What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS 404-405-710 help needed

Supereri

Well I have drilled out this rivet one too many times and the hole looks terrible. I have not really gotten close to any edges and I think it is salvagable at this point, but I am not sure how. My initial thought is to drill it larger and use either a nut/bolt, or a rivet bigger than what is included in the kit.
http://www.rv7abuilder.com/ The post is on Feb 23 titled "Another messup"

Also in one of the pictures you can see a rivet that has a "crease" in it. Do I need to drill that one out as well? The shop head on that one looks fine, it's just the manufactured head I am wondering about.

Hi Eric:

First off, try not to get too frustrated with problems like this. You'll see it again, I'm sure. I would call Van's and ask them to be sure. It doesn't look like you have too much of an edge distance problem, and what I would do would be to drill out the hole for a AN470AD5 rivet. I ordered quite a few of these and have had occasion to use a couple of them. General rule of thumb: if you enlarge a hole too much to for a rivet, the next largest size rivet should be used, assuming that you are not creating an edge-distance problem.

Hope that helps.

Jamie - Finishing up Wings, Fuselage is in the back of the truck on an interstate somewhere between Oregon and Georgia. :D

Oh yeah, if you use the AN470AD5 rivets, you'll need a different set for your rivet gun.

I am not too worried about this one. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be too much of an issue, as the edge distance were all looking pretty good. I missed Vans this morning so hopefully I can get em later today and get it resolved.

I don't remember seeing and AD5s on the inventory sheet so I figured I would be ordering them.

Thanks for the advice Jamie.

Just spoke with Vans about this issue. If I cannot get a 5/32 rivet in there it is a replacement issue. I remember putting a #21 drill bit in the hole (by hand just to test for size) and it fit in there so the hole is bigger than 5/32 so I think (depending on how the drilling out of the current rivets goes) I am going to end up basically starting over on the front spar/ribs...

HS-710 20.00 ea
HS-714 20.00 ea
HS-404 16.40 pair
HS-405 29.50 pair
HS-702 33.00 pair

HS 404-405-710 suggestion

Looks like you are using a rivet gun and bucking bar and having some challenges getting the hang of it. You may want to consider investing in a longeron yoke for a hand squeezer for difficult spots like this one. Good luck and don't give up.

I rarely see this posted for people but if you have not already, regulate your air pressure down to between 40-50 psi for #4 rivets and 30-40psi for #3 rivets. Good luck!

Jeff

I was using a hand squeezer for this. I have only used the gun on the VS skin flush rivets. I definately think I am going to look for a longeron yoke though, I think your right and that will be just the ticket.

The rivet drilling went very well tonight and it looks like I will only need three parts and not all of them like I had feared. Can't say as much for my finger though. I caught it with the air drill and cut it open a little, nothing serious thankfully. That hurt a little, but what really hurt was digging the metal shavings out of the wound. :(

Ah well tomorrow is another day, and I have 9 more fingers.

Back