What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to fix minor wing trailing edge damage

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Let’s say that hypothetically a guy was working to remove the dreaded ski jump trailing edge from a set of older wings. He may have gotten a little exuberant and ended up with one small buckle where he foolishly stretched the skin in the area of the left aileron inboard hinge.

He then sent a picture to a paint-less dent guy who’s been known to take a dent out of the odd bonanza and whatnot, who told him that it was unlikely that he could get it 100% straight again, but he could easily form in a little doghouse there so that it would look like it was supposed to be there.

If you were this hypothetical guy, would you:
A- let the PDR guy work his magic and put a little doghouse in this area on both sides and and call it a speed mod.

B- cut out the warp as indicated by the sharpie lines and call it a part of the optional Delrin aileron stop mod

C- fret About it all weekend because that’s what we do and there may be another option I haven’t thought of

Hypothetically of course, because nobody would be dumb enough to do this in real life

Attachments

• 7C76761F-83FE-413E-B289-53FEF1DD37E2.jpeg
    7C76761F-83FE-413E-B289-53FEF1DD37E2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • FB783C0A-85F8-4342-8A2C-F4B43D058E2F.jpeg
    FB783C0A-85F8-4342-8A2C-F4B43D058E2F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
I thought about that, but I have to confess I have no experience with a shrink at all. I looked online and the only one I was was a sort of bench top model so that’s why I called the dent guy.

Do they make a handheld version. What I’m envisioning is something like a reverse action wire stripper?

If that’s a thing, I would give it a go

Or do nothing.

If the aileron will move without catching the edge.

Boomer

A side effect of a shrinker is that it will marr the metal because it has little "teeth" that grip the metal to unstretch it.

Another option D is to fill the dent with an appropriate filler prior to painting. The skin edge will end up being a little thicker but that should be less noticeable than a blemish in the flat surface,

Back