What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to start IFR Training

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I have about 220 hours on my RV 9A and about 320 total. I have ZERO interest in flying in crappy weather and if it is too bumpy, I will land.

BUT - I would like to understand more about IFR, flight routes, approaches, and how to use my G3X better.

My question is - what path should I take? I dont want to waste my time and money not knowing what the terms even mean or a basic understanding of what I will be learning.

Can anyone recommend a course or book for me to study to at least learn what the terms are?

Should I do the online Garmin G3X course first or even go to Olathe?
Find an online IFR course?

I dont know if I would go on to get my IFR rating but want to at least understand what someone is talking about when they make the call - Im on an R Nav approach ( not even sure if that is correct!)

Thanks

One idea

Pilot Workshops sells an "IFR Procedures" booklet billed as a "pilot friendly manual." It's probably designed for those who already have instrument ratings but occasionally need a quick refresher about stuff they don't necessarily do all that often (which is why I own it.... :)).

Anyway, it would be a pretty good starting place for you to familiarize yourself with the terminology and "what's going on" in IFR flights. You could then investigate more from there as needed.

I have about 220 hours on my RV 9A and about 320 total. I have ZERO interest in flying in crappy weather and if it is too bumpy, I will land.

BUT - I would like to understand more about IFR, flight routes, approaches, and how to use my G3X better.

My question is - what path should I take? I dont want to waste my time and money not knowing what the terms even mean or a basic understanding of what I will be learning.

Can anyone recommend a course or book for me to study to at least learn what the terms are?

I dont know if I would go on to get my IFR rating but want to at least understand what someone is talking about when they make the call - Im on an R Nav approach ( not even sure if that is correct!)

Thanks

Thanks

There are a number of study books you can buy, but the FAA provides all the information for free:

Instrument Procedures Handbook

Instrument Flying Handbook

Sportys instrument rating and test prep is the best way to get up to speed on what you’d need to know. No sense in flying with a CFII until you know the basics.

Sportys instrument rating and test prep is the best way to get up to speed on what you’d need to know. No sense in flying with a CFII until you know the basics.

That is what I figured. I didnt want to waste an instructors or my time until I had a clue of what was going on.
I am a fan of Sportys. I bought their Private course about 5 years before I started taking lessons and they updated me to all the latest info for free and my account is still active 4 years later.

Just me

I did the Sporty's course through the DVDs several years back. i found it boring and tedious, but I think it satisfied the FAA ground school hours requirement.
Now I am just studying the IFR manual from the FAA.

I’m an active cfii, but the following is just my opinion:
I always encourage my instrument students to get the written out of the way before doing any ifr flight training. Learning the jargon, understanding what’s going on, etc., is useful, and is best learned on the ground.
I’ve had science-engineering types who just read the books (faa books mentioned earlier). This is somewhat like reading a textbook, not for everyone. Others used various on-line courses (around $100). They’re all okay, but different. I like Gleim, found Sportys just so-so, found it hard to take John and Martha King’s sense of humor. See if you can download a free sample lesson, pick one that fits your personality.

Crosswinds

Check with Crosswinds Aviation at KOZW. I took an IFR ground school there and it was very informative. I also bought the Cessna course and Sporty's course, but find I learn better in a classroom setting with an instructor. The class I took was one night a week for about 9 weeks. I also am not interested in flying in the soup but wanted an understanding how it works.

IFR Training

I would speak with a CFII. You should be able to find one a baseball throw from your hangar!

I would speak with a CFII. You should be able to find one a baseball throw from your hangar!

Ha Terry!! You got me through my license with flying colors!! I didnt want to appear to stupid before I came to you for instruction!!

I went up yesterday and it was bumpier than I wanted - made one pass and then came in for a x wind landing that was all I wanted for sure!!

Search IFR training on YouTube.

Thanks Gary. I just did a youtube search and there are a bunch of what look like good videos. I want to make sure I know what the terms are and get a basic understanding of how the IFR system works.

How are you doing? I flew into Howell last week. We need some better flying days around here!!

Check with Crosswinds Aviation at KOZW. I took an IFR ground school there and it was very informative. I also bought the Cessna course and Sporty's course, but find I learn better in a classroom setting with an instructor. The class I took was one night a week for about 9 weeks. I also am not interested in flying in the soup but wanted an understanding how it works.

One advantage of taking an instrument ground school is you will meet other students who will be looking for instrument folks to fly with on practice approaches. You will be doing practice approaches for currency from now on. :rolleyes:

When I got my private, I was going to be a VFR only pilot. (I’m retired, I have the time,I don’t need to fly in anything but severe clear …). When I built my plane, I built it IFR “in case” I wanted to get my IFR. I took my IFR training for the challenge, never intending to do hard IFR - I wanted it just-in-case.

It has made me a much, much better pilot. I still don’t plan hard IFR, but I’m not at all afraid of it, and even practice in it. It has made my plane even more useful, and expanded my skills in many ways. I think the more you taste, the more you will want - go for it!

Rod Machado's book

I started with the King course, and got an 80-something on the written. COVID happened and I had to stop training for so long that my written test expired.

During that time I purchased Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot Handbook and found it to be easy to read, and much more in-depth than the King's "here is a short video, now take a quiz" approach. If you skip over all of the corny jokes, this is a *really* good book.

There are no quizzes or question and answer sections. Just a very easy-to-read narrative with lots of pictures and diagrams covering all of the knowledge areas, plus additional 'deep dives' into particularly interesting or important topics (as in 'this is not in the syllabus, but it might keep you alive')

When I took the written again I scored a 95.

IFR training

Check out Flightinsight on YouTube. He has free videos and his web site has an IFR course and a G1000 course. While the G1000 is not the G3X, they are very similar.

Check out Flightinsight on YouTube. He has free videos and his web site has an IFR course and a G1000 course. While the G1000 is not the G3X, they are very similar.

+1

Flightinsight in my opinion is one of the best new players in IFR training videos! That guy knows how to explain things and demonstrate them.

+1

+1

Flightinsight in my opinion is one of the best new players in IFR training videos! That guy knows how to explain things and demonstrate them.

Another plus for the flightinsight videos, I tried Sportys, Gleim, etc. to get the written done but they each have their pros and cons. I found the youtube vidoes useful to understand what is going on when in the system and there are Garmin youtube videos about how to use their systems which are also very good. I found that a lot of the IFR work is learning how the use your avionics and being comfortable with them.
I would also recommend just going flying with a good instructor even if you do not plan to get the rating as the experience will be beneficial.
Figs

Another plus for the flightinsight videos, I tried Sportys, Gleim, etc. to get the written done but they each have their pros and cons. I found the youtube vidoes useful to understand what is going on when in the system and there are Garmin youtube videos about how to use their systems which are also very good. I found that a lot of the IFR work is learning how the use your avionics and being comfortable with them.
I would also recommend just going flying with a good instructor even if you do not plan to get the rating as the experience will be beneficial.
Figs

Thanks. I looked at the flightinsght videos and they do look good. I am lucky to have a great instructor (Terry Lutz) that is a hangar neighbor and who helped me get my private. He has a beautiful 8 and a really cool Luscombe.

The more I look into it the more I agree that learning the G3X better will be a great start. As of now I dont believe I will get my IFR rating but who knows. I can see advantages filing flight plans for travel. My main goal is to become a better pilot and understand what is going on in planes flying around me.

Thanks. I looked at the flightinsght videos and they do look good. I am lucky to have a great instructor (Terry Lutz) that is a hangar neighbor and who helped me get my private. He has a beautiful 8 and a really cool Luscombe.

The more I look into it the more I agree that learning the G3X better will be a great start. As of now I dont believe I will get my IFR rating but who knows. I can see advantages filing flight plans for travel. My main goal is to become a better pilot and understand what is going on in planes flying around me.

Rocky, go get that ticket man! You can do it! One step at a time. It makes flying in busy airspace a non-issue. Also, being able to bust through some simple cloud stuff on a cross country sure is handy!

Agreed

Rocky, go get that ticket man! You can do it! One step at a time. It makes flying in busy airspace a non-issue. Also, being able to bust through some simple cloud stuff on a cross country sure is handy!

One of the smartest things I did was getting my IFR ticket. ITs not he easiest thing to do, BUT, I’m sure you are more than capable, especially if you have a good rapport with your instructor!!

Constant updates

My advice is don't use any older IFR manuals or books, or self study packaged training. The FAA procedures, regs, and testing which now includes GPS approaches with less focus on ILS and VORs is constantly evolving.

Many of the older courses include items like ADFs that are hardly used today.

Not to say you should have an understanding of ADFs, just don't trade off study time that would be better used on later technologies or weather study.

Most newer courses like sportys are up to date and do a better job at preparing you for the current IFR environment.

My advice is don't use any older IFR manuals or books, or self study packaged training. The FAA procedures, regs, and testing which now includes GPS approaches with less focus on ILS and VORs is constantly evolving.

Many of the older courses include items like ADFs that are hardly used today.

Not to say you should have an understanding of ADFs, just don't trade off study time that would be better used on later technologies or weather study.

Most newer courses like sportys are up to date and do a better job at preparing you for the current IFR environment.

Good advice Steve. I am not that far from Sportys and used them for my private ground school. As I look into what is available I am amazed at the youtube videos and some of the other publications quality. Im not sure if I will go on to get my rating but for sure want to know how to use my G3X better and set up flight plans - approaches, and a better understanding of entering and exiting class B airspace and ground movements.

I have a few non negotiable limits I made with my wife when I got my license.

1. Dont fly at night
2. Dont fly in crappy weather
3. Dont run out of fuel
4. Dont buzz anyone or anything
5. Dont get a big head because I am a pilot

I have been able to keep 4 of the 5.

Another recommendation for Flightinsight. His training material is the latest and is in my opinion, the greatest. He not only tells you how things are, but gives you they "why" as well.

If you're into podcasts, "Opposing Bases" is one I really like. Two Greensboro Tracon controllers who are also pilots. Weekly podcast with 300+ episodes will give you incredible insight into the IFR system.

Big plus 1 on learning your G3X. Garmin has some free downloadable training, that allows you to set up what you already have in plane, and then play with it.

Doing this, along with getting some ground school training on "IFR language" will help considerably.

Getting your IFR would be a plus in many ways.
1. Makes you a better pilot, you may not use it, but it's there.
2. Should help your insurance.
3. Stuff happens, if you accidently get into some soup. I've been up there when it's advertised as VFR, only to find the smoke haze, it's practically IFR. The last few years, the smoke from the west and north (Canada), it gets pretty hazy.

Back