What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I need to change all 4 cylinders - any tips/advice?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
Hey guys,

I found what looked to be a cracked cylinder during my annual on my IO-360. In doing some more research, I have the Titan/ECI cylinders that fell under the AD in 2006. While I'm in the serial number group that allows me to keep them to TBO with 50 hour inspections, I have opted to just change all 4.

4 new ported cylinders from Lycon are OTW.

I have an experienced A&P to help me with the swap. We will do 1 cylinder at a time. 1 off, 1 on. I will remove all the baffling and other stuff prior to him coming out.

Any tips or suggestions for this? I'm already familiar with all the Mike Busch / Savvy stuff.

The Lycoming maintenance manuals have recommended torque sequencing (U shaped pattern I believe from the middle out) and the torque specs. I like to use all new washers on the intake and exhaust, Don’t over tighten the intake flanges or they’ll bend.. might be a good time to replace the intake rubbers and the oil drain back hoses. I used some thicker stuff from spruce and fuel injection clamps, but this thread has luck with the constant tension clamps.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1185599&postcount=3

SDS has O ring intake seals that I used and are nice..

Baffle sealing

You will need to reseal the baffles. The inter-cylinder baffles are a terrible fit especially at the base near the cylinder hold down nuts.

I used black RTV from a pressure dispenser. If you are not pulling the motor, you will likely need some small vinyl tubing to reach the places you want to seal.

Attachments

• IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 99
Hello Moe

I'm doing the exact same thing on the ECI cylinders on a 500 hr new to me 9A.

I've been getting the run around and promises on 4 new cylinders for almost 2 months and I really don't know what to believe.

One thing for certain is that both Superior and Lycoming are months behind.

If you have any luck scoring some new jugs, would you mind letting me know where you find them?

Of course after you have secured yours.

Thanks

Tim

Hello Moe

I'm doing the exact same thing on the ECI cylinders on a 500 hr new to me 9A.

Of course after you have secured yours.

Thanks

Tim

Lycon has brand new Lycoming cylinders in stock. I believe you will have to get them ported for them to sell to you. Ask for Josh in parts. 559-651-1070

I was a hair over $10k for 4 new cylinders, ported & flow matched, delivered to NJ.

$10,000 will be over $14,000 cdn by the time they make Canada.

Why do they need to be ported and port matched? What kind of power increase does that actually give you on an engine when wide open is 2700 rpm?

Thanks

Tim

Doubt I'll see any increase, but to get a set now I had to buy from what they had set aside for porting.

Like anything else, if you don't want to wait, be ready to pay. I didn't want the down time. Call them and ask if you can forego porting.

Hey guys,

I found what looked to be a cracked cylinder during my annual on my IO-360. In doing some more research, I have the Titan/ECI cylinders that fell under the AD in 2006. While I'm in the serial number group that allows me to keep them to TBO with 50 hour inspections, I have opted to just change all 4.

4 new ported cylinders from Lycon are OTW.

I have an experienced A&P to help me with the swap. We will do 1 cylinder at a time. 1 off, 1 on. I will remove all the baffling and other stuff prior to him coming out.

Any tips or suggestions for this? I'm already familiar with all the Mike Busch / Savvy stuff.

Wide Deck or narrow deck?

Advice? Yes, get a set of these from Blake so that the torque isn't lost between the case halves.

Lycoming cylinder torque plates

Your mechanic may have them, but if not, do yourself a favor and invest (chump change!) in a set.

If I recall, Mike Busch had an article regarding the importance of following proper techniques when swapping a cylinder(s). Not upsetting (loosening) the case halves was one of the important items discussed.

I have torque plates, but if you replace one at a time they aren't needed.

Advice? Yes, get a set of these from Blake so that the torque isn't lost between the case halves.

Lycoming cylinder torque plates

Your mechanic may have them, but if not, do yourself a favor and invest (chump change!) in a set.

If I recall, Mike Busch had an article regarding the importance of following proper techniques when swapping a cylinder(s). Not upsetting (loosening) the case halves was one of the important items discussed.

Back