and bought a radio, but that would have put a real dent in my savings for my finish kit. A radio, or the prop governer would have set me back a couple of months on ordering the finish kit. I need to have the finish kit in house before I start springing for extra "goodies"

One of these days I'd like to hook up with you and your friends out there in Mass. Shoot me an email next time you are planning a working get together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back