What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Polish Fuel Caps?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I have a new set of Usher fuel caps I'd like to polish before sending them out for engraving.

I don't have any kind of polishing/buffing wheels or equipment. Can I get good results by hand? Or should I bring them to someplace that has buffing equipment? Trophy shop?

Advice appreciated.

I lapped mine with increasingly fine sandpaper on my back rivet plate ... up to 1500 grit. They didn't come out mirror shiny but had a brushed appearance that liked. In the end they were nice and flat with all the flashing removed. still look good after a few years and a relapping touch up would be fast and easy. I took the cap apart and lapped the latch and body separately.

Last edited:
I pretty much did what Bill did with the standard Van's issued caps. The cap latch mechanism was first removed, after which I did the wet/dry sandpaper thing on a flat table, taking it all the way up to 2000 grit. After that, I used metal polish with a rag and it polished out to almost a mirror finish. It really did not take very long. The caps were then sent off to one of the specialty shops that engrave fuel caps for RVs.

No machines required.

I had a piece of glass handy and worked up to 3000 then used 3M rubbing and polishes for paint. They came out like a mirror. You can buy kits with a series of grits. All wet sanded to keep debris off. Rinse in clean water regularly, especially changing grit. Took about an hour each while watching TV. When reaching polishes, you can use sheets of paper on the glass to make it easier. The final polishes were with old flannel PJ's on the glass.

Use one grit (A), then use the next (B) at 90 deg, when all marks are gone from A move to C etc.

I did take the cap apart to polish the tab separately.

Don't forget the Krytox 205 on assembly!!

Last edited:
Back